Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you didn't order EAP at $5K, would you buy AP+FSD for $5K now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We didn't opt for EAP when we bought the LR RWD late last year or after the 30-day EAP trial. We own a Volvo with "pilot-assist" (lane keeping, adaptive cruise, etc.). While Tesla EAP was somewhat better in keeping lanes, and offers a couple of more features, I was still a bit underwhelmed to pay $5K+ for it. I know many of you love EAP and wouldn't even own a Tesla without it. So I guess my question is directed to those who opted not to get EAP.

With Tesla trying hard to win our money with the AP+FSD price drop, would you pay them the $5K now? Whether yes or no, I'd love to hear your reasons.

I'm still on the fence. The FSD vaporware interests me because we plan to keep this car for many years, but with Tesla constantly moving the goalposts on what FSD means and when it would be available, I'm also concerned that FSD may just become a rebranded term for EAP and that we would have to buy some other newly coined Tesla package like "Autonomous FSD" for another fee if and when real autonomous capabilities are available. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Tesla in thinking this way.

Don't forget that you can also get just AP for $2k. That's what I would do if I had the choice now given my experience with EAP. I basically never use Summon, Autopart and NoA, and $2k feels like a fair price for TACC and Autosteer. At least in the near term you can still buy FSD for $3k if you feel the itch.

I am coming up on 1 yr of owning my model 3 without autopilot. I felt it was way to expensive for something that I can do myself perfectly fine (drive the car). I also reallllly enjoy driving my model 3. Its so much fun to drive even a year later I'm still astounded every time I hit the accelerator or sweep along a curve.

That said I am also now seriously on the fence about getting the 2k AP package. I had the 30 day free trial of AP and never used summon beyond a quick test, nor autopark, and felt NoA was pretty much useless so this package is ideal for me.

Assuming over the life of my car I'll drive 50% on AP thats ~100k miles -> $2,000/100k miles is 2 cents per mile addiitonal cost. I currently pay 5.8 cents to drive (electricity cost) so the AP would represent an additional 34% increase in price.

All that logic and financial calcs aside purchasing a Model 3 was not logical nor a good financial decision in the first place (vs another prius which my TM3 replaced).

At the moment I'm on the fence not leaning either way. I'm interested in the responses here as well thanks for posting!

edit: as for FSD thats still vaporware in my mind and I feel Tesla is still very far away (as is everyone else) from L5 autonomy

Reactions: geometro
I don’t have EAP or FSD on my P3D. I am considering adding vanilla AP for $2k and then FSD down the road when some features materialize. Now who knows how long the price is good for, I wouldn’t be surprised they pull a demand lever on that too.
Agreed, this is my plan as well. Autosteer and TACC is good enough for me. Summon is cool but in practice I would never use it. Self parking is gimmicky at best (in my opinion) and is slow. Navigate on Autopilot would be a good reason but otherwise, I’ll likely be waiting until FSD actually becomes a thing.

Reactions: fiatlux
I’ll be picking up AP for trips, NOA didn’t ever work on the one trip I took during the previous trial.

I hope they offer a FSD trial once the features are actual available.
AP doesn’t help me on my commute, but FSD might. Curious just how well it will for $3K

I'm a proponent of getting HW3 (which until we know otherwise comes with FSD) because I strongly believe it's going to be tied to new features possibly coming down the pipeline.

So I don't want to see people get left behind with HW2.5

At the same time I don't think there is any rush. $5K is a heck of a lot of money to someone. So its not like most of us have that sitting around in our bank accounts. Plus it tells me that they're a bit more careful with their money or less enthusiastic in trying out some new technology that will take some time to get working right. Tesla is still trying to get NoA to work well.

So I think the best approach for that camp on average is to wait, and see. I haven't seen any expiration date for the special half off offer.

Hopefully Tesla will come out with some really neat feature for it. It would be hilarious if it was some custom video game.

Question - So what convinced you to fork over $5K for the FSD/HW3.

Answer - Umm, I needed that package to play Tesla Fortnite.

We own a Volvo with "pilot-assist" (lane keeping, adaptive cruise, etc.). While Tesla EAP was somewhat better in keeping lanes, and offers a couple of more features,

As someone else who owns a PA2 Volvo and a Tesla (with EAP), allow me to urge you not to compare the two. Tesla's system is head-and-shoulders better than Volvo's.

Volvo's system is good for stop-and-go traffic but will happily drive you right off the road on a curve. It also disengages with no audible alert when it gets confused, and has more frequent nags when it's not.

I have a P3D- without any AP. I got the 5k refund for the Perf price change, so i'll just give that 5k right back to Tesla for AP+FSD. I actually liked the NoA when i had the trial. Plus the HW upgrade (if it happens), and resale value may go up a bit if I had to sell. This thread should be a poll.
All I wanted as P3d- owner was the 3k or FSD. I didn't feel 5k was really what we deserved (much more so actually) but wasn't going to refuse it after having to argue with tesla over getting some compensation for months (and only felt entitled to some kind of compensation since they offered it to P3D+, but both cars were affected by the price drops.

I would totally buy FSD package for 5k YES Take my money! Your basically getting EAP plus more future updates, and possibly an upgraded computer too.

VERY much yes I would buy it, I would buy AP absolutely positively for 2k though if you can't afford FSD package.

FSD in this context is NOT Vaporwear, because it adds NOA, summon, and auto park.