Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were buying a Roadster today, would you aim for a 1.5, 2.0, or 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered getting a signature series vs. a 2.5 Sport. Any VIN number after the first 100 or 250 that wasn't a Sport didn't necessarily interest me all that much.

If I didn't already have a Roadster, I would've bought #8 when it came on the market recently. For me, it's as much owning a piece of history as it is having a really fun car to drive.

If you consider a non-Sport, also take a look at the engine specs:

1.5 / 2.0: 185kW and 200lb-ft
2.5: 225kW and 270lb-ft

In Europe, I don't see those big $$$ (€€€) differences. Some sellers don't know much about the resale value. I bought a 2012 car with 8k miles on it, cheaper than any 1.5 I could find on the internet..

If you consider a non-Sport, also take a look at the engine specs:

1.5 / 2.0: 185kW and 200lb-ft
2.5: 225kW and 270lb-ft

In Europe, I don't see those big $$$ (€€€) differences. Some sellers don't know much about the resale value. I bought a 2012 car with 8k miles on it, cheaper than any 1.5 I could find on the internet..

That's a great point; I didn't even realize there was an engine difference.

It sounds like a big improvement, but everything I can find shows 0-60 times at 3.9 seconds for the non-sport model regardless of version. Why is the acceleration reported the same if the newer engine has so much more power output? Are the 2.5s actually faster?

My two cents:

I have owned a 2.0 and currently own a 2.5 sport.

Both cars have had TPMS issues, both seem cured, but each took 2 visits to service center.

I can't detect any differences in performance, noise level or comfort!

I prefer the 2.5 sport only because I like the look better, the colors are right for me and it's a 2.5 sport!

That's a great point; I didn't even realize there was an engine difference.

It sounds like a big improvement, but everything I can find shows 0-60 times at 3.9 seconds for the non-sport model regardless of version. Why is the acceleration reported the same if the newer engine has so much more power output? Are the 2.5s actually faster?

0-60:

Sport - 3.7 seconds
Non-sport - 3.9 seconds

I don't think there are any speed differences among the 1.5/2.0/2.5 non sport models.
- - - Updated - - -

"Motor" difference ;)

YES! Thank you for clarifying that. Sort of a pet peeve being an EV driver. :smile:

Not sure there is much of a practical difference in the motors even between a 1.5 and a 2.5 Sport. Two years ago I had the opportunity to race a 2.5 in 4 1/4 mile runs. I won two in my 1.5 he won 2 in their 2.5 but in no case was one car more than a car length ahead of another at the end of the 1/4 mile. And for each race I had a passenger while the 2.5 Sport had solo drivers.

So while there may be a "spec" bragging right, I saw no practical difference.

I spoke with an owner named Andrew on here over a year ago who had upgraded his Roadster to 2.5 seats and double-DIN to match the 2.5. He mentioned it was over $8,000 for the installation & also that Tesla had stopped offering such a project.

Having nearly purchased both a 1.5 and 2.0 at separate times in my three year-long Roadster debacle, I went through the same thing you're experiencing now. My personal conclusion was that I would only look for a 2.0 or above due to the interior changes. After all, even if you stare at the car for hours like I enjoy doing, you'll spend the most time inside enjoying the interior and driving the car. It all comes down to your needs & preference, and of course: budget. Hope this helps!

If only I could have stopped there :)

Then came the black 2.5 forged wheels, the Carbotech brakes, the Nitron adjustable shocks/springs, ... It is a happy car though....

Reactions: AtAge19
I owned a 1.5 before buying a 2.5. My 1.5 didn't come with the adjustable suspension or double DIN/rear camera. From a driving perspective I found the 1.5 pulled me back with more force upon accelerating from zero than my 2.5. I really liked the gear shift in the 1.5 and the lumbar support adjuster in the 1.5. My 2.5 has Sport seats (thought not a 2.5 sport) and the side supports are great. I prefer the Double DIN and rear camera and I also have the adjustable suspension in my 2.5 which makes driving much nicer. In terms of fun driving they are both amazing. I also have the upgraded headlights in the 2.5 which you can get for the 1.5 as well and make a huge difference driving at night.

I would have bought a 2.5 if I could have afforded it. Probably in white, too. Mostly for the backup camera, and because it's quieter. And maybe I'll buy one eventually, but I'm also very happy with my 1.5. The benefits far outweigh the minor annoyances!

