Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't remember if I posted my experience or not but: 2015 70D, 30,000 mi, max rate 107-108 KW. Essentially all of my miles are out-of-town and most are using SCs. I've probably supercharged more than 100 times, at least 50 unique locations during trips to MN, WI, LA, Tucson, 3x to BC, 10x to Seattle/Portland, etc. I'll keep an eye on it, but I bought the car for long distance travel and will do my best to put 200,000 mi on it.
This seems to only effect the newer 90kwh batteries (the ones with silicone anode). There have been questions if this will also affect the 75kwh or 100kwh batteries, but no one knows.

You have an older 70kwh (no silicone anode), by all reports thus far, you're unaffected.

This seems to only effect the newer 90kwh batteries (the ones with silicone anode). There have been questions if this will also affect the 75kwh or 100kwh batteries, but no one knows.

You have an older 70kwh (no silicone anode), by all reports thus far, you're unaffected.
Thanks. I was hoping so, but thought I'd input my experiences as well.

In that case, your max rate is too low :p

2015 70D, 41k miles, max rate a couple weeks ago at 115kw. I forgot how many times I've supercharged, I tried to tally it up, somewhere in this thread, but I'm not searching 75 pages.
Ya, now that I go back and look at some Plugshare posts, I've hit 114 & 115 KW a couple of times as well when arriving at 5-10% SOC. Mostly I see 105-110 KW initially because my most common SC route is Ellensburg, about 110 mi from my Seattle and Tri-Cities locations, and I normally arrive with 20-25% SOC.

Reactions: Max*
I am glad Tesla is doing this to protect the battery................... You see, Tesla never guaranteed that their SCs will give 120 kW output. ......snip....
This is such a crock (no not mkjayakumar - the whole, "tesla super expert told them" nonsense.
Go figure! none of the threads on this topic, that have ever posted - have ever coughed up anything in the way of linked authority from Tesla ... just other threads that ultimately meander around the same FUD. We were recently on a couple SC's that put out below 20kW's ... one as horrible as 18kW's ... we've only SC'd maybe at the most, 1/2 dozen dimes. What - are we all such fan boys that we can't imagine Tesla NOT wanting to get a bad rap over poorly maintained SC's that simply throttle down when connections get weak (or a myriad of other reasons) ?? Last time I tossed that notion out, certain fans here dropped the dime on us, saying my post was to 'snippy'. Jeeez.
how hard can it it be to understand . . . $$$ dries up FAST, if Tesla had to keep all the SC's running at full capacity - both the cost for hiring more electricians, as well as more (expensive) parts - especially while $$$ needs to go to hurriedly pushing out the M3's. If word gets out that at any given time, overcrowded SC stations (especially in states with LOTS of Teslas) may have as much as 25% low output due to lack of quick maintenance, perhaps 20% of the 400,000 M3 orders would drop. Then stocks would drop, & then there might be even less $$ for maintenance ... yet the locations would be flooded with 100's of K's of M3's - further exacerbating maintenance issues.
Yea, it's pretty obvious that it's WAY less painful to pull the wool over owners eyes & tell 'em, "Sorry, you've SC'd way too many times". Really? Has everyone else already forgotten howTesla was (once upon a time) toying with a water-cooled 150kW SC version? Do the math people, if Tesla knows it's ok to jack that level of power into the packs (& the heat that the extra 50% power generates ... a substantial consideration of capacity loss) it's just maintenance. Move over to another stall already .... see what happens. Presuming a substantial SC user is down below 30% charge, you move over and now you get full charge speed - that can only mean one thing. Someone's pulling someone's leg.

Yes - Mr McNeil states in the link;
"... To maintain safety and retain maximum range, we need to slow down the charge rate when [] the conditions of the cell change gradually with age and usage. This change due to age and usage may increase total Supercharge time by about 5 minutes
Thus, according to Mr McNeil, and by way of example - let's try plugging in his extra 5 minute extra amount into a .... 90kW MS.
(back of the napkin so feel free to amend)
If you charge 75kWh of the bottom end of a 90kWh pack (appx 240 mile range picked up, turning on speed/weather) the charge should take about 48 minutes - PRESUMING you're charge around 300mph.

BUT - charging for 53 minutes (5 minutes more) in stead of ~48 minutes necessarily means you're charging time has slowed about 9% ... or to about 270mph. Doesn't this beg the question, "How can you recharge 75kWh's into your 90kW Tesla in 53 minutes - if you're SC is only outputting 28kW's .... or 23kW .... or even 20kW's or less?

