Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! And so many of the electric cars are just tiny. Not big enough for a cart load of groceries, luggage, families, etc. Plus I buy a new car & drive it for a really long time before I get another new one. Longevity of a car has a big environmental impact as well. Excited that Tesla's are much simpler with moving parts & maintenance. I expect them to have a longer life span than the typical ICE car which becomes maintenance intensive after 10 yrs no matter the mileage. Hopefully cars will be recycled better and end up in landfills less often.

Not to mention, IMO at least, many EVs are hideous!

We have a very-early 2013 Model S 85 and a 2012 Rav4 EV, so I haven't decided which on it'll replace yet. Both cars put on a ton of miles each year, so I expect the Model S to surpass 100,000 miles by the time the Model 3 arrives at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018.

Lexus IS350. Bought it used from a dealership for a steal of a price, and now have 153000km on the odometer. I don't mind driving it to the ground, but I'd rather not buy gas ever again. The second-generation do not have foldable backseats, so Model 3 is perfect timing for a new car when I plan on starting a family.

I have 2 16 year old cars hoping that between them I can keep a car running until the model 3 comes out. (Vw 99 turbo and 00 Ford Mustang. I also got my CA license tag the week Tesla decided on Model 3 after the Ford tussle. If my cars give out I have my new electric bicycle for longer distance hauls.

My trade-in would be the Model S, since it is now the only car I have. If I make the switch. I'd really like AWD and the bigger battery (that I am confident the 3 will have) for longer range and faster Supercharging. But I've decided that I really like the huge trunk and frunk space of the RWD S. And the car fits fine in my formerly jammed two car garage.

I'll see what I think after a 2700 mile trip to Portland and Seattle in May (that's a lot of Supercharging stops) and dealing with my driveway in the snow next winter. I've got a couple of years to decide; I can't use more than 25% of the federal tax credit so I want to be back in the reservation pack.

My trade-in would be the Model S, since it is now the only car I have. If I make the switch. I'd really like AWD and the bigger battery (that I am confident the 3 will have) for longer range and faster Supercharging. But I've decided that I really like the huge trunk and frunk space of the RWD S. And the car fits fine in my formerly jammed two car garage.

I'll see what I think after a 2700 mile trip to Portland and Seattle in May (that's a lot of Supercharging stops) and dealing with my driveway in the snow next winter. I've got a couple of years to decide; I can't use more than 25% of the federal tax credit so I want to be back in the reservation pack.
If the 3 looks good and has reasonable interior space, it will replace a 1st-Gen Prius. Note that we tested a Model S, found it beautiful but lacking in interior space and materials quality and bought a Prius V wagon instead.
Robin

If the 3 looks good and has reasonable interior space, it will replace a 1st-Gen Prius. Note that we tested a Model S, found it beautiful but lacking in interior space and materials quality and bought a Prius V wagon instead.
Robin
If you don't like the interior space and materials quality of the S I think that you are destined to be disappointed in the 3, a car being designed to be "more affordable" and smaller.

If you don't like the interior space and materials quality of the S I think that you are destined to be disappointed in the 3, a car being designed to be "more affordable" and smaller.
Maybe. But the new Model S seats are already far better than the ones we sat in and our mission has changed since then as well. The Model S had to replace an E-Series station wagon, swallow a concert grand harp and allow the driver enough room to operate the vehicle. It didn't (the Prius V easily manages this). So we already have a "harp hauler." The 3's only mission, if it looks good and the materials are acceptable is to be a great four-place electric sedan.
We shall see, and very shortly.
Robin

For me it will replace a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, it would replace that and my Honda Fit EV but the FIT EV will go back after the 3 year lease is up in September this year, cannot deal with another winter of 30-35 miles range on the battery and charging it everyday all winter long. Hate to get rid of the EV as I hate driving an ICE now, but the poor range in winter is too much of a pain. Looking forward to an EV with decent range.

Especially curious if you are coming from another EV

Just curious what model automobile you are coming from

Care to share why?
Especially curious if you are coming from another EV

Just curious what model automobile you are coming from

Care to share why?
2010 Prius. This my third Prius. Until I retired from self employment in Dec. 2014, I was driving all day every day. My three Priuses have been perfect for that. My Gen. 2 was still going strong at 246,000 miles. I have 222,000 on my Gen. 3. It will probably need replacing by late 2018, so I want to be prepared. Also I put 7500 watts of solar PV on my roof in June. Yep, I'm an unabashed and unapologetic liberal and treehugger. Mankind induced global warming is real. Elon is my hero. BTW I am 71 years old.

2007 Toyota Prius with 345,000 miles on it. All of my previous cars were hoopdees -- the Prius was a big step up for me, but it has paid for itself on the fuel savings. I hope to repeat that trick with the Model 3. The Prius hasn't needed much work, so I'm hoping maintenance won't be too much of an issue with the Model 3 (especially since the closest store is 2.5 hours away, and probably will be for quite a while, unless a miracle happens with Michigan law!).