Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you're first, you're last.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you paid 250,000 up front for Roadster in 2017 when stock price was 210, was it still worth being first or having 890,000 in stock value?
You are framing it as if investing in Tesla was everyone else's only other option. I doubt for most it was one or the other. I would also assume if one can afford a 250k car that one makes a pretty good living.

Heck, was it worth it not to buy Tesla stock when it was $39 a share instead of whatever else this person bought at the time? Was it worth it to be married to your current spouse when your old flame turned out to be hotter in their old age,etc.etc.etc.

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it.

:rolleyes:

I don’t know if they actually did it, but I remember several people saying they loved the car, but they’d rather throw $50k at TSLA instead of the deposit until it was actually launched.

I, personally, didn’t have $50k just lying around so I couldn’t participate, but I liked the foresight. ;)

Reactions: APotatoGod
You are framing it as if investing in Tesla was everyone else's only other option. I doubt for most it was one or the other. I would also assume if one can afford a 250k car that one makes a pretty good living.

Heck, was it worth it not to buy Tesla stock when it was $39 a share instead of whatever else this person bought at the time? Was it worth it to be married to your current spouse when your old flame turned out to be hotter in their old age,etc.etc.etc.

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it.

:rolleyes:

I agree with you. I hope Elon at least puts thrusters on it and rewards these most loyal investors somehow. I put 50,000 deposit a while back and then started investing at 325/380/420/480/711 and I could get hammered because it’s an anomaly and mostly emotional enthusiasm that I’m caught up in like everyone else. I’ve just become an Elon junky. Can’t get enough.

Makes total sense. I read those post and agreed and still put down the deposit. I don’t think it will be out anytime soon though. And I think the people that paid 250,000 up front should get some serious reward.

Sorry but a lot of this makes no sense at all and only makes you sound like you cannot really afford the car or don't have the money to spend so easily. Any of you bought a new car from Porsche, Ferrari or the likes? For certain exclusives such as the Founders edition it is common to pay 100% upfront or a large non refundable deposit. Do you think Porsche, ferrari and such are always nice? have a problem and you will soon find out. Do you think Porsche never bans customers from buying a car? Much more common than people think. In fact this is what pushed up the deposit for Porsche in the U.K and the base price of the car is much higher than it was.

Items you purchase and your investments are totally different.
In my experience people usually lie about money, how much they make and especially traders who just don't mention their losses. Now you can say you could have made money putting the money in Tesla stock as it has increased. But this has nothing to do with buying a car. Why should Tesla give you interest, no one else does on a deposit for a purchase no matter how big or small. Do you talk like this when you buy a house? ANY stock purchased low and sold high gives a great return, now you try to predict this and get it right.

I'm far from rich but was happy to give my deposit for the Roadster and this has not affected my investments or my companies. Do you guys have every penny you have invested?

I understand Pinot.Noir saying you would not put anything down without a release date within 6 months, seems you should shop at BMW, Merc or Toyota as they can do this. Ferrari, Lambo and those often take large amounts of money for much longer than 6 months. Therefore, it seems your statements are due to a lack of experience with such cars as this is not abnormal. There are reasons they want a high deposit or even full payment, do the people making these comments not understand this and why? Seems very reasonable to me as it cuts out a lot of BS for the manufacturer and buyer.
You also claim to be making 20% annually if not better. This make even less sense, put down your deposit and get your 20% to help pay for the car and keep putting the money back in. There is a number of ways you could do this. I would not believe your 20% without 100% proof, i know many people who talk like this and many others that don't, there is a clear reason and difference why. If you can make 20% on your investments, what's the problem!
What cars do you drive? I see a model S and 3 which are not in the league of the Roadster, I wouldn't buy either due to low range on both, Model 3 floating screen is like a merc and looks ugly, both very low top speed. Roadster being 600 miles or over 400 is much better for me.
If you don't wish to put any money down on a Roadster why be here stating this? That's your opinion and clearly if you had more money and experience of other car manufacturers, i think you would find this very fair and a bargain. But as you are not interested until it is release then why is your opinion relevant? Why even waste your time discussing this when you should be concentrating on your investments to make more?

