Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have 9,160.51 kWh of supercharger charges (car has 27,657 miles on it) and haven't observed any throttling yet. Non supercharger charges: 699.96 kWh.
Ditto on the ratios. Also a S100D. Probably makes sense to monitor and see if this issue starts to show up on 100 kWh packs. So far though it would seem to not be the case as others have pointed out this issue only affecting 90 kWh packs. And that it shows up rather early in life, certainly well before 9 MWh.

This is entirely speculative, but since the throttling was exposed and the troy made it to EV related news outlets, there is a chance Tesla has changed the firmware to transition into the throttling gradually so people would not notice it. It might also that they changed it to what they are doing with the 85 packs where they allow the same peak rate, but start to taper down earlier and faster, reducing the overall rate. Frankly if I was in Tesla's position I would make it that way. Anything that changes slowly and gradually won't be noticed by the user. Anything sudden will stand out.

Reactions: N..8 and Galve2000
Well after today's V3 Supercharging demonstration... it's starting to look like a battery upgrade for a lot of S owners at some point in the future if this throttling keeps up. Little did we know there was so much room for improvement!
Still no throttling after 230k mostly supercharged miles. I don’t know how much the 18650s can handle beyond the 120 kW though.

None of these updates will matter for us 90Kwh aka 86kwh pack anyways. We are so throttled. The only thing might help is the battery warming in cold weather, but given during road trip, the battery is warm enough after 2-3 hours of driving.

All in all a wash for us 90kwh pack. Tesla needs to offer pack upgrades before we.can make us of these v3 superchargers.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Now that Elon has said that *all* existing S/X cars will get improved charging speeds up to 25% via firmware update, I think it's useful to ask:

How do these changes affect the cars that have been throttled and the throttling policy? Will those cars still be throttled? Will the throttling still kick in at around the same number of fast DC charges?
I would assume that the only improvement would be from battery preconditioning, and everything else would be the same. "Up to 25%" includes "1%", so set expectations accordingly.

I would assume that the only improvement would be from battery preconditioning, and everything else would be the same. "Up to 25%" includes "1%", so set expectations accordingly.
Yeah, remember when Tesla was going to release a 300 mile range S and a car that cost 60k? Those werent the same car....