TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

If you had to go back to ICE, what would you choose?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by hydro 481, Oct 29, 2019.

1. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

To my fellow EV converts, if you had to sell your Tesla and buy an ICE vehicle, what would you choose? It's hard for me to imagine going back to ICE, but if I had to, these cars would be at the top of my list:

C8 Corvette
    Audi RS5
    Lexus LC500

Note: It should be realistic and attainable i.e. not a McLaren

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Is it free? If so probably a C8 or some kinda small/mid sized Audi RS (especially if it's got a free extended warranty)

Because otherwise it'd be my 2008 Lexus IS350, since it was reasonably peppy with good handling, and dead reliable with 0 issues in 11 years of ownership- plus fully paid for.

I know there's newer generations of the IS, but sadly they kept making it worse.

(the fact they, and everyone else, kept not making anything 30-60 grand nicer than my paid for Lexus was why I never replaced it until something that was that much nicer came along- the Tesla model 3.)

3. CMoZ

CMoZ Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  4. RayK

RayK Active Member

Around here there are plenty (?) of McLarens. My cousin who retired from NASA has one; not sure of the model but it's fairly recent. I might have had one where it not for the wife's stern look when I told her how much my 3 would cost. Nevermind that her Honda Ridgeline AWD was more (after tax breaks and what not).

Oh, and to answer your question... Probably would be back in a Bimmer. X2 or X3.

5. AdamVIP

AdamVIP Member

I'm assuming you mean new cars. I would buy something with a manual

Golf R
    Jeep Gladiator
    BMW M4 Convertible

6. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

M2 manual with an aftermarket exhaust (really miss the sound and shifting gears)

7. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Def. NOT a Corvette - LC500 is cool. What if McLaren level vehicles are attainable? I do own ICE vehicles in addition to Tesla cars but if I didn't have ICE cars then it would be another Porsche, Mercedes or Lexus product.

8. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

Cheapest, most efficient thing I could get. I had a used Ford Focus before my 3 that was fine. So maybe that.

9. AcesUp

AcesUp Member

Prob a used 911 or BMW M3

10. SleeperService

This is tough for me, because I've got a long highway commute, and the miles and maintenance on the cars I would want would not make sense for me. I'd probably have another Civic Si as my commuter car, if I'm being honest. If I had a shorter commute and didn't live in the salt belt probably a Shelby GT350 if I didn't want to have four doors, or an BMW M3 if I wanted to keep the four doors. As it is, the P3D couldn't be more suited to my lifestyle and transportation needs.

• Like x 1
  11. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

If I can't have a Tesla or other modern EV, I think I might go the Hoovie route and collect a bunch of relatively inexpensive quirky used cars - nothing else on the new market really speaks to me or seems worth the investment.

• Like x 2
  12. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

If I could find a restored DS-21

13. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

man this thing is a love hate vehicle. I thin it's an abomination but clearly some people love it.

14. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I'm not going for practical with these choices.
    1. 2016 BMW i8 ~$52,500 on a sticker price of $160,000.
    2. 2007/2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP ~ $9,000 and not dropping. Who doesn't love a car designed by Franz.
    3. Jeep Wrangler

15. ElectricEel

ElectricEel Member

Hellcat, cuz I mean why not. It's an absolute monster of a machine. And will offer the same sense of joy in takeoff as a Tesla.

16. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

I'd probably choose a regular Audi (I think the RS is too loud/sporty). The Lexus is nice too but way too expensive if we consider comparing to used S or new 3.

I hate all corvettes with a passion.

• Disagree x 1
  17. 75Shappyt

75Shappyt Member

I rather take a bullet

• Like x 2
  18. TW14 9LF

TW14 9LF 2nd EV

Mustang GT350
    C7 Corvette Grand Sport or Z06
    Audi RS3 (low probability, because no manual)
    BMW M2 manual

Mustang and Corvette would be used, let somebody else take the depreciation hit (particularly the Corvette)

19. Rutgere

Rutgere Member

Maserati quattroporte. Just look at Les Intouchables, openings scene. Something sensible, don't care... Sensible cars are not funny anymore after driving a 3.

20. Chisale

Chisale Member

A PHEV, which still counts as an ICE car to me. Probably the Honda Clarity. I love my Honda Accord HEV which I still own and drive once or twice a month (it's to be my daughter's car when she comes of driving age...soon). It's 5 years old and still gets 50 mph. Basically anything that keeps as much CO2 out of the air as possible.