Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek addressed this issue with Tesla throttling charging over 2 years ago... :cool:
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

The issue came back into focus this week after a Tesla owner returned from a road trip where he used several different Superchargers and couldn’t get a charge rate above 90 kW even though the top charge rate is officially 120 kW. He went to the Tesla Service Center and posted the technician’s conclusion to the Tesla Motors Club:

Supercharger General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found. Review vehicle logs and verify charging is topping out a lower rate than observed on earlier DC charging sessions. According to Tesla engineers, once vehicle has been DC fast charged over a specified amount, the battery management system restricts DC charging to prevent degradation of the battery pack. According to Tesla engineers, this vehicle has seen significant DC fast charging and is now has permanently restricted DC charging speeds. Important to note, supercharging will always still be available to the vehicle and the battery pack has not yet experienced significant degradation due to the amount of DC fast charging performed on the pack up until this point in time. Vehicle is operating as designed.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Electrek addressed this issue with Tesla throttling charging over 2 years ago... :cool:
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

The issue came back into focus this week after a Tesla owner returned from a road trip where he used several different Superchargers and couldn’t get a charge rate above 90 kW even though the top charge rate is officially 120 kW. He went to the Tesla Service Center and posted the technician’s conclusion to the Tesla Motors Club:

Supercharger General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found. Review vehicle logs and verify charging is topping out a lower rate than observed on earlier DC charging sessions. According to Tesla engineers, once vehicle has been DC fast charged over a specified amount, the battery management system restricts DC charging to prevent degradation of the battery pack. According to Tesla engineers, this vehicle has seen significant DC fast charging and is now has permanently restricted DC charging speeds. Important to note, supercharging will always still be available to the vehicle and the battery pack has not yet experienced significant degradation due to the amount of DC fast charging performed on the pack up until this point in time. Vehicle is operating as designed.

Yes, that article is about me and this thread. Congratulations for coming full circle.

Really? That's interesting, if so... but that then raises the question as to why only the 90 packs (and the associated 75 packs) are affected so drastically compared to the 85s and presumably the 100s?
Oh, I think something is different to be sure. But then again, I don't know enough about batteries to say what. In my mind, I picture Elon Musk in a chef costume, standing over a giant vat labeled "batteries" and he has this salt shaker, but instead of saying salt on the side, it says "silicon". He leans over and mutters, "hrm, just a little more silicon this time" as he sprinkles it into the mix.

First, this validates Tesla quality control in making a CHAdeMO adaptor which has been used daily to pass >6MW through to the car over that time. Very impressed. Makes me more confident to buy this adaptor.

To the OP, looking forward to the Tesla reply with slight interest. But honestly, our 2013 Tesla S85 only charges at 88kW maximum due to the limitation of the original "A" battery pack, and we haven't found the savings of a few minutes of charging per stop every two hours on road trips we could theoretically get with a newer pack to be of any big concern.

The adapter has nothing to do with charge control which is all done by the car and communicated to the the DC charger. The adapter is only to translate the communication not to do any regulation.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Loving my 14 S85 with 145k miles.
Still charges at a cool 118kW on a Supercharger as long as the pack is in the 20% or below state when I arrive.
I usually drive 1200 miles round trip about once a month lately up and down the East Coast, through the very mountainous Virginia, West Virginia and western Pennsylvania hills, supercharging three times each way.

Great thread and info, that’s why it’s survived so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
Loving my 14 S85 with 145k miles.
Still charges at a cool 118kW on a Supercharger as long as the pack is in the 20% or below state when I arrive.
I usually drive 1200 miles round trip about once a month lately up and down the East Coast, though the very mountainous Virginia, West Virginia and western Pennsylvania hills, supercharging three times each way.

Great thread and info, that’s why it’s survived so long.

What mileage do you get now with full charge vs when new? What do you typically do (70%, 80%, 90%, etc) for a "daily" charge? Do you ever do a 100% charge?

What mileage do you get now with full charge vs when new? What do you typically do (70%, 80%, 90%, etc) for a "daily" charge? Do you ever do a 100% charge?

Full charge to 100% yields 254 miles vs 265 miles when new.

I typically charge to 80% and set my charge timer to start resulting in reaching 80% just prior to departing. I enjoy the tinkering aspect of the car and plan to keep it long term. AP1 is great for me since we have to be alert will all autopilot versions.

When on road trips I Supercharge to arrive with 10% at the next planned Charger. I enjoy the change of pace long distance EV driving affords me right now.

I do a couple 5% to 100% charges every four months or so to balance the pack. It balance >=94%. Always do the 100% balance charge just before departing and preferably on a drive that will take it below 90%. Remember there’s reduced or zero regen above 90% charge state.

^^^ all technique gleaned from talks given by JB Straubel and other authorities on Tesla’s 85kW battery tech. I like to tinker too...so Elon saying just “charge it to 90% and forget it” is likely going to produce similar results.

My intention is testing the 500,000 mile life of my S85.

I typically charge to 80% and set my charge timer to start resulting in reaching 80% just prior to departing. I enjoy the tinkering aspect of the car and plan to keep it long term. AP1 is great for me since we have to be alert will all autopilot versions.

When on road trips I Supercharge to arrive with 10% at the next planned Charger. I enjoy the change of pace long distance EV driving affords me right now.

I do a couple 5% to 100% charges every four months or so to balance the pack. It balance >=94%. Always do the 100% balance charge just before departing and preferably on a drive that will take it below 90%. Remember there’s reduced or zero regen above 90% charge state.

^^^ all technique gleaned from talks given by JB Straubel and other authorities on Tesla’s 85kW battery tech. I like to tinker too...so Elon saying just “charge it to 90% and forget it” is likely going to produce similar results.

WOW, that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing

85 Pack is not affected, only 90 and 75 pack and only Models S!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Really? That's interesting, if so... but that then raises the question as to why only the 90 packs (and the associated 75 packs) are affected so drastically compared to the 85s and presumably the 100s?
Well, they clearly made some change 85-> 90 that gave 6% extra energy storage, for a lighter weight. This happened right when I ordered my 2015P85D January 2015; I had the option of a 85 or a 90 pack, and was warned "the 90s are experimental" so I chose to go with tried and true. At least that's the way I remember it.

As I recall, my P85D had revision 9 of the original model S chemistry (I think it went alphabetically); I figured ver 2.9 was likely to be more reliable than 3.0 Looks like that turned out to be correct. It was discussed on TMC that the change was more silicon in the anode, and there was a discussion how that technology had been under development for years and worked well, but the silicon would expand when maximally charged, and repeatedly expanding and contracting (in the lab) led to cracks of the anode. But I have no idea who mentioned the silicon, and whether they had any real information or were just guessing.