Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to have gone quiet. What's the consensus, Tesla will throttle the 100 kWh battery charging if DC charged to often, but call it "Battery Management"? Permanently limited to about 90 kW charging max? Since 75 kWh batteries seem to only max out at about 90 kW max charging power anyway due to their voltage, does this mean they won't be artificially throttled for too much DC charging? Or does it mean they may be throttled down from their max to 70 kW or less? If they are trying to limit the maximum charging current, then you could argue that the 75 kWh battery should be managed to same way and have it's maximum charging current throttled after too many DC charges?

Anyway, interested to hear from any 75kWh battery owners who cannot even get 90 kW charging from any Superchargers anymore....

Last edited:
This seems to have gone quiet. What's the consensus, Tesla will throttle the 100 kW battery charging if DC charged to often, but call it "Battery Management"? Permanently limited to about 90 kW charging max? Since 75 kW batteries seem to only max out at about 90 kW max charging power anyway due to their voltage, does this mean they won't be artificially throttled for too much DC charging? Or does it mean they may be throttled down from their max to 70 kW or less? If they are trying to limit the maximum charging current, then you could argue that the 75 kW battery should be managed to same way and have it's maximum charging current throttled after too many DC charges?

Anyway, interested to hear from any 75kW battery owners who cannot even get 90 kW charging from any Superchargers anymore....
The 90's are throttled to 95kW max.
The 100's are 16-18% bigger depending on which stat you check. Even if similarly throttled, it will still do 110kW. Has anyone even seen a 100 pack get more than 120kW?

This seems to have gone quiet. What's the consensus, Tesla will throttle the 100 kW battery charging if DC charged to often, but call it "Battery Management"? Permanently limited to about 90 kW charging max? Since 75 kW batteries seem to only max out at about 90 kW max charging power anyway due to their voltage, does this mean they won't be artificially throttled for too much DC charging? Or does it mean they may be throttled down from their max to 70 kW or less? If they are trying to limit the maximum charging current, then you could argue that the 75 kW battery should be managed to same way and have it's maximum charging current throttled after too many DC charges?

Anyway, interested to hear from any 75kW battery owners who cannot even get 90 kW charging from any Superchargers anymore....

Yes, in theory the 75 kWh should be affected in the same way as the 90 kWh. @wk057 has some interesting evidence that the newer 75 kWh packs use the same cells as found in the 100 kWh. I don't believe these cells suffer from the same restrictions on number of DCFC events.

Yes, in theory the 75 kWh should be affected in the same way as the 90 kWh. @wk057 has some interesting evidence that the newer 75 kWh packs use the same cells as found in the 100 kWh. I don't believe these cells suffer from the same restrictions on number of DCFC events.
If so, why don't the 100 cars charge 35% faster than 75's? 100's intensionally wasting owners' time at the superchargers?

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Up to is just an upper boundary, meaning at some point in time some vehicle might hit it, but it's no guarantee that any specific car will. If they said "At least 170 miles in 30" or some such that would be different, but they did not.

Yea, but if they made software changes to prevent it from EVER being possible again, then they're going back on their original statement. I used to be able to charge at the advertised rate when everything was ideal. 1) Starting below 10% SOC, 2) Battery temp below 110F, and 3) no technical issues with the supercharger or or the utilities it was attached to.

I'm not longer able to charge at that rate yet I can still pull 458KW at 90% SOC at 1535 amps which means my internal resistance hasn't increased at all yet which means there's no physical degradation that would have cause a need to decrease my taper curve.

Reactions: Naonak
We've pretty much beaten this one to death. Apparently we just aren't going to agree on the wording used by Tesla. The way I see it Tesla never guaranteed that your car, or any specific car, would always, or ever, hit the max rate. They had to word it that way because the cars with smaller battery packs could never hit the max rate even when new. Could their wording be misinterpreted? Obviously. Was it purposely misleading? Certainly.

Are you saying that the 75 kWh pack will NOT be throttled for too many fast charges? Aren't the 100 kWh packs the ones that are being throttled, and if the 75 kWh pack uses the same cells, wouldn't it make more sense for them to throttle them as well ?

The way I see it Tesla never guaranteed that your car, or any specific car, would always, or ever, hit the max rate. They had to word it that way because the cars with smaller battery packs could never hit the max rate even when new. Could their wording be misinterpreted? Obviously. Was it purposely misleading? Certainly.
Yea, the part I disagree with is is the "ever". I'd settle for not "always". Bet never means they advertised a cap that can *never* be reached so why not advertise a cap that that's infinite which can also "never" be reached?

Are you saying that the 75 kWh pack will NOT be throttled for too many fast charges? Aren't the 100 kWh packs the ones that are being throttled, and if the 75 kWh pack uses the same cells, wouldn't it make more sense for them to throttle them as well ?

At this point we have really only seen the 90kWh packs get the new charging curve with a reduced maximum charge rate of ~95kW.

Reactions: KrenGrl and David99
Because it would have seemed ridiculous and immediately questioned. A good comparison is the rating of your internet speeds, it's usually "up to" X speed but individuals may never achieve the max speed.

That's just flat out false. I only occasionally don't get my "up to internet speed" with Comcast but almost always exceed the speed I pay for even sometimes as much as 50% faster than my tier says I get.

Reactions: Naonak
Because it would have seemed ridiculous and immediately questioned. A good comparison is the rating of your internet speeds, it's usually "up to" X speed but individuals may never achieve the max speed.

Hey you said it yourself, Internet speeds are a good comparison...

Well, IDK about the US, but in Canada with Rogers, I almost always get more than I pay for, and on some occasions, its slightly less than what I'm paying for.

If thats how it was supposed to work with superchargers, I'm all game! But I don't think anyone has ever reported getting 80% in 30 mins.

In fact, just went to a charger with 2km battery left (i.e. 0%) on arrival at 9:08pm. At 9:46pm, I unplugged and it was at 245km, meaning 243km recharge in 38 mins.

Translated for you guys in the States, thats 150 miles in 38 mins. Or about 118 miles in 30 mins (far from 170 miles advertised!)