Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IFTTT and Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if Maker could be used to do this? Trick would be how to trigger it at a preset time.

Not as far as I can tell.

You can have the IF part be that it's 10pm via one of the calendar triggers

or

You can have the IF part be that your Tesla is not plugged in (sent as a Maker trigger)

but you need a hypothetical IFTANDTTT (If This AND This Then That) to make this work.

You can have an external program do the AND part first and send the results into IFTTT as a single trigger
You can chain to gather a bunch of Maker events with an external "web hook" app that checks that it both "after 10pm" AND "Tesla is not charging"

So silly. It should't be hard to make a user friendly service with a bit more logic and some simple comparisons and conditional triggers.

Not as far as I can tell.

You can have the IF part be that it's 10pm via one of the calendar triggers

or

You can have the IF part be that your Tesla is not plugged in (sent as a Maker trigger)

but you need a hypothetical IFTANDTTT (If This AND This Then That) to make this work.

You can have an external program do the AND part first and send the results into IFTTT as a single trigger
You can chain to gather a bunch of Maker events with an external "web hook" app that checks that it both "after 10pm" AND "Tesla is not charging"

So silly. It should't be hard to make a user friendly service with a bit more logic and some simple comparisons and conditional triggers.
Yes, this is what I see as the difficulty. I could theoretically run a cron job on my Linux box to do the lookup, but that's getting complicated. Maker could probably offer the ability to run at preset times too...

And/Or statements are really needed. Same thing goes for triggering function by GPS location... 'turn on the light in the garage when I go through the zone'... too bad if you're LEAVING the house and drive through those GPS coordinates! You'd need the ability to either note direction or use two zones to detect direction... 'if A noted first and B noted second, do this... if B noted first and A second, do something else'.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to work out whether Node Red would be capable of this...?

- - - Updated - - -

I have written and tweeted IFTTT many times to get them to incorporate some kind of Boolean logic or nested recipes. Not even an acknowledgement.
The more I look at this problem and home automation in general, the more I see that there are too many different devices talking too many different languages. IFTTT seems to be an effort to pull them together, but it has a LONG way to go...

Reactions: markn455
I have a heavily automated home with about 70 devices connected to my smartthings hub, and have yet to find a good use case to connect my MX to Ifttt or the hub. I use the excellent android app Dashboard for Tesla to notify and (when needed) automate charging.

I have a heavily automated home with about 70 devices connected to my smartthings hub, and have yet to find a good use case to connect my MX to Ifttt or the hub. I use the excellent android app Dashboard for Tesla to notify and (when needed) automate charging.
Unfortunately, most of the ideas I've pondered require (or might require) some support from Tesla. Or require an account with a variety of other apps. It would be ideal to consolidate! To name a few:

- remind me to plug in if it's a certain time in the evening and not yet connected.
- check my calendar for meetings the next day and note locations - remind if more range than typical is needed (so I can up the charge level that night) if a distant meeting is recognized.
- use the GPS information in the car to trigger other recipes beyond the Homelink and air suspension the car does already.
- provide notification of vampire loss and warn if the car has been left idle and unplugged too long.
- start the HVAC if my phone gets within a certain distance of a geofenced parking lot
- turn of my home security when I enter Homelink geofenced area
- etc...

Unfortunately, most of the ideas I've pondered require (or might require) some support from Tesla. Or require an account with a variety of other apps. It would be ideal to consolidate! To name a few:

- remind me to plug in if it's a certain time in the evening and not yet connected.
- check my calendar for meetings the next day and note locations - remind if more range than typical is needed (so I can up the charge level that night) if a distant meeting is recognized.
- use the GPS information in the car to trigger other recipes beyond the Homelink and air suspension the car does already.
- provide notification of vampire loss and warn if the car has been left idle and unplugged too long.
- start the HVAC if my phone gets within a certain distance of a geofenced parking lot
- turn of my home security when I enter Homelink geofenced area
- etc...
I think you are correct that this would require a variety of services and apps.

Dashboard provides rudimentary notification and automation for charging.
EVE for Tesla can integrate with IFTTT but I have never used it. Sad that evMote is gone.
Tasker or Automagic could do the geofencing and may be able to integrate with your Tesla through EVE and IFTTT?

Absolutely need Android to make this work.