Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had $150k for a car, but the p100d didn't exist, what would you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of shocked at the number of people who are saying they'd choose not only gasoline powered cars, but cars that rank at the bottom in terms of fuel efficiency. I chose a Tesla P100D with Ludicrous Mode partially because of the performance, but largely because, out of concern for the environment, I wanted a car with zero emissions at the tailpipe. I sort of assumed the vast majority of Tesla owners would be similarly motivated.

As for what I would buy if I was going to spend $150,000 on a car and the Model S P100D didn't exist, I think I'd choose an S P90D or X P90D and use the remainder to pay for hotel rooms on a cross country road trip.

I'm kind of shocked at the number of people who are saying they'd choose not only gasoline powered cars, but cars that rank at the bottom in terms of fuel efficiency. I chose a Tesla P100D with Ludicrous Mode partially because of the performance, but largely because, out of concern for the environment, I wanted a car with zero emissions at the tailpipe. I sort of assumed the vast majority of Tesla owners would be similarly motivated.

As for what I would buy if I was going to spend $150,000 on a car and the Model S P100D didn't exist, I think I'd choose an S P90D or X P90D and use the remainder to pay for hotel rooms on a cross country road trip.

I think the fact that people are buying the P100D over high performance, low fuel economy ICE models is what makes Tesla so great. Yes, there are the fans that are environmentally conscious and buy the car for that reason, but there are a TON of folks who love the car purely for its automotive merits -- the instant torque, comfort, technology, autopilot, etc. Tesla has made envirnomentally-friendly products SEXY (maybe that's why Elon picked those letters for the Telsa models, lol). And now Tesla could do it again -- there are soon going to be many people who would have purchased expensive premium roofs that will now buy the Tesla solar tiles instead. Tesla makes people who may not be super environmentally conscious lust after products that increase sustainability and efficiency, not because of their environmental impact but simply because the products are friggin amazing. What could be better than that? :D

It depends on the reason you bought it. I bought a Tesla because is was fast, good looking, unusual and American. Based on that, a Dodge Viper makes perfect since...

Reactions: HebrHmr