Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pollux,

First of all, I can not type. 107,xxx- 7500 is $99,500 ish so I need to correct the post. Everyone's sales tax is different and often the ability to reduce that sales tax by trading in is different. I've just tried to develop a way of looking at the problem and deciding how much depreciation is acceptable. I can not defend the logic; it's just mine :)

Sir,

Apparently, I can't read and/or subtract, which pairs well with your typo. :)

I can't quibble if that's just your way; thank you for a gracious response.

By the way, please let me explain why this issue particularly attracts my attention. I agree completely with your earlier point that ultimately the market decides on the value. But I believe that the market's consensus for Tesla value is influenced by the discussions in this august forum. For too long, I think the issue of the $7500 federal tax credit -- and probably also any subsidiary state tax credits -- has been effectively treated as a "pass through" to the next buyer. If people in this forum start seeing the issue differently, then the change of opinion here may well influence changes in valuation in the real world. Given that you are an opinion leader in this forum or elsewhere, changing your opinion could help start a cascade towards changing opinions in the forum and the real world.

Depreciation is real. Wear and tear. I don't even mind arriving at the same ultimate dollar value for the car, as long as I believe it's due to wear and tear and the passage of time, rather than slicing off a gift handed out by a fickle State. Thanks for your patience with me.

Thanks,
Alan

Pollux,

First of all, I can not type. 107,xxx- 7500 is $99,500 ish so I need to correct the post. Everyone's sales tax is different and often the ability to reduce that sales tax by trading in is different. I've just tried to develop a way of looking at the problem and deciding how much depreciation is acceptable. I can not defend the logic; it's just mine :)

2014 S85 delivered Sept 19
985 miles
Original price paid (net of tax credit) - $86,470
Tesla trade-in offer - $83,600

Only reason I am considering this is because I have yet to register in VA and pay state sales tax. VA is a state where you pay the sales tax regardless of any trade-in applied so hypothetically I could "trade up" to an 85D with the exact same options for ~$7000 ($2870 depreciation + $4000 for AWD).

I would have thought they would be a little different. Like Elon Musk said, "service shouldn't be a profit center".. and while they do need to make money on the CPO program to cover inspection, repairs and insurance (like lemon law for used cars), I would have thought that maybe, just maybe, in this case with the announcement of the "D" that Tesla would have made "reasonable" offers to anyone wanting to sell back their cars in order to order a "D" car. Or maybe but a time limit on it -- so they say "For the next 4 weeks, our offers for Model S trade-ins for the D will be valued at 10% below market value" or some special deal to ease the pain of people who just bought cars and don't want to feel screwed over. Tesla wouldn't be losing money on the trade-ins, and they'd still be making full profit on selling the new D's.

But that's just a dream, apparently.

I'll post my offer in the wiki but I couldnt agree more with this. If I work out the depreciation on my car from Tesla's offer I lose about $33,000 on a $138,000 price in 7 months (9,000 km). If I extrapolate this to 1 year it seems like about 41% depreciation in one year. When Tesla (EM) have been trying hard to remove peoples fears about depreciation this seems pretty counter productive - I think Elon suggested a depreciation of 43% over 3 years? The only advantage is that I only pay provincial tax on the difference if I sell to Tesla. I'm really excited about the P85D but this has cooled my excitement a bit. Hopefully this will be my last tradeup.

985 miles

Only reason I am considering this is because I have yet to register in VA and pay state sales tax. VA is a state where you pay the sales tax regardless of any trade-in applied so hypothetically I could "trade up" to an 85D with the exact same options for ~$7000 ($2870 depreciation + $4000 for AWD).

I would jump on this.

985 miles

This does look like one of the best offers I've seen here. Another owner with a P85+ of similar age and mileage seems to be losing $16,000 on the deal. I didn't do the percentages but your deal looks to be a much lower depreciation.

This is an insane deal. Jum on this one asap!

- - - Updated - - -

985 miles

This is is an amazing deal! I would take this deal in a heart beat!

985 miles

!!!! Really????? How did you get this quote? Do u give the vehicle back immediately? I took deliver on 9/20 and would like to trade up if the offer is right. Let me know thanks

985 miles

So essentially ur upgrading for free ??? Because u would still qualify for the $7500 credit. If I can get a similar offer . this is a no brainer....did u speak to a local tesla rep? Or was it like Tesla corporate? Where are u located? Very curious

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can comp...

So essentially ur upgrading for free ??? Because u would still qualify for the $7500 credit. If I can get a similar offer . this is a no brainer....did u speak to a local tesla rep? Or was it like Tesla corporate? Where are u located? Very curious

He won't get the first tax credit because he hasn't registered he car. That also begs the question of how you legally sell it. I'm not sure tesla will take the manufacture's certificate of origin.