Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IFTTT with TeslaFi to soak up excess solar generation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bear with me, I think I've stumbled across a good idea...

So I'm considering a solar install shortly. I'll be installing a battery as part of this but like the idea of 'soaking up' excess solar generation to charge my M3LR when it is on the drive during the day. I know the Zappi and Hypervolt (and some others) have this functionality built in as long as CT clamps are installed in the right locations. I like the look of the Zappi as it feels like there's more active development going on (might be wrong..) but I currently have a tethered PodPoint which will shortly be 2 years old and is in good working order so it seems a waste to replace it so soon (I also have a EVChargeKing charge cable installed on it so I can use the 'Tesla button' to stop charge/open and close the flap which I love and I'm unclear if the same cable/connector pigtail would fit in a tethered Zappi? Anyone?)

Anyway I know I can manually adjust the charging amps on the Tesla app so I could use the PodPoint to soak up excess solar but it would be a very manual process to check, monitor and adjust constantly. Like many others with equally 'dumb' chargers I imagine. I'm looking at the GivEnergy systems for the inverter and battery as part of my solar installation, I believe these (like other manufacturers) can export data in real time to other platforms as I've seen on other forums people using all sorts of apps and platforms to manage their solar/battery systems. Assuming my understanding is correct, could the data streams relating to excess generation/export not be transferred to some sort of platform with an IFTTT type functionality, which then in turn sends an instruction via my TeslaFi to start/stop/adjust the charge rate accordingly? Thus making my PodPoint appear rather intelligent?

Has anyone else thought of or done this already? Are there apps or platforms which offer this functionality I've missed?

Reactions: Toblerone
My experience with IFTTT is that it's pretty slow and unreliable for doing anything in near real time. I use Home Assistant and have the car and PV integrated in to that.

Bear in mind that the minimum charging rate of the car is 6A, so it's quite easy to end up drawing from the mains, depending on the size of the PV and whether there's passing cloud, etc.

Reactions: CMc1