Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you have an existing Tesla and HPWC and can't charge your new Model 3 with it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our new Model 3 AWD this morning! (Well, my wife's). Everything looked perfect.

When we got home I couldn't plug the HPWC (second gen) connector handle into the Model 3 far enough to start a charge. It has always worked fine for my Model X, over a year and a half. I also couldn't charge a loaner Model S in March. And we don't have the second HPWC wired in yet.

Long story short, a plastic tip from one of my Model X charge port large sockets had broken off and lodged itself at the bottom of the corresponding HPWC handle hole. Still worked fine for the X, since it had a tip-less socket plugging into the charge handle with the tip stuck in it. But with an intact charge port on the Model 3 there was a normal tip on the 3 and an extra tip stuck in the charge handle. That prevented the handle from being inserted all the way into the Model 3's charge port.

I turned off HPWC power at the breaker. I couldn't pry out the broken tip. Using a very thin drill I was able to free up the tip and shake it out of the handle. The drill didn't really make a hole in the plastic tip, but certainly loosened it. Of course, be careful not to drill the center pin or the outer shield. Sorry I don't have a better solution, but that's how I fixed it.

Comparing the Model 3's charge port to my Model X charge port, the two top pins on the 3 have black plastic tips. The two top pins on my X have a flat metallic end to them. So I've had a second plastic tip break off, but it didn't get stuck in (my) charge handle. Could happen with Superchargers or UMC's too.

TL;DR - If your charge handle won't insert far enough, look into the connector holes. If one or both of the big pin holes has a black base, there's probably a piece of plastic down there that is interfering with full insertion.