Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you HAD to convince someone to not get a Tesla, what would you say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We kept our Highlander (2016, V6 limited) when we bought our Y. The Highlander is the soft riding appliance that will get our large dogs (2) and teenage kids (2) to the cabin in one vehicle. And it has the hitch for our bike rack. It’s the family truckster we expect it to be. I hate the infotainment, the hands free phone sucks, and the nav is rudimentary at best. But it’s solid, usable, and will take all of the duties we don’t want to subject the Y to.

Our BMW 340 GT got the axe when the Y came. Great, solid, luxurious car but at 65,000 miles it was starting to need spendy maintenance. I’ve had 6 BMWs of several generations, and they’ve been rock solid for me. The Y feels every bit as luxurious as a 3-series (which might not be saying much compared to a higher model Bimmer, but I feel the Y is aimed at the 3 level) and we haven’t traded any speed away. This is the first time in over 20 years that our driveway doesn’t have a BMW in it, and I haven’t looked back yet.

- No real blind spot monitoring
- Small mirrors, really hinders sight and is a safety issue.
- Range is not as advertised
- Interior feels/looks like a $20k car
- Very weak AC system
- Very loud wind/road noise, no active noise cancellation
- Car gets really hot in the sun
- Quality Issues

Much of this if not all can be addressed by getting a luxury ICE car for around the same price or cheaper.
Luxury ICE cars have those share of issues. And it’s not too many luxury cars less than 53k. The ones that are are stripped of most features and you just paying for a base car with a fancy badge.

Reactions: dfwatt
Customer communications are terrible
Customer service is terrible
Build quality is inconsistent and you don't get to pick your car off the lot, so buying is a pig in a poke.
Hard to find independent service and Tesla service is expensive and slow. They also make it hard to buy parts.
Interiors aren't typical premium level
Stiff suspension
Poor soundproofing compared to other vehicles
Regenerative braking is very strong and you can't configure it to be weaker, meaning the car will brake hard if you lift off the accelerator.
Cruise control is adaptive or nothing: no dumb cruise control fallback if the adaptive cruise isn't working or you simply prefer standard cruise.
Phantom braking when using driver assistance.
Has a long wheelbase so has a relatively large turning radius
Doesn't get the rated range on the highway
No CarPlay
No AndroidAuto
No SiriusXM
Navigation doesn't have waypoints
Single central screen, no display in front of you
No Federal tax credit on the price.
The CEO is a bullshitter with a fragile ego.

Did I miss anything?
Do you own a Tesla?

Although realistically I'm very far off from getting a Tesla, I'm trying to avoid letting the awesomeness of these cars make me ignore any downsides when thinking about them. So hypothetically, if you HAD to convince someone not to get one, what would you tell them?

Here are five reasons why you should not get a Tesla Model 3 Performance:

1) you hate instant-on, smooth, highly linear and drama-free acceleration. You prefer the downshifting, delay, noise, racket and wheel spin of ice vehicles, and their non linear power, peaky horsepower curves and need for lots and lots of gears. Plus you love what goes with all that noise and gear shifting, meaning transmission maintenance, differential maintenance, engine maintenance, and exhaust system and even header replacement. And you love maintaining the car almost as much as you love getting torched at the drag strip by Teslas, unless you're driving an exotic or something that's been chipped and tuned. Of course then there's all the extra maintenance and uncertainty about the long term survival of that engine. But once again you just love maintenance so that's all cool. Bring It On!

2) you hate the much lower cost of operation both in terms of the above maintenance but also just a daily fuel budget. You love spending money on fueling up your stinky ice vehicle.

3) you dislike the styling of the vehicle. Admittedly this is all subjective, so on this one you'll just have to decide whether you like its minimalist and classic lines or whether you want something stylistically louder like the new BMWs with their classic signature kidney bean grill that now looks like it's morphed into a kidney tumor. Seriously and kidding aside, if you don't like how the car looks don't buy it!

4) you don't have any way to charge the vehicle at your residence, or place of work, and superchargers are not readily or conveniently available, and you can't wait until those SC are built out or you find another charging solution at work or home. This actually is a real reason not to buy the vehicle.

5) you could give a rat's ass about sustainability, ecology, global warming, Etc, and you think that's all a weenie liberal hoax promulgated by the Chinese and hysterical authoritarians in Washington.

6) I almost forgot about this one, and it's a biggie. You love stranded assets. That means not just fossil fuel stock but your fossil fuel vehicle which is going to crater in value sometime over the next few years. The demand for ice Vehicles is already tanking and we're on an S curve here (that's how all disruptive technology is adopted) so that means the rate of adoption is going to increase for EVs and the rate of flight from internal combustion is also therfore going to increase and demand for any form of ice vehicle is simply going to collapse. So if you like having a big hunk of iron sitting in your driveway that you once thought was going to have long-term value and that you spent a boatload of money on, but that you now can't sell except for pennies on the dollar by all means don't buy a Tesla. Oh and as an additional PostScript, this all means that the company that built your fossil fuel vehicle may go out of business itself, which if it happens will of course further deteriorate the value of that big, stinky, expensive and wasteful hunk of iron in your driveway. All the Legacy automakers are struggling to get up to speed as the demand for electric vehicles explodes faster than anybody except maybe Tesla and a few other outliers would have predicted.

