Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you HAD to convince someone to not get a Tesla, what would you say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never owned a luxury car, but thinking to have a Lexus or Mercedes Benz next time. But.... I test drove the MY and decided my next car was going to be the MY..

Just curious, why you guys don't mention Mercedes Benz when you are talking about luxury cars???
Actually, I currently drive a 300GLC small SUV, and its a great car...I can understand why its MBs best seller. Its best characteristic is how it rides..just can't beat it....so when I took a MY for a test drive I was not ready for the quality of the MY's ride.....can't have it all.

Reactions: Teslitored
What's crazy is that my coworker said that nobody has used it before, so I was the first.. That means that cupholder literally broke on first use.
Everyone knows you don’t use cupholders in German cars. My Porsche’s are original and still functional, at least I think they are. I’m afraid to ever pop them out of the dashboard!

My E38 BMW 740 had so many new cup holders I thought they should add it to the service schedule of parts, like an oil filter every 5k miles. I miss that car but not the evenings and weekends working on it.

• Funny
Reactions: avs007
Range estimates are for driving speed limit with a light foot in best scenarios, if you buy a 300 mile range EV, that's most likely going to be 200 mile range with 90% charging, heavy foot with that awesome power, and most folks aren't operating their car in the best conditions.

Once cars get 400+ advertised range will be an easier transition for folks...

Superchargers are very busy during your weekends where everyone is out and about which means more waiting! how often do you travel long range though so it can be a moot point.

I would tell them that each and every bit of "awesomeness" was a BETA feature that is still in development. Auto windshield wipers? BETA! Auto high beam head lights? BETA! Auto Steering? BETA! Traffic Aware Cruise Control? BETA! This means that if everything works "OK" you will always be holding out hope that with the next software update they will fix at least some of the annoying things you are living with. If you have everything you like about the car working "good enough", you are one software update away from them screwing it up completely.

That last one is the situation I am in right now. When I purchased the car it worked pretty good with only a few phantom braking events each week (this amount of phantom braking would be borderline unacceptable in any other car)... after the first update I received it was still pretty good and they improved the speed limit on Auto Pilot to 80 mph max instead of 70 mph max. Then the disaster update 2021.4.21.3 Now TACC thinks half the oncoming cars on the road are trying for a head on collision, and brakes in an attempt to save my life... at night it goes from half the oncoming cars on the road to 99% of the oncoming cars on the road. This makes Auto Pilot virtually useless. I have been waiting over a month now in hopes of a new update that will fix this problem. For now, if I want the car to steer itself I set AP on, and dial the speed on TACC down to 20 mph and control the speed myself with the accelerator pedal... but I still get to hear the warning beeps when it thinks I am about to die in a head on collision every 5 min at night.

Later,

Keith
That sounds like about the worst scenario I've ever heard with autopilot Phantom braking. Have you had the service center check it out? And did you set the early Collision warning to moderate or low?

Uh no, an Acura MDX, Lexus RX all around $53k. My luxury car doesn't "share" these issues. Even if not a luxury brand, many ICE cars in general offer all those under the base price of a Y. There are short comings with the Y, face it. To those that don't think there are, are most likely on the kool aid bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, there are great things about the Y, but there are a lot there aren't. This thread is to talk about the ones that aren't.
It's so great that we have volunteer moderators like you that make sure that the thread goes in the direction that you want. If the op is asking about the ways in which Teslas might be undesirable vehicles, people are allowed to respond to those comments and either validate or critique them. Obviously you're only interested in validating them which raises questions about whether you're just (s)trolling over to the Tesla Forum for some fun action since you do not appear to actually own a Tesla. Classic trolling language is to suggest that anybody saying anything positive about Tesla or debating reported negatives is "drinking Kool-Aid" or is a "fanboy."

Reactions: mark95476
Do you own a Tesla?

Oh, I just realized I forgot an item:
Frameless windows, which have have the advantage of some people preferring the look, while having the practical disadvantage of being a point of failure, especially in winter..

No, I don't own one. But I've been following Tesla closely for over 9 years, which is why I was quickly able to come up with a long list of items that people have complained about.

I had an early reservation, and ordered a Model 3 SR+ when they opened up orders, but after a gut check, I held off completing the order.
Ultimately Tesla canceled my order and refunded my reservation money.

We later ended up buying a Kona EV.
It's far from perfect, but a much better fit for us, including the smaller size.

