Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Considering The Console, Get on Waiting List to Save $200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making the small adjustment to the dock to get the connector to stick out a little further is relatively simple - and only involves a few screws and shaving a very small amount of plastic off one post inside the console. The console is designed so that the plastic piece holding the USB docking connector is removable - worst case, if it gets messed up, it should be possible to get a replacement from Tesla...

Thanks again.

And if the connector does happen to be long enough, and the only modification I need is to rotate the connector 180 degrees, is it possible to rotate it without taking it apart at all (meaning it is built to be able to rotate) or will I still need to take it apart to rotate it and then just put it back together?

Thanks!

FYI, depending on your service center it might be a while before you can get an appointment to get the center console. Here's my quick story:

10/29: confirmed P85D order (early-December delivery estimate)
11/4: order piano black center console
11/5: console shipped to service center in San Rafael, CA
11/10: console arrived at service center
11/11: service center emails me with next available appointments

Here's the kicker: earliest appointment to install the console is... December 6th! (a Saturday).
For a non-weekend appointment, I'd have to wait till January :crying: So I went ahead and booked a Saturday, December 13th appointment.

Now this is just one data point for the San Rafael service center, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up that it might take a while to get your shiny new console installed, so if you're thinking of ordering one give yourself plenty of time.

It's more likely your car will be delivered with the console installed. My S85 was. If they have the console, it's not much extra to do while they are prepping the car for delivery.

It looks like I have another issue with the Micro USB adapter in the console I may never order in the car I don't have yet, with my phone.

The Micro USB cable in can be flipped over to work with phones that have the connector flipped. It's just four screws to do it.

Making the small adjustment to the dock to get the connector to stick out a little further is relatively simple - and only involves a few screws and shaving a very small amount of plastic off one post inside the console. The console is designed so that the plastic piece holding the USB docking connector is removable - worst case, if it gets messed up, it should be possible to get a replacement from Tesla...

On mine with the micro usb there doesn't seem to be any need to shave the plastic at all, just push more of the cable through the opening. I don't use a case so I didn't worry about it so I can't confirm that it would work 100%.