Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ignore navigation at your own peril!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, on the home stretch of a road trip when I might not have even used navigation, it routed me quite a longer way. Because the system had been behaving wonky (see my post on Google Maps not showing route during navigation), I ignored navigation and took my usual route - even after repeated instructions to make a U-turn. No traffic highlights were being displayed while Nav was active (a temporary bug), and there was no warning or explanation about the the unusual instruction (ie to go south when my destination was north). Turns out there had been a fatal fiery accident on a 3-mile long bridge that closed the bridge for about 6 hours. Nav was routing me to the next closet, but more southerly crossing. Ended up taking an extra 40 miles and 2 hours in traffic to get home.

My wife kept saying - aren't you glad I made you stop at that last supercharger to get some extra buffer. Without it, I had about a 40 mile buffer for an 80 mile segment, which I thought should have been plenty, but would have really pushed it close. In the end, the only thing with range anxiety was my bladder :biggrin:

I've had the exact opposite experience - the real-time traffic was showing a short stretch of highway in red ahead - but not indicating any major delay, so the route kept me on the highway. After I passed the point of no return - and was stuck on the highway, it became clear that I should have ignored the software - and taken an earlier exit to avoid sitting in my car for over an hour while an accident was cleared ahead.

The navigation software for my previous Lexus (built over 8 years ago) was one of the first generation real-time traffic systems. The real-time traffic data was limited to only the major roads - and only inside the major cities. But even with that limited data, it provided much more information about upcoming traffic conditions.

When there were traffic problems ahead - it would pop up a warning. It would also provide an indication about the type of problem - such as an accident or construction, before offering to re-route around the restriction.

Still hoping the Tesla navigation software will provide more information about upcoming traffic conditions - early enough for the driver to consider alternate routes.

I don't have a MS yet, but have found in general that traffic monitoring on Nav systems to be highly inaccurate... That's why I solely rely on my Waze app whenever I need GPS. Heck, I don't think I've used my in-car Nav for almost a year!

Now that waze is google, google has been showing in some apps realtime alternate routing. You see it as alternate grey routes that pop up saying "3 min faster", "5 min slower" etc.
The Google maps mobile app is less aggressive than the waze app at assuming you want 1-min saving detours; but the info is there.
Wonder if it's that Google doesn't give that data to 3rd party apps or the API is there but the Tesla app logic is not using it.

My problem is that the system does not say something to the effect of 're-routing to save time' - its just suddenly pointing to a different route. It has certainly (in the recent past at least) been flaky enough that I don't trust it. Last week it re-routed me and it turned out there was a broken down truck on the Bay Bridge screwing everything up - but I didn't know that was the reason for the re-direct. So a message would really help.

It has certainly (in the recent past at least) been flaky enough that I don't trust it.
So a message would really help.
e
A message definitely would have helped. I didn't trust the system either particularly because of the route display and traffic display issues I was having too (fixed later by a reboot). I don't think I had a clue by having the navigation change in route. The accident occurred before I left the Ocala supercharger, so the initial route had me crossing river well south of what would have been the normal way home. I was very persistent in ignoring all of the instructions to go the way the navigation wanted me to.