Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If your 12V battery dies....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't appear to me that there is any external place to store a 12 volt power supply. When the Model 3 12 volt system is dead, the frunk can be opened by applying 12 volts to the connection behind the tow eye cover on the front bumper. Once the frunk is open, you can access the 12 volt battery connection.
My plan:
1) If I can find a place externally to hide a 12V jumper pack, hide and move 12V emergency frunk leads to 12V jumper pack location
2) If I cannot do the above, place 12V pack internally with 12V emergency frunk leads routed to this internal location, and have a hidden remote activation switch for the 12V jumper pack

Paranoid. Maybe. Stolen motorcycle, stolen car battery, and multiple home break in victim :mad: .

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Pkmmte
My plan:
1) If I can find a place externally to hide a 12V jumper pack, hide and move 12V emergency frunk leads to 12V jumper pack location
2) If I cannot do the above, place 12V pack internally with 12V emergency frunk leads routed to this internal location, and have a hidden remote activation switch for the 12V jumper pack

Paranoid. Maybe. Stolen motorcycle, stolen car battery, and multiple home break in victim :mad: .

I'm not quite sure what you are protecting against. The frunk can only be opened this way when the 12v battery is dead, and even then it only gives access to the frunk.

Reactions: T-Will
My plan:

Your thread got me thinking about my own Model 3 situation. I've been ordering items for my Model 3, even though I don't have it yet. I did a search on Amazon and found a small (4.5"x2.5"x1") 12 volt lithium ion battery that should operate the frunk latch in an emergency and the battery pack is small enough to carry in a jacket pocket.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
...and even then it only gives access to the frunk.
Exactly. Along with another 12V battery that can be stolen, tow hook, etc.

And in my case all that stuff that currently rolls around and takes up space in my trunk (like basic survival kit, water, reflectors, tire kit, etc.). That way I can use the rear seat/trunk area solely as versatile cargo space.

So you are able to get the frunk open...now what....battery is dead...is that user replaceable? Can I just go down to my local auto parts store and pickup another 12V and replace or do I need the car towed to Tesla service? Is the car driveable with a dead 12V. If you gotta tow the car anyway...why not just have the tow company bring the external 12V.

Guess the bottomline is change out the 12V before it dies...hope the car is smart enough to tell ya when the 12V is about to die so one can replace.

Current Tesla's do have sensors that alert owners if the 12V or traction batteries become suspect.

Owners can physically gain entry into their frunks. Details in owners manual.

Just like any other vehicle, if the 12V is totally dead the car will not start.

Instructions are also detailed on how to hook 12V up to a charger.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
If you gotta tow the car anyway...why not just have the tow company bring the external 12V....Guess the bottomline is change out the 12V before it dies...
From what I have seen, the battery is a standard SLA. I haven't popped off the battery cover on one, so don't know for sure (hint current owner please have a look for us ;) ).

You could wait for the 12V source to arrive, and then rely on the tow operator on knowing how to access the frunk on a Model 3 and then how to ready it for tow mode (my money is on most tow operators knowing nothing about Teslas).

And if its towed without it in tow mode everyone is in for a spectacle. IMO better to be equipped well enough to get the vehicle tow ready while you await the flat bed's arrival.

If the M3 is anything like the S...if you are running short on range and start getting low on the HV battery, it will start offboarding 12V loads to the 12V battery in order to maximize remaining HV capacity. So even a 12V in excellent condition beforehand may die in this situation.

No one sees the irony here? My mini jump starter (which could be used to open the frunk) is in the frunk. So, if I have 12V to open the frunk, I don't need it! The battery jumper can be used to 1) open the frunk and 2)start the vehicle (which really means pull the high voltage battery in), but where should I store it so that I can use it when the 12v battery dies? No physical key makes this a mystery....

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
No one sees the irony here? My mini jump starter (which could be used to open the frunk) is in the frunk. So, if I have 12V to open the frunk, I don't need it! The battery jumper can be used to 1) open the frunk and 2)start the vehicle (which really means pull the high voltage battery in), but where should I store it so that I can use it when the 12v battery dies? No physical key makes this a mystery....

I’d just call roadside assistance. This is a situation that should be very rare and not worthy of all the concern, in my opinion.

Reactions: T-Will and AlanSqB
Maybe not common, but many years of car ownership has taught me to have jumper cables just in case. Recently, that has been replaced by portable li-ion battery packs for the same purpose. Having one of these can save you well over an hour of lost time. So, now that we've given up our spare tire, we must also give up our portable battery too? It's so small and simple, why?

Check the first responders handbook. There is a way to get into the funk without electric.