Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if you have extra cash to mod Tesla model 3 SR+, what mod would you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best bang for the buck? Rear sway bar.. yours ( and mine) do not have it ( didnt have it). Find one used with the end links. Dont buy into the hype for a aftermarket bar unless you plan to take up autocross then you have the wrong car anyways. Next bang is dependent on which interior you have. I had the partial premium. So nix foglight and nix on ambient lighting and rear seat heating. I got the Bonus module and some fog lights off ebay so I now have creature comforts and lights that switch on with the headlights without wiring mods. I also swapped out all the interiors LEDs because they suck. Next mod could be #2 if going by price.. but it was #3 for me.. RPM Tesla's wind noise kit for the doors/frunk/trunk. I splurged and got the Funk mat and the trunk finishing noise reduction panel. I also added some stick'm "Carbon Fiber" for the center console/wheel. All in is under 800 and of that, 400 was the bonus module. I'd like the LR but I dont want to pay the extra money. The standard+ has worked out very well for me and with the one motor, pretty cheap to insure since it's not a "performance" car :) I do have the cheap audio cable to enable the rest of my speakers but I have yet to put it in. What I really, really want is the S.. :) I found that my OEM continentals work pretty good ( 19 inch) all things considered. And yes, Matt screen protector.. the gloss drove me crazy with reflections and glare. I got one the is removable and washable.

Reactions: coolmanfever
thanks for all the suggestions. I calculated that I will need to spend extra 16,397 USD to upgrade to a LR AWD but I think that is a money that I could have save it for cybertruck or TSLA stock :).

Those two are not comparable purchase items.
Cybertruck is not for sale now, or at any finite point in the future.
Investment and transportation budgets are not directly related. If you have money to invest, do it (hint - investing into an undiversified portfolio may not be the smartest thing to do).

But don't fall into the fallacy of "my car is bad because I should have invested its price tag instead". You HAVE to have transportation solution to live and work, and if riding a bicycle or public transport was viable for you, you would not be on this forum ;-). So, accepting the fact that you need a car, buy the most "fun" you can get with your transportation budget!

I have older model year 2019 SR+ so I like the idea investing in auto trunk and 3rd party power upgrade after warranty runs out.

Just to be clear - you will NOT be "investing" into 3rd party upgrades. You will be spending money to make your car more "fun" for you, with full expectation that you will NOT recoup much (if any) of the $$ spent.

With that in mind, do what makes you happiest.
Personally, I would "upgrade" the nut behind the wheel first and foremost, and sign-up for local autoX or Driving Education schools!

a

Just to be clear - you will NOT be "investing" into 3rd party upgrades. You will be spending money to make your car more "fun" for you, with full expectation that you will NOT recoup much (if any) of the $$ spent
Absolutely.. this is a lesson any gearhead of the past knows well.. you may have spent 20K on that blown super duper engine with 8 speed trans and billet proof rear end in your 5K painted resto mod.. but you will not get anything near that back when you sell it except very, very rare occasions ( think Fast and Loud Auctioned cars).. Anything you do on a Tesla is for you and your enjoyment. And given how cheap the Tesla is to go fast, you have all kinds of cash now to play with tires, suspension mods, wraps and the rest :) Unless you bought a Plaid and mortgaged your soul, first born and house to get it :D

Best bang for the buck? Rear sway bar.. yours ( and mine) do not have it ( didnt have it). Find one used with the end links. Dont buy into the hype for a aftermarket bar unless you plan to take up autocross then you have the wrong car anyways. Next bang is dependent on which interior you have. I had the partial premium. So nix foglight and nix on ambient lighting and rear seat heating. I got the Bonus module and some fog lights off ebay so I now have creature comforts and lights that switch on with the headlights without wiring mods. I also swapped out all the interiors LEDs because they suck. Next mod could be #2 if going by price.. but it was #3 for me.. RPM Tesla's wind noise kit for the doors/frunk/trunk. I splurged and got the Funk mat and the trunk finishing noise reduction panel. I also added some stick'm "Carbon Fiber" for the center console/wheel. All in is under 800 and of that, 400 was the bonus module. I'd like the LR but I dont want to pay the extra money. The standard+ has worked out very well for me and with the one motor, pretty cheap to insure since it's not a "performance" car :) I do have the cheap audio cable to enable the rest of my speakers but I have yet to put it in. What I really, really want is the S.. :) I found that my OEM continentals work pretty good ( 19 inch) all things considered. And yes, Matt screen protector.. the gloss drove me crazy with reflections and glare. I got one the is removable and washable.
what does Rear sway bar improve to model 3?

what does Rear sway bar improve to model 3?
The question to ask is "what does a rear sway ( stabilizer bar) do for any car. .not just a model 3. in it's basic configuration, the bar is connected to both sides of the rear suspension and connected to the frame. The bar has a certain amount of torsional resistance ( about 600 lbs if I remember right for this application). Its neutral when the body and the wheels are level. As the car goes into a corner and tries to lean, the bar being fastened to the body and wheels, tries to resist that leaning. When the wheel goes over a bump in the road, the bar will resist the upwards movement and try to twist the wheel back down. You normally have two bars.. one in the front and one in the back for virtually every performance applications.. Does the Tesla M3 Standard plus "need" a rear sway bar? Not really if you are just cruising around. The car handles really well for what it is. However, when pushed, the M3 will want to lift a corner of the back of the car and that lifting unsettles the rest of the suspension and the person driving :) So the bar will help reduce that considerably. There are aftermarket bars that are higher in stiffness but then you get into how much of a rough ride in a daily driver can you put up with. There is a world of difference between daily driving and goofing off vs autocross for example.

Here is a fun little clip about how they work

Reactions: coolmanfever