Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you have WiFi setup problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Model S and found that it wouldn't connect to my home network. The Model S would recognize the broadcasted SSID's of my access points (Unifi AP-AC-LR & AP), but the Model S wouldn't actually connect to any of them. The Model S would attempt to connect (tried multiple SSID's) and then it would drop the WiFi connection reverting back to the 3G connection. After creating a new SSID with different password variants, different bands (2.4/5) and installing a repeater in the garage, I found that the fix was in the technology. The Model S requires that you broadcast using legacy protocols and bandwidths. I was able to configure these settings within the Ubiquiti Networks Unifi console for the Unifi AP (Guest AP) and it solved the problem. Attached is a screen shot of the actual configuration page that solved the problem. I hope this prevents hours of troubleshooting by other Tesla owners.
Unifi.jpg

I am not enough of a network guru to tell if your findings also answer the issue we had, which was our home network password was too long. We use a pass phrase, and it wouldn't work with the Tesla. So we set up an additional network with a lesser password just for the car.

I was able to configure these settings within the Ubiquiti Networks Unifi console for the Unifi AP (Guest AP) and it solved the problem. Attached is a screen shot of the actual configuration page that solved the problem. I hope this prevents hours of troubleshooting by other Tesla owners.

Thanks for posting this. I'm contemplating switching to Ubiquiti gear at home (several-generations-old Apple Airports now) and I might need this information.

Bruce.

PS. Welcome to TMC, great first post!

Our WiFi passcode is 24 characters using mixed case letters, numbers and symbols. No problem for our Ethernet connected ASUS router configured as a range extender broadcasting 2.4Ghz so our Tesla can connect.

Add me to the list of Tesla owners who were shocked to find my new 2015 Tesla needed to connect via "legacy" 2.4Ghz WiFi... when it was the newest WiFi device in our house.

Hopefully Tesla will upgrade their WiFi / Bluetooth / cellular "radio" to a 5.0Ghz ac Wifi / Bluetooth 5 / LTE Advanced in Teslas soon... and offer this as an upgrade for existing owners too like the 4G LTE upgrade for those of us with 3G cellular.

I had an issue where the Tesla would connect to wifi but the app wouldn't load while the car was connected to wifi, so I got an old airport time capsule that I no longer used, set it upped in bridge mode, connected it to the gateway and everything works fine now. So my Tesla has its own independent network and it works fine.

I had an issue where the Tesla would connect to wifi but the app wouldn't load while the car was connected to wifi, so I got an old airport time capsule that I no longer used, set it upped in bridge mode, connected it to the gateway and everything works fine now. So my Tesla has its own independent network and it works fine.

What model Tesla did you experience your issue with?

Sort of related but while I've never had a problem connecting the car to my home wifi, I did have what I *thought* was a problems staying connected.

I'd pull into the garage and the car would connect but checking later it would sometimes still be connected and sometimes not.

So I installed a program on my iMac that would monitor the connection and found the car was only on wifi part of the time.

Thinking this was a problem I tried 3 different routers. Same result.

Even went to the trouble of running ethernet into the garage so the router sat within a few cm of the car's wifi antenna. Same result.

But the car always seemed to get the updates ok so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Then yesterday I stopped by the service center and spoke with the manager and one of the techs.

Turns out what I was seeing is normal. If there is wifi available the car will hook to it but will not stay connected unless there is some reason (like maybe needing to download an update) at which time it will switch itself over to wifi.

So now what am I going to do with the two extra routers? :)

Reactions: hifienthusiast