TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

If you have grey leather how is it holding up?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by allanhof, May 4, 2015.

1. allanhof

allanhof Member

Have always had black interiors. To switch it up I went with grey next generation seats with piano black and black alcantara headliner. How does the grey wear over time?

2. mmccord

mmccord Member

I have the same config (grey ng /piano black/black alcantara). Picked it up Saturday. It's gorgeous.

Today I was getting in and noticed a huge black smear across my driver's seat. Apparently I got some grease on my pants or something.

It came out with some leather cleaning wipes, but has me concerned that they are so light.

Won't be able to answer the long term wear question for a while, sorry.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

FWIW, My beige interior has held up quite well for six months. No marks whatsoever. Not a lot of time, I know.

4. allanhof

allanhof Member

Thanks....would you do it again? The grey colour combo instead of the black

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply....I was worried about wearing dark jeans and having the colour transfer

5. mmccord

mmccord Member

I dislike black leather interiors, so the only other option I considered was tan.

I don't think I would choose differently. This will be more upkeep, but I think it's worth it.

6. TES-E

TES-E Member

Had my grey leather for 7 months now. 8k miles. So far... so good. I've had grey leather in other cars before with no problems long term.

7. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Grey leather for over 2 years and nearly 30k miles. Sometimes need to wipe the seat down from dye transfer from jeans, but essentially new looking.

8. Shortmanz

Shortmanz Member

Mine is blue with grey leather. It has 12.5K and was built in the summer of 2013 and still looks brand new. Granted I am usually the only one in the car, but the drivers seat is holding up very well. I originally wanted tan, but am very happy with the Blue/Grey combination and would get it again. I will add that my 2009 58K Toyota Tacoma has a grey cloth interior. The cloth seats look good, but and the rubberized door handles and center console arm rest look kind of grimy. I would NOT get this interior on a Tacoma again, but I think the grey Tesla leather will hold up very well and be easier to clean.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Two years 43k miles, no problems with grey.

10. allanhof

allanhof Member

Good to know...I have finalized on Grey/Piano/Black Alcantara

11. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Grey leather. 1 1/2 years and 18000 miles. Still looks great.

12. pmoa

pmoa Member

Saw some trade ins with grey leather at the Rockville md SC and a couple of them were in bad shape. It all depends on how you care for it I suppose.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've pretty much done nothing but vacuum and wipe away the occasional spill.

14. allanhof

allanhof Member

I have always taken really great care of my cars....people who have bought them are quite frankly lucky. I park at the back of the parking lot, I change the oil more often than needed (no longer of course), I usually have the kids in my wife's car so mine is pristine. I don't eat in it....the list goes on. Sounds like the grey will be a good change of pace

15. REBroker

REBroker Member

I love my grey! Looks awesome with black Alcatara. I've only had it a few months, any dirt wipes easily and back to looking brand new.

16. ahm

ahm Member

25 months and 46,000 miles. Looks great.

17. allanhof

allanhof Member

Great to hear....what do you use to wipe the seats?

18. REBroker

REBroker Member

I haven't bought anything special yet, I use an all purpose cleaner and microfiber cloth. Eventually I'll buy some simple wipes. The reason I use the cleaner is because it's simple, non-greasy or full of chemicals, so I'll buy some similar wipes. Leather surfaces should be allowed to breath.

19. allanhof

allanhof Member

Was in Mountain View last week and saw the precise colour combo I ordered. Looks fantastic . Happy with my choice . Thanks for the insight on grey leather option