Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had a do-over...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've got an X and a 3, but if we were in the market now, we'd probably get an S. I don't think anyone sees a major interior or exterior refresh coming soon and those are the only things that would give me pause. The internals are very, very new.

So, if purchase a Model S today will it be able to do the new charging capacity like the Model 3 or is it based on a certain production date? Thanks!

A brand new Model S produced today can charge up to 250 kW, same as the Model 3. That’s a very recent update, so I suspect most inventory cars max out to 200 or 225 kW. In practical terms the difference is not much due to charge tapering. None of them can maintain the maximum rate for very long.

The Model S is one of the best looking sedans ever built - changing the styling just to change it could easily go wrong and would be costly. I don't think that Tesla buyers are necessarily plugged in to having the newest body style to impress everyone as much as the buyers of the luxury/status manufacturers. The constant upgrading of the hardware without changing the body style is smart in my opinion.

I agree with you. I think the Model S is one of the best looking sedans built today. It is an eye catcher every time I see one, which is why I want one. Maybe upgrade the interior more to be more like a German car, although I still thinks it is very nice.

Reactions: outdoors
A brand new Model S produced today can charge up to 250 kW, same as the Model 3. That’s a very recent update, so I suspect most inventory cars max out to 200 or 225 kW. In practical terms the difference is not much due to charge tapering. None of them can maintain the maximum rate for very long.

The Model S I am looking at was produced on June 10th, so I guess that would not have the 250 kW charging. So, you are saying it won’t be that big of a difference over 200 or 225 kW. New to this stuff, but I did rent a Model 3 and it seemed to charge very fast. Just prefer the Model S.

New to this stuff, but I did rent a Model 3 and it seemed to charge very fast. Just prefer the Model S.

Did you find a new Version 3 Supercharger to really test that charge speed? They’re still pretty thin on the ground in most of the country. I was just wondering if there’s any within a reasonable distance in Texas that I could visit to try it out. Maybe PlugShare can tell me…

One of the biggest battery advantages of S/X is the larger 100 kWh battery over the smaller 74 kWh battery in the 3/Y.
Even though the vehicles are heavier, they carry a much greater charge and can exceed 400 miles of rated range in the S.
For most, this greater range is far more important than minor charging speed differences on longer trips. Side benefit is that it gives you the time for a more leisurely lunch before the idle charges start ")

I agree with you. I think the Model S is one of the best looking sedans built today. It is an eye catcher every time I see one, which is why I want one. Maybe upgrade the interior more to be more like a German car, although I still thinks it is very nice.

I am on my second MS and everytime I stare at it, I say to myself “what a gorgeous car”. It is by far their best looking vehicle (not counting the upcoming Roadster). I also prefer the interior compared to the M3/Y. I test drove the MX and both my wife and I hated it. Didn’t feel as sporty and we hated the windshield.

I am on my second MS and everytime I stare at it, I say to myself “what a gorgeous car”. It is by far their best looking vehicle (not counting the upcoming Roadster). I also prefer the interior compared to the M3/Y. I test drove the MX and both my wife and I hated it. Didn’t feel as sporty and we hated the windshield.
Im on the Island and in Brooklyn. How has your experience been with service. My '14 had great service experience in Syosset, Brooklyn people are very nice , just worried about potential problems.

Im on the Island and in Brooklyn. How has your experience been with service. My '14 had great service experience in Syosset, Brooklyn people are very nice , just worried about potential problems.

There is no question about it, Service is Tesla's achilles heel. I have mixed experiences with Syosset where things have taken too long to fix and they also damaged my past car by scratching it (they made up for it by reimbursing me). They have also been great once giving me a free center console after my older one's door mechanism broke. I haven't deal with Syosset in over a year since my new car has been solid.

My experience with Mobile service has been far more consistent. The convenience of having them come to you is amazing. Also, the guys who come are very friendly and helpful.

The biggest complaint about service is how long out they are to get appointments (2-3 weeks) and if your car has an issue that impacts it's ability to drive, it becomes a big issue. A lot of people complain that their cars have been sitting for days before even being worked on, which is poor planning on the SC's part.

They used to give out loaners, but I hear now, it's more Uber credits. I expect this to get a little better once the Lake Grove location opens which is expected to happen later this year.

At the end of the day, they are amazing cars that for the most part hold up well. However, if you have a problem, it could become a major inconvenience.

A lot has changed over the years with service. I won't likely buy a Tesla again unless there are significant changes in their tone in after-purchase attitudes towards customers. There's alot of shoulder shrugging and "oh well" talk these days, as to be expected from a car company in silicon valley. Product is cool, innovation never stops, no time for customer service or making sure what you sold keeps working.

The Model S is one of the best looking sedans ever built - changing the styling just to change it could easily go wrong and would be costly. I don't think that Tesla buyers are necessarily plugged in to having the newest body style to impress everyone as much as the buyers of the luxury/status manufacturers. The constant upgrading of the hardware without changing the body style is smart in my opinion.
I agree, the car looks great and is not in need of a redesign.
It does need a few improvements however, headlights being the most needed improvement.

agreed. I am in the market for a p100d, but at the same time, I'm not really driving anywhere with covid. there's literally no downside in waiting.
I’m in the similar position, I’d like a new performance model but I’m waiting for free supercharging. It’s the only way to make the bs that comes from tesla worth it.
Our family takes a road trip every other weekend, the free supercharging will come in handy.

I’m in the similar position, I’d like a new performance model but I’m waiting for free supercharging. It’s the only way to make the bs that comes from tesla worth it.
Our family takes a road trip every other weekend, the free supercharging will come in handy.

the tesla bs is one thing I am not looking forward to. with other mfgs, if they have BS, you can take the car to other dealers/indys. they also don't brick your car just bc they feel like it.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
The headlight performance is terrible, they need to improve the headlights.
I must not be following something?
I drove the Model S for 5-6 years and never saw an issue with the headlights? Lotsa of other things nut headlights?
Can you define "performance" in this sentence?
Color temperature? Alignment? I assume I had LED's? (My VIN was under 5000?)