Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If your installing a 14-50 Outlet think about the future too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are like most of us and installing an outlet to be able to charge from make sure you think about future expansion as well. My BMW i3 would only charge at 32 amps, and I ran cabling and 4 conductors to feed it, never planning on owning a Tesla. That outlet also lets me use a welder or anything else that wants up to 50 amps.

When you are running wire, or paying to have wire run, give some thoughts to installing larger wire than you need TODAY because you don't know what you'll need/want in the future.

Wire is stupid expensive right now, but spend the money to go up a size to give you some room if whatever is next wants more juice you are ready for it.

I installed a Siemens 32 amp charge outside at work but since the wire run was 12 feet I ran wire capable of up to 75 amps. As long as the connector or outlet can handle the larger wire, leave a few inches of extra wire for the future.

Oh, and read the guide pinned in this section about the difference in 14-50 outlets. Especially if you plan to be plugging and unplugging often, spending money on a higher quality outlet than what you buy at a big box store. For the difference in the price of a tank of gas for a pickup, you can buy a quality outlet with much better contacts and maybe you won't burn down your house.

Reactions: Big Earl and Kimmi
When you are running wire, or paying to have wire run, give some thoughts to installing larger wire than you need TODAY because you don't know what you'll need/want in the future.
Wouldn't that only be applicable if you might install a 40A circuit versus a 50A circuit for the 14-50 outlet? In that case, the question is, do you anticipate needing or really wanting 40A EV charging over 32A EV charging in the future?

Or are you suggesting installing 60A wiring just in case you may want to replace the outlet with a 48A (hardwire) EVSE?

My only point is to think ahead, when I wired my home the i3 community said to run wire for 40a because the car only pulls 32a and install a 40a breaker. I ran wire for 50a, and then went up a size because I had to dig a trench and burry part of it, I didn't want to redo that. In the mean time a welder drawing up to 50a in no issue.

Who knows what we'll want to power in 5 to 10 years, or how much current you'll want to draw.