Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you get door dinged while sitting in the car...

Catch a door dinger. What do you do?

• Tell them to be more careful next time and let them go.

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • Ask for their insurance information.

Votes: 238 68.6%
  • Ask for cash compensation on the spot. But how much?

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Kick their ass

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe the answer that is in 2n'd place.

TMC is not what it used to be.

oh well....

Yeah but the more civilized answers are still over 80%....
  1. Tell them to be more careful next time and let them go.
    17 vote(s)
    10.3%

2. Ask for their insurance information.
    109 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. *
    Ask for cash compensation on the spot. But how much?
    8 vote(s)
    4.8%

This happened to me. I was sitting in my parked car when a Toyota parked next to me. A young girl in the back seat of the Toyota, who must have been in a hurry, opened her car door with a lot of force and I heard a loud thud as her door came into contact with my front fender. I immediately got out and saw that the girl's door had made a small but noticeable dent on my fender as well as a small tear in the PPF. I calmly told the dad that his daughter's door had dinged my fender and asked him if I can get his email address so I can send him an estimate. He was totally cool about it and gave me all his contact info. I said I would send him an estimate and then we can decide whether he wanted to pay out of pocket or go through his insurance. He agreed.

The estimate was for around $800, which included replacing the PPF. The dad decided to go through his insurance, which was fine with me. My PPF installer had their dent removal guy take out the dent and then they replaced the PPF. All pretty quick and painless.

Reactions: TyH2009 and CASE01
1st time this happened to me years ago I was too young to realize the potential consequences.
- over 10 years ago I had an BMW coupe. I was walking out of Ikea and noticed another SUV/ Van park next to my car. A fat little kid started sliding up and down the side of the car as if it was a slide. When I looked at the car under the garage lights there was long scratches up and down the side of the car. 50% buffed out but there was still alot remaining. I should’ve ran out of Ikea and confronted the parents at the time
- 2nd time I ran into a bakery to buy some food. I told my wife to stay in the car and keep a lookout. She didn’t do a good job because a frail little old lady slowly crashed her cart into the corner of the car. My wife felt bad for her and told her it was ok... by the time I came out she was gone and I was furious cause it did leave some light scratches on the bumper.
- 3rd time in my BMW M3 I found a prime corner spot in front of a restuarant. As my wife and I where injoying our meal someone decided to lean against the rear fender like it was a seat... I ran out of the restuarant and confronted him... luckily no damage.
- in another accident I had in a previous Chevy Spark EV... got rear ended on the freeway enough to scratch the bumper and pop it out... I exchanged insurance info and after a few quotes his insurance paid me. Then I proceded to pop the bumper back in place myself and brought it to a local wheel repair shop to blend the scratches in... I didnt care cause it was a lease... but it was good enough to not cause any issues on the lease return.
- the following week while driving to work in my BMW M3... a Prius lightly tapped the rear bumper... just left 2 divits from the Prius’s front plates... after getting insurance info... every body shop I went to wouldn’t touch the car because M3 was considered exotic... the one that did charged his insurnace several thousand.
In another rear end accident while driving my FJ Cruiser someone ran into the back end. Heavily damaged their car and just left a few scratches on my bumper. The body shop estimated $2k in damages... so I took the check and upgraded my plastic rear bumper to a big heavy steel ARB bumper...

Bottom line is I take pride in all my vehicles and try to keep them as pristine as possible... if others cause a small door ding and I catch them I’ll go after for payment. Good thing my Tesla has cameras.

I got some foam pool noodles from the Pool Supply store, along with some nylon rope, and a couple of those plastic tents you get at fast food places. (Thank you Whataburger).
String the pool noodles on the rope, and affix the ends to the plastic chain.
If you are forced to park between two cars, hang the chain at the widest part of your car by slipping the plastic tents into the wiodow seal.
Has worked for me. And I see three or four others in my parking garage, known as the Demolition Derby Garage.

The bigger issues is the attitude of people who feel its OK to damage other people stuff. If its an accident its an accident, but there are some people who just bash bash bash the door into the car next door, and just don't give a F#$% BUT in any case I feel the person should have the option to have the damage covered be it $50 on the spot and or a claim on the insurance. I fail to see how this is different then smashing into someone.
At my work people actually hit cars, damage from small dents to full on big gashes and real damage... and unless someone sees it they usually scurry away. Not sure if its a culture thing, industry thing, or just a human thing, but its horrible hearing stories.

Reactions: RKBA
For anyone suggesting going through insurance.. won't your deductible just eat up most of the cost anyway and you'll have to pay that.
Your deductible only comes into play when you are repairing damage under your control. When you are seeking reparation from another party it only matters if they are uninsured. My insurance company paid under uninsured motorists less my deductible and then went after the uninsured party to recover their money and also recover my deductible so I was made whole. Let the experts on your side fight the battle for you. They have more experience and have more tools to win the day.

Reactions: vickh and drdumont
Your deductible only comes into play when you are repairing damage under your control. When you are seeking reparation from another party it only matters if they are uninsured. My insurance company paid under uninsured motorists less my deductible and then went after the uninsured party to recover their money and also recover my deductible so I was made whole. Let the experts on your side fight the battle for you. They have more experience and have more tools to win the day.

One of the most cogent explanations I have heard in a while. And good advice - "let the experts on your sight fight for you".
A tip of the ol' DuMont chapeau to you!

Thanks. The details of how car insurance works has always confused me. What happens if they try to fight it and say they didn't do the damage? (Assuming you don't have sentry cam footage)

I take care of the things that I have earned and keep them in good working order. I also take great care not to damage another persons anything and offer to pay or fix it if an accident happens. Why is that too much to expect from others? Following the good ole Golden Rule and (un)common sense. If they don't care, are oblivious or spatially challenged, why am I the jerk for expecting them to correct their misdeed?