Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, my car has supercharged about 70% of the time, but only from above 20 to max 65, so I can get home leaving 50% on the battery, allowing me to immediately get somewhere if an emergency pops up. So a lot of supercharging.

I also wondered if it would be possible to just change the gateway file to reverse the throttle, but since I have practically no degradation I don't want to damage the battery and maybe cause it. I also read somewhere that fastcharging isnt so bad for the battery in case you keep that within bounderies.

Remember that Tesloop had several cars that went from LA to Las Vegas, daily, for years and over 200000 miles. I think one car HV pack died at 240k, another at over 300k.

How come these guys did not complain about throttling? Could it be that the throttling is enabled due to a variety of factors, not just DC charge cycles?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The DC kWH counter was established long ago in this thread. If you remember Tesla asked Tesloopif they could replaced some batteries that weren't failing or overly degraded purely so they could take it apart to inspect long term effects of supercharger usage. Tesloop's batteries might be a contributing factor to why they created DC charge counting throttles.

How come these guys did not complain about throttling?
Tesloop left their cars parked all day and night at Supercharger stations and are a big part of the reason we have idle fees and "non commercial" language now.

I don't doubt the counter exists, I have seem Bjorns vids on the subject. I am just wondering if it is the only factor. Some are reporting speeds below 50 Kw.

With only 2600 KwH of SuC, I have not seen the severe reduction in charge speed. Just takes me about 20% longer than it did in 2018 from 30-80%, because I have a 85 pack.

Tesloop left their cars parked all day and night at Supercharger stations and are a big part of the reason we have idle fees and "non commercial" language now.

I thought the idle fees were because of the San Juan Capistrano locals who sat next to their car in a chaise lounge with a cigar all day. :D

I doubt it is the only factor. We know they are now independently able to detect lithium plating, stripping, and/or dendrite formations that are formed from high C charging and that knowledge also lead to throttling nearly every 85 pack so that is another thing they are looking for but only very recently. When this thread was created it was essentially just a kWh counter and they didn't even take into account 50kW versus 120kW charge speeds when they throttled. As they learn of any potential new dangers from supercharging they may will look for those too and throttle again, but I don't think anyone is expecting the original throttle counters to be rescinded. They have more throttles now than they did back then.

Reactions: aerodyne
According to this article, the first HV pack replacement on this Tesloop vehicle was at 317k miles. No mention in the service records of a earlier replacement.

This Tesla Model X Has Driven Over 400,000 Miles. Here Are All The Parts That Had To Be Replaced

Not saying they did not replace the pack early on another Tesloop car.

I find it amazing that a car run so hard, lasted so long without HV pack replacement.

We can agree that Tesla cares more about the bad press of another battery fire, than a bunch of early adopters complaining about slowed SuC speeds. They probably think we will just buy a new car to solve the problem. (Not Me!)

I actually will buy another one if they can fix the whole batterygate problem. Knowing they are intentionally unsafe cars makes me wait but I just can't go back to ICE (I understand the sentiment of those that have!) but I'm an electric Lifer waiting for this to be fixed so I can get another.

Good news, the Porsche is already cheaper - about what I paid for my Tesla. Bad news, it has less range. Tesla is still king so we have to buy a lesser product or wait for the good product to have a good company behind it again.

They probably think we will just buy a new car to solve the problem. (Not Me!)

Kind of true for me. My P90D was a lease, so I turned it in and got a P3D. I'll probably sell it before the warranty runs out so I don't get caught with the next long-term design flaw, like the MCU1 eMMC issue that would have also killed my P90D eventually.

I wonder what the big, long-term design flaw on the Model 3 will be?

I wonder what the big, long-term design flaw on the Model 3 will be?
You're already in the thread. 250kWh in a battery smaller than the original 85? I have a feeling throttling is coming. Even with exceptional cooling, they didn't understand lithium plating problems until last year. And I still don't think they truly understand it - there has been no recall or emergency safety notifications to people that haven't updated.

You're already in the thread. 250kWh in a battery smaller than the original 85? I have a feeling throttling is coming. Even with exceptional cooling, they didn't understand lithium plating problems until last year. And I still don't think they truly understand it - there has been no recall or emergency safety notifications to people that haven't updated.

Somehow, I am less than sanguine about the million mile battery...

Yeah, I really didn't understand how the 21700 cell size could enable charging at over 3C. It's an ~80 kwhr pack. Tesla has since updated the wiring in the S to allow 225 kW charging, but that's with a 100 kwhr pack. I guess we'll see if the 3 gets throttled as well, as more people put on the miles.

Reactions: Chaserr
Haven't followed this thread in some time... I know that the 90 packs were subject to throttling for excessive DC-Charging b/c the battery chemistry was a little different than the 85-packs (and the 100 packs?)

have there been reports of 85-packs being throttled due to excessive DC-charging?

or is it still a 90-pack problem mostly?

Haven't followed this thread in some time... I know that the 90 packs were subject to throttling for excessive DC-Charging b/c the battery chemistry was a little different than the 85-packs (and the 100 packs?)

have there been reports of 85-packs being throttled due to excessive DC-charging?

or is it still a 90-pack problem mostly?
I can't speak for Model 3s, but I've had a S90D and S100D both get throttled to 95kW and 108kW respectively. Any of the skeptics can go visit the Superchargers Visited thread and ask around in there. Basically everyone in the top 20 of that leaderboard has been throttled (with the exception of a couple Model 3 owners).

I can't speak for Model 3s, but I've had a S90D and S100D both get throttled to 95kW and 108kW respectively. Any of the skeptics can go visit the Superchargers Visited thread and ask around in there. Basically everyone in the top 20 of that leaderboard has been throttled (with the exception of a couple Model 3 owners).

Wow. Disappointing to see it happening to the latest 100 packs. I was hoping they had fixed the chemistry issues in the 100 pack. Especially since it is a larger pack and shouldn't have much trouble charging at higher rates.

I wonder if it is also a function of free supercharging vs paid... maybe not as much a problem of battery wear vs trying to reduce electricity costs? They pay a lot for peak usage charges, so slowing down your charging will help reduce their costs.

this is my experience exactly ~70k miles I was throttled Max 108kw on my XP100D it will hold this rate to ~ 50%soc though on a V3 SuC... in the big picture this does add some time to road trips but not significant enough for me to care about ..when I was hitting V3 speeds earlier this year at around 175kw it was so brief that to me was not really useful enough..