As an example of the better fit, I drive it in Eco mode with max regen, while my wife drives it in Sport with minimum regen.
Tesla made a decision to remove selection of regen mode, even though it kept acceleration mode selection and steering mode selection.

Frameless windows, which have have the advantage of some people preferring the look, while having the practical disadvantage of being a point of failure, especially in winter..

No, I don't own one. But I've been following Tesla closely for over 9 years, which is why I was quickly able to come up with a long list of items that people have complained about.

I had an early reservation, and ordered a Model 3 SR+ when they opened up orders, but after a gut check, I held off completing the order.

It's far from perfect, but a much better fit for us, including the smaller size.

As an example of the better fit, I drive it in Eco mode with max regen, while my wife drives it in Sport with minimum regen.
Tesla made a decision to remove selection of regen mode, even though it kept acceleration mode selection and steering mode selection.

It doesn't matter your observations over 9 or XYZ years. If you don't Tesla I don't think any of the above counts LOL.

Reactions: mark95476
10,000+ posts and never owned a Tesla? Sounds like a validation/rationalization issue since people tend to post gripes on most any forum about any product as opposed to satisfactions. The fact that there are a lot of fanboys on the Tesla forums says a lot. On this thread I had listed several factual negatives but followed that up with that I'm still happy with the purchase. Also, think about how you might feel if Tesla owners were on a Kona forum questioning your car purchase decision.

Reactions: Daekwan
It's so great that we have volunteer moderators like you that make sure that the thread goes in the direction that you want. If the op is asking about the ways in which Teslas might be undesirable vehicles, people are allowed to respond to those comments and either validate or critique them. Obviously you're only interested in validating them which raises questions about whether you're just (s)trolling over to the Tesla Forum for some fun action since you do not appear to actually own a Tesla. Classic trolling language is to suggest that anybody saying anything positive about Tesla or debating reported negatives is "drinking Kool-Aid" or is a "fanboy."

Wtf are you talking about. Going the way I want? I don't care which way it goes, it's not my thread. Op asked for a response and I gave one, what tf did you give?

"people are allowed to respond to those comments and either validate or critique them. Obviously you're only interested in validating them which raises questions about whether you're just (s) trolling over to the Tesla Forum for some fun action since you do not appear to actually own a Tesla"

Uh again wtf are you talking about, I own a Tesla Y and if you actually did any research before running your mouth (which you have been known on this forum and others have mentioned it...and no I'm no going to find the posts), you'll see I had issues with my Y causing ear pressure. I've probably done more to the car than your wet dream. Classic crybaby language is to suggest someone responding by saying the person don't own a Tesla. Go drink your Kool aid and sit down. Stop acting like Tesla is the greatest car to exist and open your eyes.

Interior rattles and creeks! I have spent hours chasing them all down!

I have one last rattle in the passenger door, but it's minor. Most were under the rear seat and the rear seats pleather rubbing together. The rear armrest (when down) had a bad one that was a pita to find. I've used two full rolls of 2" felt tape thus far.

Trunk had bad creek when opening and closing that turned out to he the two antenna amplifiers bolted to the rear under the panel. I also had the seatbelt adjuster rattle.

If Tesla would not use plastic wire loom, and just know where to slap some felt tape, the vehicle would be so much quieter off the production line.

You are well informed and are entitled to share your opinion, but reading is not the same as owning one IMHO!

Reactions: Daekwan
9 years and thousands of posts on TMC.. Wow.. I'll hazard to guess that a vast majority of those posts were negative.

It's almost like thats their entire purpose; namely to spew FUD about Tesla. Unfortunately, I don't think this is uncommon. Many, many nicks on TMC aren't owners, have never even test driven a Tesla, and post all the time.

10,000+ posts and never owned a Tesla? Sounds like a validation/rationalization issue since people tend to post gripes on most any forum about any product as opposed to satisfactions. The fact that there are a lot of fanboys on the Tesla forums says a lot. On this thread I had listed several factual negatives but followed that up with that I'm still happy with the purchase. Also, think about how you might feel if Tesla owners were on a Kona forum questioning your car purchase decision.

Reactions: Steel28 and dfwatt
That sounds like about the worst scenario I've ever heard with autopilot Phantom braking. Have you had the service center check it out? And did you set the early Collision warning to moderate or low?
Low.

The system worked fine until the software update, Service Centers refuse to do anything about software update complaints, so no, I have not taken it to a service center.

Keith