Those speeds are sometimes 1/5 of SC potential. But if you're depending on getting somewhere - you might be at the SC for hours recharging at 25kW's ... not just 5 extra minutes. That's why I'd completely dismissed what Mr McNeil claimed, and why it was so exasperating that anyone would buy into this as an acceptable response.

This is such a crock (no not mkjayakumar - the whole, "tesla super expert told them" nonsense.
Go figure! none of the threads on this topic, that have ever posted - have ever coughed up anything in the way of linked authority from Tesla ... just other threads that ultimately meander around the same FUD. We were recently on a couple SC's that put out below 20kW's ... one as horrible as 18kW's ... we've only SC'd maybe at the most, 1/2 dozen dimes. What - are we all such fan boys that we can't imagine Tesla NOT wanting to get a bad rap over poorly maintained SC's that simply throttle down when connections get weak (or a myriad of other reasons) ?? Last time I tossed that notion out, certain fans here dropped the dime on us, saying my post was to 'snippy'. Jeeez.
how hard can it it be to understand . . . $$$ dries up FAST, if Tesla had to keep all the SC's running at full capacity - both the cost for hiring more electricians, as well as more (expensive) parts - especially while $$$ needs to go to hurriedly pushing out the M3's. If word gets out that at any given time, overcrowded SC stations (especially in states with LOTS of Teslas) may have as much as 25% low output due to lack of quick maintenance, perhaps 20% of the 400,000 M3 orders would drop. Then stocks would drop, & then there might be even less $$ for maintenance ... yet the locations would be flooded with 100's of K's of M3's - further exacerbating maintenance issues.
Yea, it's pretty obvious that it's WAY less painful to pull the wool over owners eyes & tell 'em, "Sorry, you've SC'd way too many times". Really? Has everyone else already forgotten howTesla was (once upon a time) toying with a water-cooled 150kW SC version? Do the math people, if Tesla knows it's ok to jack that level of power into the packs (& the heat that the extra 50% power generates ... a substantial consideration of capacity loss) it's just maintenance. Move over to another stall already .... see what happens. Presuming a substantial SC user is down below 30% charge, you move over and now you get full charge speed - that can only mean one thing. Someone's pulling someone's leg.

Wow ... time for some due diligence before posting. You will be embarrassed by this post in the long run :cool:

Last time I tossed that notion out, certain fans here dropped the dime on us, saying my post was to 'snippy'. Jeeez.
That's because your post has nothing to do with this thread, start a new thread and go complain there.

There are two issues being discussed:
1. This thread talks about 90kwh batteries being software limited by reducing SpC speed due to excessive use of DC charging. The comment by JonMc is that it's only a 5% reduction.
2. You're talking about broken superchargers which are supercharging at 80% reduced capacity. Totally different problem. Yes, it's a problem. No, it's not related to this thread or the problems being discussed here. There's a ton of other threads about broken superchargers, please go there with your umn... theories.

Last edited:
Not sure if you guys notice, but it is now posted on the tesla website itself:
Supercharging

Read the part about Does Supercharging affect my battery?

Reproduced here:
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time.

From the link ;
Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X under the Supercharger program.
  • 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.
is anybody actually being charged these fees that keep getting referred to? I've talked to no one who even knows someone who has paid for staying too long or is not getting Unlimited supercharging w/ their new X or S.

just saying, if this part is spurious, then .....

Not sure if you guys notice, but it is now posted on the tesla website itself:
Supercharging

Read the part about Does Supercharging affect my battery?

Reproduced here:
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time.
I have a new Model X 90D loaner today and this paragraph is included in the on screen owners manual too.

that's not what I asked. Has anybody actually paid was the question. If they don't have a credit card then how would Tesla get paid. Plus - after Unlimited SC went away, wasn't there a thread in essence stating Unlimited supercharging was reinstituted ? Hard to keep up with all the double speak.
Re slower charge times of older packs - the linked post simply restates the prior understanding that charge times would only be affected to the tune ~5 minutes. Accounting for other variables (pack's charge, no one charging near you, not cold, etc) - it's impossible to reconcile people recharging over ½ an hour extra - with the few/5 minute figure Tesla is putting in writing.

Last edited: