Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Considering The Console, Get on Waiting List to Save $200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
If you've recently ordered a model S, and are considering ordering a console that Tesla isn't yet selling (any finish other than Piano Black), you should write to [email protected] and ask to get on the waiting list. Doing so should result in your receiving an e-mail response, as I did, in which they let you know that when the console becomes available they will sell it to you at the $600-$800 price (depending on finish) that they sell the console for if ordered at the time the Model S is ordered instead of the $800-$1000 price they will be selling them for if purchased later.

I wrote to them today, just to find out if Obeche Matte might be available before my P85D leaves the factory (it won't be--at least not for me) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that because I wrote, I'll wind up saving $200 if I do wind up buying the console.

There's no downside, as you can always choose not to purchase the console when they contact you to let you know they have reached your position in the waiting list.

If this is already common knowledge, I apologize, but I had not seen it posted.

Note that the only place on the console that has the selectable finish (Piano Black, Obeche Matte, Carbon Fiber, ...) is the cover over the compartment near the USB and charger plugs.

If you plan to use the charging dock in the console for your phone, then you'll likely leave that area open, which hides the finished cover.

I have a CF interior and saved an extra $200 and got the console earlier by ordering the PB cover - which I will never see, since I always put my smartphone on the charging dock when I'm in the car.

Speaking of the charging dock, you mention a smartphone, so I'm guessing that means non-Apple. I'm wondering if the micro-USB connection would be able to accommodate a phone in a case that causes the port to be recessed a little bit. From the picture, it looks like it might extend up far enough to work, but it's hard to tell.

If I can't actually use the phone dock I guess I would just use the 12V and keep the phone plugged in and sitting in that general area, as I'm not going to take the phone out of its case. But it would be nice to be able to actually charge the phone in the dock, in its case.

Thanks.

Search other threads - there is information on how it's easy to dis-assemble the docking connector and adjust it to increase how far the connector protrudes from the console - so that phones in cases can be charged.

I've done that with my phone - plus instead of using one of the car's USB ports, I'm using a high-speed charger plugged into the power port - and get faster charging.

Search other threads - there is information on how it's easy to dis-assemble the docking connector and adjust it to increase how far the connector protrudes from the console - so that phones in cases can be charged.

I've done that with my phone - plus instead of using one of the car's USB ports, I'm using a high-speed charger plugged into the power port - and get faster charging.

I have searched other threads. Thanks.

In the other threads--at least the ones I saw--people talked about drilling the original cutout and then modifying things, neither of which which I am inclined to do, as I'm not particularly handy.

I also read in other threads that since one of the software updates (I believe someone said 5.8, but I didn't pay that much attention since I don't have my Tesla yet, and it's going to come with 6. something) the USB ports charge at 1.5. My Android phone can't charge higher than that anyway, so I have no need to use the 12V. My wife, who uses an iPhone --does-- need to use the 12V, so I need to leave that free for her.

I will search again, to see if I can find other threads that you may be referring to, that don't involve drilling or modifications that seem beyond what I am capable of, since it sounds like you are saying even a case with just a bit of a lip won't work.

Thanks.

I did more searching. Didn't find any threads that seemed to help. I did find an adapter on Amazon for $1.85, shipping included, so I ordered it. I don't even know if I'm going to order the console, but who knows if this adapter will be around then. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $1.85. Here it is, in case this helps someone else: Amazon.com: {Factory Direct Sale} Micro-B USB Male to 30 Pin 30P Female Docking Adapter Converter for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 S4 i9500 - Christmas Gift: Cell Phones Accessories

Edit: I realized after posting this, and looking at it again, that this obviously wouldn't work. I canceled my order at Amazon.

Last edited:
Note that the only place on the console that has the selectable finish (Piano Black, Obeche Matte, Carbon Fiber, ...) is the cover over the compartment near the USB and charger plugs.

If you plan to use the charging dock in the console for your phone, then you'll likely leave that area open, which hides the finished cover.

I have a CF interior and saved an extra $200 and got the console earlier by ordering the PB cover - which I will never see, since I always put my smartphone on the charging dock when I'm in the car.
I never charge my phone in the car unless I'm on a long trip. It's usually in my pocket or attached to my airframe holder in the vent because I'm using Waze. As such I anticipate having the cover closed most of the time and want the matching look.

It's a bit curious why Tesla has PB available but none of the other finishes. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's a bit curious why Tesla has PB available but none of the other finishes. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think they just don't have them ready yet. They released the piano black first, correctly thinking that since it was the most generic, some people with other interiors would also take it if they wanted something right away, before they had the more specific finishes ready.

It looks like I have another issue with the Micro USB adapter in the console I may never order in the car I don't have yet, with my phone.

Here's a picture of the console with the USB adapter, from another thread:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o9loonxrkktc2y/2014-01-19 18.14.24.jpg

The orientation of the micro USB adapter is backwards from the way I would need it to be on my HTC One M8. I can't tell from the picture if that can easily be changed. Perhaps it can just be twisted /rotated around to the other orientation. (bob_p--can you chime in with an answer to that, please, if you have a moment?)

If it can't easily be rotated, I guess I could buy one of these, which, according to the comments, reverses the direction of the micro usb connection ends: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QWMU0I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JSBUBRVPP4SX

THIS!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, if you have a case on your phone, here's a handy extender that eliminates the need for a cord. It's available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Accessories-Functionality-dockStubz-CableJive/dp/B00KH08E1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415902409&sr=1-1&keywords=lightning+extender

I think they just don't have them ready yet. They released the piano black first, correctly thinking that since it was the most generic, some people with other interiors would also take it if they wanted something right away, before they had the more specific finishes ready.
Still doesn't make sense. They have all the other finishes for the interior trim available. What does it take to get another finish "ready"? They can't do that at the same time as PB?

slightly confused, if I wanted to get the regular piano black console now, its available at $600 on the website. are the prices going to increase to $800 soon? or does the 600$ price require you to buy it along with the car?

slightly confused, if I wanted to get the regular piano black console now, its available at $600 on the website. are the prices going to increase to $800 soon? or does the 600$ price require you to buy it along with the car?

I think the prices probably are going to increase soon. But my post doesn't really apply to anyone who wants the piano black finish. This was the first sentence of my original post, with emphasis added in bold: "If you've recently ordered a model S, and are considering ordering a console that Tesla isn't yet selling (any finish other than Piano Black), you should write to [email protected] and ask to get on the waiting list."

To adjust the charging cable in the Tesla console to support phones in cases, the change is relatively easy to do.

Remove all connections to the USB and charging ports. The "floor" of the phone charging area should slide out, exposing the USB cable.

Using a screwdriver, you can remove the plastic part containing the charging cable where the smartphone docks.

Remove the USB cable from that part, and shave a small amount of plastic from the post that holds the USB connect for the dock, allowing the connector to slide out a little further, so it can make connection with the smartphone in it's case.

To prevent the USB connector from sliding back into the consoler (after everything's assembled), put something inside that plastic part underneath the USB connector for padding. I used a small amount of electrical tape.

Re-assemble everything, and if the smartphone still doesn't connect, repeat until it does make contact.

Don't go overboard on having the USB connector into the phone protrude too much from the console - because you still want the bulk of the weight of the phone to be riding on the console - and not solely on the USB connector (which could risk damaging the phone).

As an extra step, I have a high-speed USB charging adapter plugged into the power port, and I routed the Tesla console USB wire to plug into that - significantly increasing the power going to my phone.

I appreciate the detailed instructions. I may have to go this route, if the Micro USB connector doesn't extend up far enough "as is." If you knew just how un-handy I am, and how badly some of the "projects" I have undertaken have turned out, you'd understand why I am reluctant to mess with anything involving a six-figure car!

As an extra step, I have a high-speed USB charging adapter plugged into the power port, and I routed the Tesla console USB wire to plug into that - significantly increasing the power going to my phone.

I'm really not sure this is still necessary with the current version of the software. I'm sure I've read that at least one of the USB ports is now charging at 1.5 amps. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any Android phones that can take more than 1.5 amps. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

FYI, depending on your service center it might be a while before you can get an appointment to get the center console. Here's my quick story:

10/29: confirmed P85D order (early-December delivery estimate)
11/4: order piano black center console
11/5: console shipped to service center in San Rafael, CA
11/10: console arrived at service center
11/11: service center emails me with next available appointments

Here's the kicker: earliest appointment to install the console is... December 6th! (a Saturday).
For a non-weekend appointment, I'd have to wait till January :crying: So I went ahead and booked a Saturday, December 13th appointment.

Now this is just one data point for the San Rafael service center, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up that it might take a while to get your shiny new console installed, so if you're thinking of ordering one give yourself plenty of time.

Making the small adjustment to the dock to get the connector to stick out a little further is relatively simple - and only involves a few screws and shaving a very small amount of plastic off one post inside the console. The console is designed so that the plastic piece holding the USB docking connector is removable - worst case, if it gets messed up, it should be possible to get a replacement from Tesla...