Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11/2017 100D, 28k miles, set a new charging record for herself, 125 kW. I've never tried to limit at a (DC) supercharger, but have only seen at AC sources.

Attachments

• Serentity Charging record rate.png
    Serentity Charging record rate.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 90
Makes me wonder why they decided to discontinue the 85's.. maybe they were more expensive to make?
The 85's were just tanks. They were a new company, so they overbuilt the hell out of them to be sure customers had the best experience. As time went on and they learned more and more about real world useage, real world charging data etc etc they started tweaking. The 90's were the first dramatic change in packs, and it wasn't perfect but didn't have catastrophic failures so.... Learned from those, and now we have a pretty rock solid 100 pack based on experience.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The 85's were just tanks. They were a new company, so they overbuilt the hell out of them to be sure customers had the best experience. As time went on and they learned more and more about real world useage, real world charging data etc etc they started tweaking. The 90's were the first dramatic change in packs, and it wasn't perfect but didn't have catastrophic failures so.... Learned from those, and now we have a pretty rock solid 100 pack based on experience.

yup, pretty happy with my S85

Makes me wonder why they decided to discontinue the 85's.. maybe they were more expensive to make?
Well, the change to the chemistry with adding extra silicon gave a little bit more energy storage capacity for the same number and size of cells. So they probably thought it was going to be an improvement and the next step forward. Perhaps they did not quite anticipate the downside that would show up.

Reactions: CSFTN
So how can I figure out if I can charge my 100 cells with chademo? It's closer and cheaper than supercharger for me
You don't need to figure out anything. You definitely can; just buy the adapter.

First, the 100 packs are not affected, and:
Second, all of this discussion has nothing to do with "can you" or "can't you". It is just that a couple of specific battery types could have their maximum charging speeds reduced some, but they would still work.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Well, the change to the chemistry with adding extra silicon gave a little bit more energy storage capacity for the same number and size of cells. So they probably thought it was going to be an improvement and the next step forward. Perhaps they did not quite anticipate the downside that would show up.
You know, everyone always says that, "it has extra silicon". But if you track back that quote, it all stems from a single half hearted, unsure, response from EM on an investor conference call. Literally a one liner if that. Yet we have zero evidence to backup that claim. So I've always wondered if the cells really are different in that way or if it's something else entirely.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Naonak
You know, everyone always says that, "it has extra silicon". But if you track back that quote, it all stems from a single half hearted, unsure, response from EM on an investor conference call. Literally a one liner if that. Yet we have zero evidence to backup that claim. So I've always wondered if the cells really are different in that way or if it's something else entirely.

Really? That's interesting, if so... but that then raises the question as to why only the 90 packs (and the associated 75 packs) are affected so drastically compared to the 85s and presumably the 100s?