Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had $150k for a car, but the p100d didn't exist, what would you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's you had $150k, and you had to spend it on a car, and teslas didn't exist. What car would you be buying? New or used, doesn't matter.
I fully quoted the body since my answer to the subject is entirely different.

I'd get a Mercedes S550 with ALL features, including Magic Body Control (their smart suspension damping system that sees bumps before getting to them). I'd consider instead a similar featured used S63 or S65.

Mercedes interiors are far better, better sound (audio), and very way far better insulated (sound as well as cold) than Tesla. My V8 E500 MB was far far quieter than my noisy Tesla. Whenever I'm near a bus in my Tesla, it's thousands times louder than in the Mercedes. The Mercedes had less engine noise than my Tesla. And so far my Tesla has been relatively quiet in terms of engine noise.

(It's as if Elon and most Tesla owners never owned a Mercedes.)

Exactly. I had a '14 CLS550 and
absolutely loved it. I canceled the S Coupe I had on order in favor of the Tesla, thinking that skipping the gas station inconvenience would be worth the quality and service sacrifices. I was wrong. Can't wait for MB to release an all-electric S Class.

The very first 1 Tesla model s prototype (project white star) we're built on a brand new Mercedes CLS of the day...and prior to that, they had purchased a brand new CLS and hacked out the floor to put in the battery and drivetrain. :) yes, they definitely know a Mercedes inside and out.

I wouldn't buy a $150k Tesla either way. I've always felt the Model S didn't make competitive sense over $100k...Mine as I built it was $102k but after tax credits was under $90k. At $150k, you're giving up so much compared to the competition that you have to be a die-hard environmentalist to do it, and I'm not.

Reactions: oktane
I wouldn't buy a $150k Tesla either way. I've always felt the Model S didn't make competitive sense over $100k...Mine as I built it was $102k but after tax credits was under $90k. At $150k, you're giving up so much compared to the competition that you have to be a die-hard environmentalist to do it, and I'm not.

I agree the value for a $150k MS is not quite there as compared to the lower priced versions, but I made the decision to go for it and am not even close to a die hard environmentalist. There were practical reasons why I wanted to stick with an electric car (previous car was a Leaf). They are way more convenient for Atlanta traffic as you get to use the HOV lanes, and I love not having to stop and fill up with gas. I also loved the technology aspect as I am a little bit of a gadget aficionado, and the speed was a huge factor for me as well.