If you ask me how much I earn etc I can show you 100% proof but I don't see what it has to do with me buying a car, words on a forum should be taken with a pinch of salt. Most people lie about money especially those that don't have much. Then there are jealous people who slate anything involving large amounts of money except any of their actions. This is why many forums are filled with people chatting rubbish due to a lack of experience. This makes the people who do have money not want to say their truth in case people jump on their comments. This means the info we get on forums is less helpful. Go to any car dealer and they will try to tell you how paying a car off on finance is easier, better and saves money! I have heard this a few times but I never finance cars as I simply cannot afford the interest, if a car is £50k i want to pay £50k or less not £65k. But so many people finance cars they simply cannot afford but never admit this. If you are very rich and have millions in the bank then yes it can be more cost effective to keep the money in the bank and pay the finance off with the interest but again this costs you more money in interest leaving you with less money in the bank overall anyway.
A guy at Porsche said the same thing and spoke to me like he knew what he was talking about even saying to me 'you know how it is you can make more money keeping your money in the bank using it in my businesses'. Why is he in this low paid job then if he knows so much! it clearly shows I have the money spare and want to pay the value of the car and not more which makes better sense to me.

Don't talk about money in such a ridiculous manner that you isolate people from the forum who can give us invaluable information. I see this on forums all the time. No wonder the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor and never the twain shall meet. Rich people are much kinder than poor people in so many ways, can help you more, wont fight over £5 and lie much less. Poor people are less intelligent due to lack of experience which will not increase with such an attitude. I learnt so much from people with money and was helped a lot, while poor people laughed at me, spat in my face and would discuss and pray for my downfall. Why is there not more honesty like this on these forums? Cos there are more poor than rich and I know I will get jumped on for these comments anyway!
So many times people ask questions and the first few to answer either answer something else or question the OP. Just answer the question if you can or don't. Don't try to 2nd guess, ask but don't 2nd guess. This type of argumentative answering keeps some people off forums which means we have less info to work with.

I respect those that say openly they cannot afford it rather than moaning about giving a $50k deposit which is very normal as if you can afford the car giving another excuse as to why you wont make your purchase. No one wants to lose $50k, keep an eye on the share price and if it starts to dip too low then get a refund, simple. Did you know that most supermarkets have a 50% - 250% mark up on products? why not complain about them ripping us off? You could probably afford the deposit if you bought other items you use regularly cheaper or in bulk if you use them. Then when the internet kills shops for being too expensive Amazon gets the blame! For being cheaper?!?!?!

Sorry but a lot of this makes no sense at all and only makes you sound like you cannot really afford the car or don't have the money to spend so easily. Any of you bought a new car from Porsche, Ferrari or the likes? For certain exclusives such as the Founders edition it is common to pay 100% upfront or a large non refundable deposit. Do you think Porsche, ferrari and such are always nice? have a problem and you will soon find out. Do you think Porsche never bans customers from buying a car? Much more common than people think. In fact this is what pushed up the deposit for Porsche in the U.K and the base price of the car is much higher than it was.

In my experience people usually lie about money, how much they make and especially traders who just don't mention their losses. Now you can say you could have made money putting the money in Tesla stock as it has increased. But this has nothing to do with buying a car. Why should Tesla give you interest, no one else does on a deposit for a purchase no matter how big or small. Do you talk like this when you buy a house? ANY stock purchased low and sold high gives a great return, now you try to predict this and get it right.

I'm far from rich but was happy to give my deposit for the Roadster and this has not affected my investments or my companies. Do you guys have every penny you have invested?

