Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You Want a 35k Model 3, You Will have to Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
Most of you probably already know this. But I thought we should get this out of the way for any who do not.
Elon Musk said that the first batch of Model 3 would be highly optioned configurations. Then there will probably be a mid tier Model 3 before any base models are delivered. I wonder how long it will be after the first deliveries, before any base 35k models are delivered? I hope the less well versed public is not too disappointed when they discover this.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
The less well versed public isn't going to be reserving one either, so by the time they get through the reservations the 35K will probably be available. Of course it could also be discontinued due to lack of demand :)

I wonder how they will handle this. With the MS and MX they had Sigs go first. But productions were more or less produced in order of reservation. I could see folks with 1xxx reservation numbers getting upset if 5xxx cars are being delivered just because those folks selected a premium interior.

I feel like the smart thing to do (not taking into account if a lot of retooling would be necessary) would be to produce base or lower optioned cars early on, but at a glacially slower pace. That way, no one can say "Hey, they're not really making any $35,000 cars!" but they can still have a huge proportion of the mix be high margin, high optioned cars.

Just curious, how do you guys think the deliveries will go?:

a. Highly optioned West Coast, mid optioned West Coast, lowly optioned West Coast and then moving on further East; or
b. Highly optioned West Coast followed by Highly optioned middle of country, highly optioned East Coast, before moving on to mid optioned West Coast.

1. option a. or b.?

2. If you choose option b., then does it mean that a non-Tesla Employee, non-Tesla car owner will get a highly optioned car before a Tesla employee gets a mid or lowly optioned car?

3. What does highly optioned car entail (using Model X as guide)?

a. All the bells and whistles
b. Simply a PxxD version

Reason I ask no.3 is because I don't mind paying an extra $6-$8k for performance version if it means I get full tax credit vs. $3,750 or $1,875. I am not willing to add Pano roof (which I categorically do not want, because toddlers like to stare at the sun through it which is extremely dangerous) or other "upgrades" such as air suspension just to get my car sooner.

I know a lot of it is speculation, but does anyone have any idea how it will go?

I definitely want AP, bigger battery, and potentially AWD (if increases performance, since not really needed for safety in Texas), and I will pay for Performance a reasonable price only to get higher tax credit. But I don't want to have to add a bunch of silly options I don't need just to get the car earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt

a. Highly optioned West Coast, mid optioned West Coast, lowly optioned West Coast and then moving on further East; or
b. Highly optioned West Coast followed by Highly optioned middle of country, highly optioned East Coast, before moving on to mid optioned West Coast.

1. option a. or b.?
B - Deliver higher margin cars first to maximize cash flow

2. If you choose option a., then does it mean that a non-Tesla Employee, non-Tesla car owner will get a highly optioned car before a Tesla employee gets a mid or lowly optioned car?
Not withstanding 1B, I expect employee cars to be given an extra bump, as it will help with teething pains and working out the bugs. I would expect low option employee cars to be built with high optioned, non-employee cars (it won't be a hard cutoff, but a blending/mix of production)

b. Simply a PxxD version
More likely A. The more boxes you check, the higher priority, unless certain options aren't available early on (say, there's a production problem with air shocks - all air suspension cars could be delayed).

1. option a. or b.?

2. If you choose option b., then does it mean that a non-Tesla Employee, non-Tesla car owner will get a highly optioned car before a Tesla employee gets a mid or lowly optioned car?

b. Simply a PxxD version

Reason I ask no.3 is because I don't mind paying an extra $6-$8k for performance version if it means I get full tax credit vs. $3,750 or $1,875. I am not willing to add Pano roof (which I categorically do not want, because toddlers like to stare at the sun through it which is extremely dangerous) or other "upgrades" such as air suspension just to get my car sooner.

I know a lot of it is speculation, but does anyone have any idea how it will go?

I definitely want AP, bigger battery, and potentially AWD (if increases performance, since not really needed for safety in Texas), and I will pay for Performance a reasonable price only to get higher tax credit. But I don't want to have to add a bunch of silly options I don't need just to get the car earlier.

That's why I really don't like how they're doing things. I've been waiting ten years to get this car. I'm not a current owner though, not a Tesla employee, not a SpaceX employee and I live on the east coast, so I'm stuck waiting! At least I plan on buying a highly optioned M3, so I won't be at the very back of the line.