Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were willing to put down $10,000 for a high risk/reward TSLA play...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good, but if someone handed you $10K tonight and made you invest it in TSLA, what would you do? Buy more stock? Options? Hold until after earnings?

Unfortunately I'm scared to go into options myself, but I'm very bullish about the ER and I'd probably invest it over two installments before the ER hits. Possibly all in one if there's a decent dip on Monday. I'm also way too bullish about the storage announcement because I work for an employer that could save millions off of peak shaving with Tesla's Powerpacks, so I feel an urgency to go into this ER with holdings due to that as well.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I was about to invest a good chunk in the $30 range after freeing up some other funds, then refused to invest at $90 after missing my opportunity as I saw that to be overvalued. Didn't buy back in until $170 or so, haha.

I'm not concerned with reality, I'm concerned with market/media's 'reality'.

FWIW, the last two offerings (DOE loan payoff and GF) were met positively. They are pretty at timing them during periods of bullishness and high stock price and they use convertible debt to fund projects that should have a bigger payoff down the road. I agree it would be much different if they had to raise money due to unexpected cash burn.

To answer the OP question: I would buy J17 LEAPs. It's supposed to be high-risk and high-reward, right? I don't consider shares high-risk at all.

Friday I bought about 100 more shares. I can't remember the last time I felt such an urgency about buying share immediately. My sense is that the market does not know how to make sense of the stationary business. But I don't care how long it takes. Eventually, the backorders will mount with revenue to follow. If an investor lacks imagination, they can wait for earnings to accumulate. Shorts can take as much time as they like. Shareholders have time on their side.

Friday I bought about 100 more shares. I can't remember the last time I felt such an urgency about buying share immediately. My sense is that the market does not know how to make sense of the stationary business. But I don't care how long it takes. Eventually, the backorders will mount with revenue to follow. If an investor lacks imagination, they can wait for earnings to accumulate. Shorts can take as much time as they like. Shareholders have time on their side.
I found this post fascinating -
Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015 - Page 606
1.5M views of Elon doing his slightly off-the-cuff, multi-billion dollar industry product roll-out, but just 600K for the D reveal. Maybe it's simply continued brand awareness, or maybe it's people feeling they can now get a piece of a Tesla that wasn't available when that meant $100K (although I think the PowerPack applications for commercial, institutional, industrial, and utility scale are the real game changers). At any rate, I was in an office retreat Friday, saw the stock price at lunch (down) and thought, 'huh?' So over the weekend I resolved to take the opportunity, take some $, and see if there was a way to capture some lightning in a bottle. We'll see what Monday brings.

Cattledog, it's an interesting realization that the PowerWall is a product that within financial reach of ordinary homeowners. Moreover, the financial packaging of SolarCity and other solar lease companies will truly put it within reach. Many folks want to buy in and support this vision, even if they cannot afford a Model S. I think we should not underestimate the goodwill of ordinary people, who will buy this product even if their use case is only marginally breakeven. People place positive value on independence and a vision for the future.

I expect prices to be a bit turbulent this week. So you may well get another opportunity to buy below $225. Good luck.

This is Warren Buffet on investments

WB.JPG

DO NOT perform the following maneuver.

1. Put fund into GIC.
2. Ask bank for unsecured line of credit. Should net you double.
3. Take fund, put into margin options account. Preferably 401k or roth ira equivalent
4. Now you will have 40k buying power

5. Sell put june ATM 20k
6. Use the rest buying power to sell call at 260 June
7. With the additional cash Buy equivalent call ATM
8 repeat 6 and 7 until buying power is 0.

Bought some September 18 calls OTM for the first $3K invested. Figuring to catch honest to goodness Model X reveal, 2Q earnings, and annual TSLA September runup.

Has anyone run numbers on Panasonic stock? I was wondeing if the batteries are enough of their sales. Also still hoping for NVDA to take off, got some shares, did OK (+, better than -) during their last run up. Figure it's a little early for them to take the pole position on the driverless derby.