Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you get door dinged while sitting in the car...

Catch a door dinger. What do you do?

• Tell them to be more careful next time and let them go.

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • Ask for their insurance information.

Votes: 238 68.6%
  • Ask for cash compensation on the spot. But how much?

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Kick their ass

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had 5 dents since getting this car in June of 2018.

Something to remember is our car is a combination of Aluminum and steel.

For small dents, like we are talking about here, I go to a PDR (paintless dent repair) shop.

Our doors are Aluminum, $250 per dent. Quarter panels are steel, $100 per dent.

Get the insurance or the cash.

Vin

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I have had 5 dents since getting this car in June of 2018.

Something to remember is our car is a combination of Aluminum and steel.

For small dents, like we are talking about here, I go to a PDR (paintless dent repair) shop.

Our doors are Aluminum, $250 per dent. Quarter panels are steel, $100 per dent.

Get the insurance or the cash.

Vin
Depends on the the how big and where?
We are talking +$1k for multiple quotes on this:
IMG_1053.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
This happened to me the other day at the mall. I wasn't in my model 3, but I was driving my son's corolla. The lady opened her door and the wind blew the door out of her hand. She was very apologetic. It made two dings. A slight crease in the middle of the door and a ding at the bottom of the door where the panel comes to a point. Both looked pretty bad, and sounded even worse. But she was nice enough and offered to get it fixed. I said no thanks. I went home and buffed it out and it didn't look so bad. In hindsight, I should have gotten some money from her or her insurance info. Not sure how much pdr will cost to fix it. But it is pretty minor. Just depends on the angle of the sun.

Someone dinged my old car. I saw it happen. They were large and as they climbed in the bottom door edge of the suv came down on the fender of my car.

they totally denied it up and down. I just let it go, didn’t want to cause a scene.

Show me a 4-5 year old car without door dings, and I'll show you a car that never gets used. They're just a fact of life and getting bent out of shape about it just adds stress and angst. Maybe I'm jaded after 2 teenagers. They managed to do much worse damage all our cars.

Reactions: dmurphy
How bad is the ding? If it's really small or quite sharp, you'll probably need a professional. But if it's fairly large and round, it can easily be popped out with any cheap dent removal tool (just make sure the paint isn't too cold so it doesn't crack).

One time some lady opened her door and it dinged my door while I was sitting inside. I told her to be more careful. Then I noticed she walked out like she was going to go shopping but then decided to walk back to leave. That made me suspicious and I went out to look before she could leave. It put a good dent in my car. Got her insurance luckily. Always go check.