First, thank you so much for everyone who has responded. I've learned a lot from this thread. Ignoring the things that appear to be a wash, that we don't have evidence of, or that aren't as important to me, it seems like I can distill the differences down to:

1.5 Advantages
Much cheaper (leaving money for the 3.0 upgrade)
Physical shifter (I strongly prefer this option)

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages

New Bumper (2.5 only) (which I love) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (2.5 only) (I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s)
Quieter ride (potentially nullified by some aftermarket work on the 1.5)
Wider selection of tires
Center info screen
Power gauge on instrument cluster
Premium seats
Lower interest rate on loan

More Comprehensive list:

1.5 Advantages
Higher quality contractors?

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages
New Bumper (2.5 only) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (2.5 only)
Wider selection of tires
Improved HVAC
Center info screen
Premium seats
Glove box

Hopefully that list will also help others that stumble across this thread in the future who are having the same analysis-paralysis that I am. After making it I was surprised how many advantages I actually had down for the 2.x, but I was also surprised at how minor they were compared to the price difference.

Last edited:
Nicholas, I think that is a fair summary though you left out the improved HVAC unit in the later cars, the glove box in the later cars, the higher quality contractors in the 1.5, and the "tire learning" feature in the later cars that allows the use of more tire types.

You wrote: " I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s"

Can you provide a link to a unit of that type?

First, thank you so much for everyone who has responded. I've learned a lot from this thread. Ignoring the things that appear to be a wash, that we don't have evidence of, or that aren't as important to me, it seems like I can distill the differences down to:

1.5 Advantages

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages
New Bumper (which I love) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s)
Center info screen
Premium seats
Glove box

Hopefully that list will also help others that stumble across this thread in the future who are having the same analysis-paralysis that I am. After making it I was surprised how many advantages I actually had down for the 2.x, but I was also surprised at how minor they were compared to the price difference.

Double Din can be installed by Convert Tuning in Columbus. They did my friends PokerBroker Tesla 1.5 including the installation of the Parrot radio. You do loose the center vents functionality, but the radio is outstanding. I will show you when we get together.

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages
New Bumper (which I love) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)

Please note that this is a 2.5 advantage; the 2.0 has the same bumpers as 1.5. (Except that some people upgraded their bumpers to the new version, what Tesla calls a "2.25" car.)

Double DIN dash (I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s)

Also 2.5 only, except for rare 2.0 cars that were upgraded.

Nicholas, I think that is a fair summary though you left out the improved HVAC unit in the later cars, the glove box in the later cars, the higher quality contractors in the 1.5, and the "tire learning" feature in the later cars that allows the use of more tire types.

You wrote: " I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s"

You're right; I should add another list to that post. I didn't include the improved HVAC because I don't think I'll be using the car in extreme enough weather conditions to matter, and the glove box similarly isn't a big deal to me. Other posts have refuted the 1.5 craftmanship so it may be true, but without evidence either way I didn't want to include it. The tires were an omission; I'll add them in momentarily.

Please note that this is a 2.5 advantage; the 2.0 has the same bumpers as 1.5. (Except that some people upgraded their bumpers to the new version, what Tesla calls a "2.25" car.)

Also 2.5 only, except for rare 2.0 cars that were upgraded.

Thanks; I'll add these corrections. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't really looked into it much; I've just seen them in magazines. Here's one that I found on Crutchfield real quick, though I'd prefer to try to find one that centers the screen over the stereo for better stability.

I've never used one in real life, but I wonder how stable the screens are if you try to touch them, or if they jiggle while driving. I'd also worry that the screen would cover the center air vents, especially problematic if heat is blasting out of them.

The 1.5 also has the benefits of aircraft grade connectors on high power connections, The PEM fan is located much higher keeping debris out. The seats are thinner allowing for more headroom and they have an ADJUSTABLE lumbar support that I like on long drives.

Another minor plus is on the 1.5 performance and standard modes yield the same 0-60 but on the 2.x you need to be in performance mode for full acceleration. Not huge but .3 seconds can be the edge in a drag race. For those who may forget to tap the battery icon.

Last edited:
Another minor plus is on the 1.5 performance and standard modes yield the same 0-60 but on the 2.x you need to be in performance mode for full acceleration. Not huge but .3 seconds can be the edge in a drag race. For those who may forget to tap the battery icon.

Don't forget...you can just reach down and turn the key (like you're starting an ICE car) to toggle between Standard and Performance mode. That's how I do it.

Here is a link to one I found real quick on Crutchfield. I've never used one before and wonder about their stability when being touched, or if they jiggle when the car is in motion, and I'm not sure why the screen isn't centered over the stereo for improved stability. I would also worry about one of these blocking the center vents.

Double Din can be installed by Convert Tuning in Columbus. They did my friends PokerBroker Tesla 1.5 including the installation of the Parrot radio. You do loose the center vents functionality, but the radio is outstanding. I will show you when we get together.

You can convert to Double DIN without losing the center vents:

The Unofficial Guide To a Roadster Double-DIN Conversion

- - - Updated - - -

More Comprehensive list:

1.5 Advantages
Higher quality contractors?

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages
New Bumper (2.5 only) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (2.5 only)
Wider selection of tires
Improved HVAC
Center info screen
Premium seats
Glove box

Don't forget the advantage of the back-up camera on the 2.5. It's a bit tough to see over the rear quarter panels in the Roadster.