Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you have a Y, can you answer a measurement question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure how many people here actually HAVE already took delivery of their Model Y, but if anyone HAS and can answer this very specific question, I'd appreciate it:

What is the "seat height" from the ground? In other words, if you open the door to the Model Y and measure straight up from the ground to the TOP of the seat cushion (where your bum would be), what is that measurement?

I hear people quoting ground clearance measurements in various places, but haven't seen the above measurement listed anywhere (if you have - feel free to point me there). This seat height will essentially be the combination of ground clearance + the thickness of the undercarriage/battery compartment of the Y + the 'seat riser' bracket the seat sits on and, finally, the thickness of the seat itself.

I think this is an important measurement for people to figure out how "high" they will be sitting overall for what many people consider one of the prime advantages of a crossover or mid-size SUV: a commanding view of the road.

I'd like to compare this total seat height for the Model Y with some other crossovers/SUVs that either my family or neighbors have to understand how they compare.

Thanks!

I am not sure how many people here actually HAVE already took delivery of their Model Y, but if anyone HAS and can answer this very specific question, I'd appreciate it:

What is the "seat height" from the ground? In other words, if you open the door to the Model Y and measure straight up from the ground to the TOP of the seat cushion (where your bum would be), what is that measurement?

I hear people quoting ground clearance measurements in various places, but haven't seen the above measurement listed anywhere (if you have - feel free to point me there). This seat height will essentially be the combination of ground clearance + the thickness of the undercarriage/battery compartment of the Y + the 'seat riser' bracket the seat sits on and, finally, the thickness of the seat itself.

I think this is an important measurement for people to figure out how "high" they will be sitting overall for what many people consider one of the prime advantages of a crossover or mid-size SUV: a commanding view of the road.

I'd like to compare this total seat height for the Model Y with some other crossovers/SUVs that either my family or neighbors have to understand how they compare.

Thanks!
i believe ryan shaw on youtube measured it with measuring tape

Tape measure is 3 1/2'. So we'll call it 24 1/2' with the seat "bottomed out". With sag from sitting on it, go with 24' AGL. :rolleyes:

IMG_20200328_155441~2.jpg
IMG_20200328_155553.jpg

The photo angle throws it off a bit, but I measured twice and shot once.

Lots of reports is that the seat is a great height to just easily slide your bum into seat. Of course people of different heights will have different heights of views. Believe you can raise or lower your individual seat as well, so exact measurements will be different with different cars as well.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I'm glad you made this thread and answered this question for me. I'm a wheelchair user, so transferring my torso and wheelchair into a really low or high seat is a big concern for me. After I transfer myself into the driver's seat, I disassemble my chair and place the pieces in the passenger's seat, so you can probably imagine how important seat height is to me. A really high seat makes things difficult, which is what I was concerned about with the Y.

Sounds like it's a good height for me. Now I know I won't be wasting my time by driving 60 minutes to the nearest Tesla dealer just to look at a Y.

Reactions: empiredown