Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She is slowly getting on board with my ☰ "enthusiasm", even saying that she could take it to work every once and a while because she has a couple of charging stations in her work parking lot!

This is dangerous. She will slowly get accustomed to the car, then point out that it actually makes more sense for her to be driving the Model 3, and you may slowly discover you are now the regular driver of The Other Car. I give it 6 months from the arrival of the car, tops, for this to unfold. :)

I'll be... trying to figure out what I'm doing. The lease will likely be up on my smart ED before the Model 3s roll off the line. My options are to buy a used electric smart (they aren't holding their value very well, so they're pretty cheap) and not worry about getting a reservation ASAP (because that would buy me a few years) or to try to get an early reservation and drive an ICE Ford Ranger in the gap time. I'm not really prepared for that. It's not a bad idea to drive an ICE car now and then, just for the perspective, but I kind of whimper at the idea of using it as a daily driver. At present, it's our reliable hauler for home repair projects and the like. But the smart is quick and nimble and responsive, and the pickup... is... not.

A bunch of used garbage from 1987 through the Tacoma.
Toyota Tacoma 1998 (purchase, great truck, still miss that little green devil)
Honda Accord 2005 (purchase, boring and not inline with my midlife crisis that was developing)
Porsche Cayman 2008 (purchase, awesome to drive and own but expensive)
Porsche Boxster 2013 (purchase, awesome to drive but a problem child of a car and decided didn't want the car post warranty)
BMW 335ix 2015 (lease, picked a legally binding contract to prevent me from buying a $100k Model S)
Tesla Model 3 xxD 2018 (purchase)
Tesla...
Tesla..
Tesla.
Death.

That is my basic plan in life right now. Subject to change. The BMW 335i is a great car, motor is the pretty awesome. Smooth, quiet and powerful twin turbo straight 6. I picked it basically because i wanted nice luxury, family friendly 4 door auto for $600 a month. BMW fit the bill and gave me a solid but not any less painful trade in on my Boxster. 3 years old, 39k mile and took a almost 50% depreciation hit from a 62k purchase price+tax with a trade was $34k. Ouch still hurts to think about it. Should have leased that Boxster...

Reactions: Seesaw
2013 Ford Fusion Energi. It's a plug in hybrid. 20 miles electric. 600 miles gas. I can't wait to trade it in for a Model 3 (depending on the vehicle design). Elon said it would be different from anything we've ever seen. Kind of makes me wonder.

Last edited:
The 3 would be replacing my wife's Lexus IS250. She doesn't want a large vehicle, so she'd value a two row vehicle with AWD that doesn't have the "hump" in the middle seat, possibly allowing three kids to sit comfortably for around town driving. Not going to the gas station would be a bonus, too.

I was on the Model X reservation list, but decided to buy a GL in the end. It was a tough decision.

I'm coming from a worked '93 F150, and its about toast. Ive already got another newer truck and will replace the 150 with a model 3. That will be my daily and long distance car. I do some construction, so a tesla model truck would be sweet, and would definatly get one!

2011 Lexus IS350 AWD.

Am I the first one with in there target market of the BMW 3 or Lexus IS? It seems that there are a lot of vehicles being listed that cost $25k new. A $45k - $50k vehicle seems like a big step up. Am I wrong in these thoughts?

I came to the Volt from a 2009 Lexus IS 250. So we are out here, just not obvious if we have already made the first jump into an EV.

But I do expect a lot of sticker shock for folks when the actual prices and options come out. We already lost one super fan in the countdown thread once they actually started looking at the numbers and the fact that they wouldn't be able to claim the full tax credit based on their low tax liability.

Tesla Model S.

I prefer a smaller car. My model S will likely get traded in on a model X for the wife.

Then,when the model c, or whatever they call the small suv is released I'll get that. Came to the model s from a 2015 Audi Q5 TDI and loved the size of that vehicle.

Hoping to get a Model 3 around the time our 2015 e-Golf lease is up in April 2018. Provided the wife goes for it. She's making noises that she wants a substantially bigger car after going down in size from a Passat Wagon to the e-Golf. I'm probably keeping my 2012 RAV4 EV until Model Y because I just got the 8/100 extended warranty and the Jdemo.

Tesla Model S.

I prefer a smaller car. My model S will likely get traded in on a model X for the wife.

Then,when the model c, or whatever they call the small suv is released I'll get that. Came to the model s from a 2015 Audi Q5 TDI and loved the size of that vehicle.
That smaller crossover you are talking about must be the Model Y, becuase elon musk said that had falcon wing doors as well. Although I wouldn't expect anything for a little while until the model 3's start coming out.

I take it from the way tesla builds their cars, making different styles isn't as hard as it is for ICE cars. So turning out yet abother style of tesla after model 3 AND 2019 Roadster before 2020 seems like a viable task.

Kinda surprised at how few people are coming from EVs - but at the same time, relieved that the 3 is getting so many people off the gas!

My 2013 Leaf is my second-ever "new" car (2014-present); last was a 2011 Leaf (late 2012~mid 2014), and my "first car ever" was an '87 Fiero (from 2007~2012 ish). Before that, it was a Zap Lepton electric scooter, like a Vespa with 4x12v car batteries that got (quickly) up to 27 MPH where it was limited. Pretty much my life's goal had been to make my first car electric... knowing how gas engines work, I could never stand that being "the norm"! It makes so much more sense for transportation to be electric.

Kinda surprised at how few people are coming from EVs - but at the same time, relieved that the 3 is getting so many people off the gas!

I think you take for granted how informed you are on EVs. My wife would not know they even existed were it not for me, let alone the potential benefits.

More importantly, there hasn't been an EV entry in the 35-50k range that compared in performance and looks to an A4, 3 series, IS, or C class. Comparatively all EVs other than Tesla are pretty lame and undesirable if you take out the green aspect. The Bolt will not change that, it's still not going to displace those vehicles. However, the model 3 is going to make an awful lot of waves in the segment.

Reactions: palmer_md