TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

If you tow with wireless backup camera: does it interfere with your TPMS?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ecarfan, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have a question for anyone who tows a trailer with a wireless backup camera on the trailer and camera display monitor in the car: have you had any problems with the X TPMS not working properly, i.e. no tire pressure readings shown in the drivers display and/or the tire pressure warning icon displayed even though your tire pressures are within normal limits? Thanks.

2. ecarfan

Doing some research...

Some people believe the current Tesla TPMS transmission frequency is 433Mhz. See tesla tpms frequency - Google Search

I am using the TadiBrothers digital wireless backup camera system. I searched the web but cannot find a reference to the transmission frequency it uses and they are closed today so I can’t call them. But it seems like digital wireless backup cameras typically use the 2.4Ghz band.

So could the backup camera transmission interfere with the Tesla TMPS transmission? That seems unlikely. But I’m not an electrical engineer.. Will be talking to Tesla Service again tomorrow.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

What happens if you disconnect the wireless camera's power? Does TPMS start working again?

4. ecarfan

At end of day yesterday someone at the Burlingame location who is not a service person called me saying the service person wanted permission to unplug the receiver/camera display in the car (it’s plugged into the 12V outlet in the center console). I said of course they were welcome to unplug it but to keep in mind that the camera transmitter was on my trailer, which is at my house. So when my car is at the service center no wireless signal is being received in the car. They thanked me and said they would get back to me on Thursday.

The person I spoke to made some vaguely unclear statements about how the TPMS system could not simply be “reset” after it was disrupted by external interference, some hardware had to be replaced. I pressed him on this because it didn’t make sense to me: how could the wireless camera signal actually damage a piece of the TPMS system such that it would need replacement. The person could not explain it to me, and he was not a service person.

Tomorrow morning I will talk to the service person and try to better understand the situation. At this point they are not saying that my wireless camera is responsible for the failure of the TPMS system, only that they are trying to rule it out.

I can say that over the past week when I have been experiencing the TPMS problem I described in my post, there have been times where my wireless camera has been powered off but the TPMS problem persists; every time I drive my X for the past week the TPMS alert icon is displayed and no tire pressures are shown in the drivers display. My X is parked within 15 ft of the wireless camera mounted on the back of my trailer.

5. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

433 MHz would be used in Europe. In North America it would be 315 MHz. (433 MHz is smack in the middle of a very popular Ham Radio band in North America, bad things would happen frequently)

• Informative x 1
  6. ecarfan

Thanks for the correction! I just read Direct TPMS - Wikipedia

Quote from that page: “Most direct TPMS systems use ultra high frequency (UHF) radio in one of the 'unlicensed' ISM bands (industrial, scientific and medical) for transmitting the data,[7] often around 434 MHz in Europe and 315 MHz in much of the rest of the world.”

In any case, I’m baffled as to how a wireless camera system operating at 2.4GHz could interference with a TPMS system operating at a much lower frequency.

Of course the cause of my TPMS issue has yet to be determined.

7. ecarfan

Tesla Service found the cause of the TPMS failure. Fuse 219 which is on the TPMC circuit was blown. Reason: at some point during my efforts to wire up my backup camera display and in-car receiver I must have contacted the positive/negative leads and blown the fuse. Made sure wiring was good, replaced fuse 219 and TPMS now working properly. Did not replace anything else.

And I am now using the 12V outlet and my backup camera display is working.

So nothing to do with my wireless backup camera signal interfering with the TPMS system.

• Informative x 3
  8. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Ecarfan,

I am glad you worked that out....
    In response to your frequency question Tesla (in my research) has ALWAYS used 433 Mhz.
    The trick to the TPMS is that there is more to TPMS than frequency.
    The coding and signalling can be very different even though the frequencies are still 433 Mhz.
    Roadster Serial 1 to 500 433 Mhz Beru Sensor
    Roadster Serial 501 and up 433 Mhz Baolong Sensor
    Model S 2012 to 2014 433 Mhz Baolong Sensor
    Model S 2015 and up 433 Mhz Continental Sensor
    Model X Always (?) 433 Mhz Continental Sensor

I don't know what they use to program early Roadsters with the Beru sensors.
    The same Tesla Smartool will program Roadsters 501 to the end and Model S from 2012 to 2014 with Baolong Sensors.
    There may be some 2014 Model S with Continental retrofit.

I am not sure how they program the Continental sensors.
    The current cars have some degree of self learning and can store up to 8 tires per car for painless
    snow tire exchange.

Shawn