I understand Pinot.Noir saying you would not put anything down without a release date within 6 months, seems you should shop at BMW, Merc or Toyota as they can do this. Ferrari, Lambo and those often take large amounts of money for much longer than 6 months. Therefore, it seems your statements are due to a lack of experience with such cars as this is not abnormal. There are reasons they want a high deposit or even full payment, do the people making these comments not understand this and why? Seems very reasonable to me as it cuts out a lot of BS for the manufacturer and buyer.
You also claim to be making 20% annually if not better. This make even less sense, put down your deposit and get your 20% to help pay for the car and keep putting the money back in. There is a number of ways you could do this. I would not believe your 20% without 100% proof, i know many people who talk like this and many others that don't, there is a clear reason and difference why. If you can make 20% on your investments, what's the problem!
What cars do you drive? I see a model S and 3 which are not in the league of the Roadster, I wouldn't buy either due to low range on both, Model 3 floating screen is like a merc and looks ugly, both very low top speed. Roadster being 600 miles or over 400 is much better for me.
If you don't wish to put any money down on a Roadster why be here stating this? That's your opinion and clearly if you had more money and experience of other car manufacturers, i think you would find this very fair and a bargain. But as you are not interested until it is release then why is your opinion relevant? Why even waste your time discussing this when you should be concentrating on your investments to make more?

If you ask me how much I earn etc I can show you 100% proof but I don't see what it has to do with me buying a car, words on a forum should be taken with a pinch of salt. Most people lie about money especially those that don't have much. Then there are jealous people who slate anything involving large amounts of money except any of their actions. This is why many forums are filled with people chatting rubbish due to a lack of experience. This makes the people who do have money not want to say their truth in case people jump on their comments. This means the info we get on forums is less helpful. Go to any car dealer and they will try to tell you how paying a car off on finance is easier, better and saves money! I have heard this a few times but I never finance cars as I simply cannot afford the interest, if a car is £50k i want to pay £50k or less not £65k. But so many people finance cars they simply cannot afford but never admit this. If you are very rich and have millions in the bank then yes it can be more cost effective to keep the money in the bank and pay the finance off with the interest but again this costs you more money in interest leaving you with less money in the bank overall anyway.
A guy at Porsche said the same thing and spoke to me like he knew what he was talking about even saying to me 'you know how it is you can make more money keeping your money in the bank using it in my businesses'. Why is he in this low paid job then if he knows so much! it clearly shows I have the money spare and want to pay the value of the car and not more which makes better sense to me.

Don't talk about money in such a ridiculous manner that you isolate people from the forum who can give us invaluable information. I see this on forums all the time. No wonder the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor and never the twain shall meet. Rich people are much kinder than poor people in so many ways, can help you more, wont fight over £5 and lie much less. Poor people are less intelligent due to lack of experience which will not increase with such an attitude. I learnt so much from people with money and was helped a lot, while poor people laughed at me, spat in my face and would discuss and pray for my downfall. Why is there not more honesty like this on these forums? Cos there are more poor than rich and I know I will get jumped on for these comments anyway!
So many times people ask questions and the first few to answer either answer something else or question the OP. Just answer the question if you can or don't. Don't try to 2nd guess, ask but don't 2nd guess. This type of argumentative answering keeps some people off forums which means we have less info to work with.

I respect those that say openly they cannot afford it rather than moaning about giving a $50k deposit which is very normal as if you can afford the car giving another excuse as to why you wont make your purchase. No one wants to lose $50k, keep an eye on the share price and if it starts to dip too low then get a refund, simple. Did you know that most supermarkets have a 50% - 250% mark up on products? why not complain about them ripping us off? You could probably afford the deposit if you bought other items you use regularly cheaper or in bulk if you use them. Then when the internet kills shops for being too expensive Amazon gets the blame! For being cheaper?!?!?!
1FDAAB3C-0FF7-4850-85FC-D42D3181B045.gif

I made the 50,000 deposit in August and am keeping it because I don’t want to wait. Sure it’s worth 150,000 but that doesn’t bother me. I have since been buying stock since. I believe Musk should be transparent and change “expected production 2020” if it’s not the case and it’s probably not. Since he has been more transparent and realistic it’s helped things. My point was 250,000 for founders has to give some regret unless you are stupid rich and you want to have something this many years later that hasn’t even sold 1,000 yet which only proves my point. I could have worded it differently but my point stays the same. But hindsight is always 20/20.