Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had a do-over...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got out of bad situation with full refund from another manufacturer. After a year of constant horrible issues, I hired an atty and got the refund. Was a 2 time previous Model S owner. Test drove one in NY recently and remembered why we fell in love withe car. HOWEVER..... reading all the problems getting service has me gun shy to purchase another one. The car that I returned had a first class first rate experience with the service department, unfortunately the car was a disaster and could never stay working properly.

So what do you think?
Anyone with personal service experience in Bklyn or Syosset?

Thanks

Just got out of bad situation with full refund from another manufacturer. After a year of constant horrible issues, I hired an atty and got the refund. Was a 2 time previous Model S owner. Test drove one in NY recently and remembered why we fell in love withe car. HOWEVER..... reading all the problems getting service has me gun shy to purchase another one. The car that I returned had a first class first rate experience with the service department, unfortunately the car was a disaster and could never stay working properly.

So what do you think?

Thanks

Good idea to check others’ experiences at the same SCs you would use. I love the S and would buy another - lots of improvements over the years and timeless, from my perspective.

Good idea to check others’ experiences at the same SCs you would use. I love the S and would buy another - lots of improvements over the years and timeless, from my perspective.
I hear you. Trying to find some opinions on the 2 SC's I would use. Unfortunately and fortunately I know how good service was a few years ago. And after my recent disaster of a new high end vehicle want to try and avoid it at all costs.

Reactions: GreenT

So what do you think?

Thanks

You have to remember that if you just read stories on the Internet (including here on TMC), it's not a scientific survey of service problems, or anything else. There's a popular notion that people complain about things more than they praise them. I happen to believe that. You don't read about all the service visits or mobile service appointments where nothing notable happens, and things just get done. Nor do you hear about all the times that a car doesn't require service at all.

Anyway, Model S owner since 2015, and of the various service visits I've had, no disasters. I'd do another Tesla again, for sure (I might not do another S just because I've always considered it to be a larger car than I wanted). I'm not in a huge hurry to unload my current car, even though it's full of "old tech".

If you want opinions on service centers, I suggest post your question in one of the regional forums, that might be a better match for the people you want to poll.

Bruce.

OLD TECH? New Model S still has much of the original body panels, but underneath so much has changed that it is almost a new car.

New battery pack with +400 miles range, new motors, new adaptable suspension, new 10X faster computer with capability for FSD. Newer seats, fresh instrument trim and updated wood styles, fresh wheels, tires, included premium interior package plus upgraded stereo, included BioDefense HEPA filter etc. Tons of small technical changes under the skin. Tech is new, body panels are maintained.

You have to remember that if you just read stories on the Internet (including here on TMC), it's not a scientific survey of service problems, or anything else. There's a popular notion that people complain about things more than they praise them. I happen to believe that. You don't read about all the service visits or mobile service appointments where nothing notable happens, and things just get done. Nor do you hear about all the times that a car doesn't require service at all.

Anyway, Model S owner since 2015, and of the various service visits I've had, no disasters. I'd do another Tesla again, for sure (I might not do another S just because I've always considered it to be a larger car than I wanted). I'm not in a huge hurry to unload my current car, even though it's full of "old tech".

If you want opinions on service centers, I suggest post your question in one of the regional forums, that might be a better match for the people you want to poll.

Bruce.
I agree with you about the nature to complain about bad outcomes vs good outcomes. I for one believe we should recognize when we get good results. It has served me well with my last dealership. The vehicle was a disaster and the people servicing it, including the service manager I felt went out of their way to help and accommodate me, even if they couldn't get the car right.
When a service of any kind is performed, the expectation is for it to be right, who expects to get poor service? So when it is bad it is more frustrating to still have the problem and to waste more time to still have the problem.
I will check the regional forums.
Thanks for the reply.

Whoops to clarify, it’s old Tesla tech. The 3/Y have newer tech (battery, charging speed, engineering, heat pump, etc.)
you sure about ALL of that?

And while the Heat pump is CERTAINLY cool tech, not 100% sure if there is massive benefit in day to day driving between a tesla with heat pump and no heat pump. Maybe there is? I just dont know

you sure about ALL of that?

And while the Heat pump is CERTAINLY cool tech, not 100% sure if there is massive benefit in day to day driving between a tesla with heat pump and no heat pump. Maybe there is? I just dont know
There would be in a cool/cold climate. Much more energy efficiency (at least opportunity for improved heating efficiency). But I'd be happy to see it in action for a year or two before I'd want it on my car.

There would be in a cool/cold climate. Much more energy efficiency (at least opportunity for improved heating efficiency). But I'd be happy to see it in action for a year or two before I'd want it on my car.

Debatable. While a heat pump is definitely more efficient than a resistive heater, they lose efficiency exponentially as the outside air temp drops. Below 10F, a home heat pump will struggle to actually produce heat at all and will need to be supplemented by an auxiliary resistive element in most cases. While the heat pump in a Tesla may work differently, it's still science (heat has to come from somewhere) and the question will be how much more efficient will it be heating the cabin to 72F in extreme temps.

That little digression aside, if I had to do it again, I would absolutely buy another Tesla. I'd probably opt for a new Model X but only because I need the seven seats and the S no longer comes with the rear facing seats as an option.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and pilotSteve
Interesting about the heat pump. My pool has a decent one for the time I purchased it about 8 years ago. Supposedly gives heat down to about 40. Just because it can doesn't mean it does it very well. But in a car, I personally like and use heated seats and that helps. I'm in NY and hate driving with a jacket on, and very rarely wear one while driving. And definitely pre-heat in extreme cold.

Really leaning towards buying again. I wish the battery day announcement happened. Don't want to buy an "old' new Tesla. But its funny that I remember saying this the last time I upgraded my '14 and got the facelift version.

Whoops to clarify, it’s old Tesla tech. The 3/Y have newer tech (battery, charging speed, engineering, heat pump, etc.)

Battery: I'm pretty sure the S and X use the same battery chemistry as the 3 and Y. It’s been regularly updated and optimized over the years.

Charging speed: Since the last update, now matches the 3 & Y.

Heat pump: Even the 3 doesn’t have that; it’s Y only. It should provide some benefit in cold climate. (I’m in Texas, so it doesn’t mean much for me.) On the other hand, S gets you bio-weapon defense mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Debatable. While a heat pump is definitely more efficient than a resistive heater, they lose efficiency exponentially as the outside air temp drops. Below 10F, a home heat pump will struggle to actually produce heat at all and will need to be supplemented by an auxiliary resistive element in most cases. While the heat pump in a Tesla may work differently, it's still science (heat has to come from somewhere) and the question will be how much more efficient will it be heating the cabin to 72F in extreme temps.

That little digression aside, if I had to do it again, I would absolutely buy another Tesla. I'd probably opt for a new Model X but only because I need the seven seats and the S no longer comes with the rear facing seats as an option.

I’m looking forward to seeing data. Tesla’s heat pump can put the cabin, the pack, outside, and the motors on either side of the heat engine. So when it’s too cold outside, it can push on something else instead perhaps, though if you’re just starting out with a cold pack and motors too that may not help much.