Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you use the new "scheduled departure" feature and leave your car plugged in, be careful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using the new scheduled departure feature, and took my car to the airport car park for my Thanksgiving trip. I got lucky and scored a charging spot. I left my car's charging percentage on the usual 80%, since I do not have a long drive home from the airport, and I was going to be gone for 4 days.

When I initially arrived at the lot I could not plug in, because there were 2 chargers available for 4 spots, and all were in use. Was not too upset, because even with 4 days of phantom drain, I should still have enough to make it home easily. But I put the j1772 adapter in, and the next morning someone left and plugged me in. I thought cool, now I don't have to worry at all about sentry mode being on. The car finished charging after a few hours, and I checked on it later that evening and saw it at like 84%. I was like that's odd. So I checked on it the next morning, and it was at 88%. The app did not show it as charging, but the % kept slowly creeping up. I checked teslafi, and I could see the range slowly increasing. Before the trip I had noticed some overcharging at home, and I just thought it was a situation where the car battery was cold when I charged it, and after it warmed up in the garage overnight that gave me abit more range. But here, the car was sitting out in the cold all day, and it was cloudy the whole time.

So I was able to call the parking lot and they were able to unplug me, and then it started the slow phantom drain. When I got back home, I saw the same thing happen at home in my garage, it just did not get all the way to 88% because I did not let it sit as long plugged in. I switched back to "start charging at", and that stopped the trickle charging.

I did schedule a service appointment, and they started a text conversation with me(while the car was still at the airport parking lot). They checked the logs and did not see anything wrong, but this was after I had the car unplugged. They suggested what I was seeing was normal, that this can happen where the vehicle has been used in a way where the battery management system does not have a chance to make a calculated amp hour capacity by state of charge open circuit voltage calibration, and that the vehicle needed to rest estimate the actual SOC. It did rest in the airport parking lot for two more days after it was unplugged(sentry was on during this time though). It still did this at home in my garage afterwards, where sentry mode is off.

So if you use scheduled departure and are going to leave your car plugged in and unattended for a few days during the holidays, be careful. My software version is 2019.36.2.2.

Scheduled Departure is completely FUBAR. It doesn't care about what time you are going to leave and is hard-coded to complete charging to your level at 6 am no matter what time you have entered. It also randomly starts charging whenever the cable is plugged in and ignores the charge limit...

The good news is the "start charging at XXX time" still works correctly, but you need to manually adjust what time that is to ensure you reach your desired charge level by the time you want to leave.

I only use 20% of my battery during my daily commute, and at home when I charge I get about 15% an hour. So I'm just going back to my old method of setting the car to start charging about 90 minutes before I leave in the morning.

I normally leave for work at 5:45am and using the depart at option works great, unless I work from home or it's the weekend. On these days it continues to charge. I've actually reached 100% one time. (not happy). The other issue is that if I deselect the option to condition on weekends, not only does it not condition the cabin but it doesn't charge either. Not really what I want, especially if I'm planning a Sunday drive or something.

I set Scheduled Departure for 745am and it has been working perfect since I started using it on 1/10/2020. It is not hard coded to stop at 6am. The first few days it would stop by 530am but slowly crept closer and closer to 6am, then went past 6am, which is fine.

SmartSelect_20200130-065312_One UI Home.jpg

I set Scheduled Departure for 745am and it has been working perfect since I started using it on 1/10/2020. It is not hard coded to stop at 6am. The first few days it would stop by 530am but slowly crept closer and closer to 6am, then went past 6am, which is fine.

View attachment 507631
How late is it going? In theory it should get done sometime shortly before 7:45 AM but Tesla's release notes (and other people's experience) indicate that the software is hard coded to:

1. complete charging before 6am to ensure you get off-peak electric charging rates.
2. after being fully charged, it will use some amount of energy between 6am and your scheduled departure to precondition the battery and warm/cool the interior so it is ready to go when you want to go.

Are you sure it is definitely charging the car well after 6am? I don't consider 6:15 am (from your photo) to be reflective of this, rather the car didn't start charging early enough...

How late is it going? In theory it should get done sometime shortly before 7:45 AM but Tesla's release notes (and other people's experience) indicate that the software is hard coded to:

1. complete charging before 6am to ensure you get off-peak electric charging rates.
2. after being fully charged, it will use some amount of energy between 6am and your scheduled departure to precondition the battery and warm/cool the interior so it is ready to go when you want to go.

Are you sure it is definitely charging the car well after 6am? I don't consider 6:15 am (from your photo) to be reflective of this, rather the car didn't start charging early enough...

Perhaps the car did start the charge late but there isn't anything I can do about that. From my experience, it doesn't appear to be hard coded as claimed. Or perhaps there's a +/- 15 minutes. I usually plug-in around 6 or 7pm. The next morning I checked my phone at 645am, so I didn't get a chance to verify if it was in fact still charging at 615am but I believe it was since it didn't reach its usual 242-243 miles until past 6am. If it were to stop charging right at 6am then I'd probably be below 240 miles.

I am just sharing what the app reported. The only real way to know is to see the source code. Maybe there's a bug in the algorithm or the algorithm allows exceptions.

The car then starts up the cabin heater at about 720am to have things toasty and warm at 745am. If I'm running late, the heater and fans are still running at 755am.

Last edited:
The test would be to set a day when you put your departure at noon and see if charging is basically done by 6. If that is the case, then it supports the hard coded time theory. The cabin heater at the scheduled departure time is known. Issue is the charging stops at 6 (or around there) which works great for those in California with a TOD electric plan that goes up at 6. Does no good for those who don't have it or have different hours. The cabin heater also does not preheat the battery any more (some reports that 20.4.1 may fix this) so right now if it is cold and you have a later departure, you can't use scheduled departure to ensure your battery is charging up to before you leave and is warmed up.

related note..last few nights I've set my car to 90% (no scheduled charging) max charge limit. The following morning when I got into the car, it was at 92% one night, 95% the next night. Normal?

I've had problems with this feature as well. I set it up for departure at 6 am each morning and put my limit at 80%. I then left for California for a week, and when I returned, the battery was charged to 100%, the charging outlet was lit up with a red circle, and I had an alert saying my charging current was reduced because of a charging fault. This made me rather concerned, so I've stopped using the feature.

I also have had problems with the feature not starting early enough if you don't charge at the maximum current allowed by your charger.

Bottom line: charge for departure is still a work in progress.