Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you've had dealings with Carbon One, please read.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i exchanged emails with alan today, and he is moving forward with getting the sills produced, as he said and as you described, benji. we agreed that worrying about chatter on web forums is not a good use of his time right now, and that the best thing he can do is get product shipped, and then the proof will be in the pudding. and we agreed that this whole thing has taken a toll on his emotions, which led to his frustration and his posting. so while he flared up when he felt like he was being put on the defensive by the head moderator of the tesla board, he is resolved to let his actions speak rather than words.

happily, speaking of that proof, it looks like the pudding machine is now working, so some will hopefully be on the way shortly to those who have quietly and patiently waited for a long, long time. and once that happens, G3's reputation will be defined by its parts more than commentary from people on forums.

i for one look forward to seeing another reliable supplier of CF parts for teslas step into the fray, as i have experienced first hand the benefit of having more than one supplier in the marketplace, with others like tesla and al & eds dropping their prices significantly with the entrance of carbon one into the market.

Here is some good news. The first set of sills will ship to Jaff within the next few days, and the plan from here out is to take care of one set every 2 weeks until the list is taken care of. This is just for door sills of course, but at least half the backlog will be cleared once these parts finally ship. Obviously this has taken much longer than Alan would have hoped, and of course way much longer than anybody waiting for these parts would have liked to wait for them. But it's certainly a big step in the right direction and I'm very thankful to both Alan and John P. for the progress. Here is a list of people waiting for sills and the order they are due to ship:

1) Jaff (Feb. 2011)
2) Felix (Feb. 2011)
3) Donauker (Feb. 2011)
4) Sparrow (Feb 2011)
5) Bonnie (Mar. 2011)
6) Stryder (Mar. 2011)
7) PV-EV (Jun 2011)
8) Smorgasbord (order date ?) ** need to replace right side defective sill ***

And finally some pics from Alan of Jaff's door sills:

ee51c431.jpg

f0a26691.jpg

995df70f.jpg

52e740d9.jpg

Are there varying qualities of resin and cabon fiber that can be used in these sorts of things?

I sometimes see low end cars around here with carbon fiber hoods, trunk lids, and wings that discolor and/or start to chip/peel after a few years.
Beyond getting a part that looks good at first, do we have some history of how they hold up over time?

Yes, different resins have different reactions to UV and some can yellow over time. I have to assume that Alan and John have done their homework and won't have this problem.

I'm excited that Alan and John are still moving forward on this. Thanks for the update Benji and ipdamages!

After I asked that question someone sent me pictures of their C.O. sills saying that they do chip if you aren't careful with them.

Attachments

• cf1.jpeg
    cf1.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 191
  • cf2.jpeg
    cf2.jpeg
    722.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Here is some good news. The first set of sills will ship to Jaff within the next few days, and the plan from here out is to take care of one set every 2 weeks until the list is taken care of. This is just for door sills of course, but at least half the backlog will be cleared once these parts finally ship. Obviously this has taken much longer than Alan would have hoped, and of course way much longer than anybody waiting for these parts would have liked to wait for them. But it's certainly a big step in the right direction and I'm very thankful to both Alan and John P. for the progress. Here is a list of people waiting for sills and the order they are due to ship:

1) Jaff (Feb. 2011)
2) Felix (Feb. 2011)
3) Donauker (Feb. 2011)
4) Sparrow (Feb 2011)
5) Bonnie (Mar. 2011)
6) Stryder (Mar. 2011)
7) PV-EV (Jun 2011)

GREAT news!! Have been afraid to keep the contact since Allan got a tiny bit frustrated with some forum members a while back...... This really is good news :)

After I asked that question someone sent me pictures of their C.O. stills saying that they do chip if you aren't careful with them.

Actually, the photos of what you just posted are not from chips in the carbon fiber, but rather there is something protruding upward in that spot under the Roadster's door sills causing the damage. I have the exact same thing in the same spot on both my right and left sills, and Alan mentioned to me he noticed something similar even on a set of OEM sills. One of these days I'm going to pull my sills off and try to figure out what it is, but it looks like something like a screw head could be causing it. Alan also noted that the new sets they are working on now have a layer of durable foam on the bottom to make them stronger and thicker which will help prevent this sort of damage.

This was posted in March ... has anyone received anything?

1) Jaff (Feb. 2011)
2) Felix (Feb. 2011)
3) Donauker (Feb. 2011)
4) Sparrow (Feb 2011)
5) Bonnie (Mar. 2011)
6) Stryder (Mar. 2011)
7) PV-EV (Jun 2011)