If any of those 6 criteria apply, by all means don't buy a Tesla. But if they don't by all means do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel28
Customer communications are terrible
Customer service is terrible
Build quality is inconsistent and you don't get to pick your car off the lot, so buying is a pig in a poke.
Hard to find independent service and Tesla service is expensive and slow. They also make it hard to buy parts.
Interiors aren't typical premium level
Stiff suspension
Poor soundproofing compared to other vehicles
Regenerative braking is very strong and you can't configure it to be weaker, meaning the car will brake hard if you lift off the accelerator.
Cruise control is adaptive or nothing: no dumb cruise control fallback if the adaptive cruise isn't working or you simply prefer standard cruise.
Phantom braking when using driver assistance.
Has a long wheelbase so has a relatively large turning radius
Doesn't get the rated range on the highway
No CarPlay
No AndroidAuto
No SiriusXM
Navigation doesn't have waypoints
Single central screen, no display in front of you
No Federal tax credit on the price.
The CEO is a bullshitter with a fragile ego.

Did I miss anything?
Plenty. You left out how Tesla has provided a cottage industry for trolling, significantly boosting troll visibility, and has made Short Selling, like trolling, a great pathway for the modestly talented. Of course people are losing a lot of money on the short sellers but that's another whole issue.

Luxury ICE cars have those share of issues. And it’s not too many luxury cars less than 53k. The ones that are are stripped of most features and you just paying for a base car with a fancy badge.
Uh no, an Acura MDX, Lexus RX all around $53k. My luxury car doesn't "share" these issues. Even if not a luxury brand, many ICE cars in general offer all those under the base price of a Y. There are short comings with the Y, face it. To those that don't think there are, are most likely on the kool aid bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, there are great things about the Y, but there are a lot there aren't. This thread is to talk about the ones that aren't.

Uh no, an Acura MDX, Lexus RX all around $53k. My luxury car doesn't "share" these issues. Even if not a luxury brand, many ICE cars in general offer all those under the base price of a Y. There are short comings with the Y, face it. To those that don't think there are, are most likely on the kool aid bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, there are great things about the Y, but there are a lot there aren't. This thread is to talk about the ones that aren't.
Actually, Acura does... I have owned quite a number of Acura... When I bought my TL, the car made a terribly loud BANG when you turned the wheel while at a stop... Service department initially told me to "not do that". I drove right back to the dealership... When I showed the service advisor, it scared the crap out of him becuase it was so loud... Turns out, that some of the bolts for the steering rack were MISSING, and there was only one bolt left holding it, and it was loose. If that last bolt fell out, I would have lost all steering control of the car... And this TL only had like 14 miles on it when I bought it. I went thru 2 TLs of different generations, and both ate transmissions. The first one blew up it's transmission before I even had 30k miles on the clock. Between the two TLs, I needed 4 transmissions. Honda got sued over this piece of crap 5AT transmission. It was caused by a design flaw that resulted in oil starvation which ultimately resulted in the transmission self destructing. The first time this happened, the service advisor told my wife this was HER fault for abusing the transmission.. When I took the car into the dealership, they told me it was a "known" issue, and it would be covered under warranty. I could go onto an entire thread of how the Acura dealership's service deparment are bunch of boneheads, but I digress... Suffice it to say, they kept telling me lies, and I called them on their BS becuase I actually have the factory service manuals, and I work with lawyers everyday, so I actually read the warranty document's legal jargon, and asked them to point out the lines that I knew they made up. With our MDX, Honda again got sued, this time becuase of a design flaw in the long block of the J37 V6 engine used in the MDX and the TL Type S. Before the lawsuit, Acura tried telling me that my engine consuming 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles was normal. After the class action, new engine long blocks for all... Except it's still the original design, so you'll still have the same problem later, but this time outside of warranty, so it'll be your dime... I ditched Acura for good with this, and is how I ended up with a Tesla.

I never got to own a Lexus, becuase the fine folks at Lexus of Portland refused to let me test drive a vehicle, becuase they told me to come back on the weekend with my parents, becuase they "are not in the business of letting high schoolers joyride in their vehicles"... So I went to BMW instead... My only gripe with BMW is the seemingly constant electrical gremlins... To me having electrical gremlins in a gasser is one thing, but it scared me from even looking at their electric vehicles, lol.

Last edited:
You're either full of rose tinted glasses or you're ignoring the fact that there are acura forums as well where we can see that they too have a ton of issues which should not be a surprise as all brands tend to have their share of problems.

Reactions: zpaul
You're either full of rose tinted glasses or you're ignoring the fact that there are acura forums as well where we can see that they too have a ton of issues which should not be a surprise as all brands tend to have their share of problems.
This exact issue comes up in every enthusiast car board I'm part of. Lots of posts like, "<Insert Brand Here> is not a true <insert adjective> brand, <insert competitor's brand> cars don't have these BS problems...."

People need to realize that people tend to be the most vocal about problems... That why you see lots of threads of people talking about problems... If everyone that didn't have problems posted about how they didn't have problems, there would be thousands and thousands of posts of people saying, "My car is totally fine".. Most people that don't have problems, don't go out of their way to post that they don't have any problems...

I have never owned a luxury car, but thinking to have a Lexus or Mercedes Benz next time. But.... I test drove the MY and decided my next car was going to be the MY..

Just curious, why you guys don't mention Mercedes Benz when you are talking about luxury cars???

If you have the money to buy a Tesla, you should not buy it. Instead, buy TSLA stock with that money.

BTW, don't mention whatever Toyota car to Tesla owners. We can't stand that small screen with tons of physical buttons around it.