Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS 2016 EV/Hybrid Crash Tests - Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the weight, the P100D only earns an acceptable rating on the roof instead of good.
And here's the text from the press release:
Two electric cars miss IIHS awards

The Model S, a large luxury sedan, earns good ratings in all IIHS crashworthiness evaluations except the challenging small overlap front crash test, in which it earns an acceptable rating. Despite lengthening the side curtain airbags to improve small overlap protection in the Model S, Tesla ran into problems in the test when the safety belt allowed the dummy's torso to move too far forward. That allowed the dummy's head to hit the steering wheel hard through the airbag. Measurements from the dummy indicated that injuries to the head, along with the lower right leg, would be possible in a real-world crash of the same severity.

The ratings for the Model S apply to 2016 and 2017 cars built after October 2016. Tesla says it made a production change on Jan. 23 to address the head-contact problem, and IIHS will test the updated vehicle for small overlap protection as soon as it can be delivered.

One version of the Model S, the P100D, also falls short on roof strength, which is important for protecting people in a rollover crash. The rating is based on a strength-to-weight ratio. The P100D has the same roof structure as other Model S versions but is heavier, due to a larger battery, so it earns an acceptable rating.

The current version of the Model S hasn't yet been rated for front crash prevention. While automatic braking equipment comes standard, Tesla hasn't yet activated the software for all vehicles.

The 2017 Model S isn't available with anything other than poor-rated headlights. Tesla says it is working with its supplier to improve the headlights, and IIHS will evaluate the new ones when they are available.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Interesting (& disappointing) results - will be high on Musk's agenda now...ouch - dropped the ball slightly on P100D & roof...

I am confused with respect to the applicability of these ratings to the car's manufacturing dates..

* This rating applies to cars built after Oct 2016 (mine was built in Sept). hhmm. but there were likely no difference to the design/structure compared to any other facelift car (built since Mid 2016). So why doesn't it affect all facelift cars? Even facelift cars didn't have any structural changes as I understand it - so the small offset rating should apply to all Tesla Model Ss. Wouldn't it?
* Poor headlights in 2017 cars. Again, I don't think the headlights were updated since the facelift? So all facelift headlights should have poor rating, right?

Bet Tesla wasn't looking for this "distraction" during their rush for M3 production.

I would also think it applies to at least to all Facelift cars, but due to the AP2 changes, which also represent a larger change they probably limited the results to officially only apply to those cars, because that's what they actually tested.

Regarding the headlights:
upload_2017-2-1_12-40-24-png.212831

upload_2017-2-1_12-53-17-png.212833

I already had the impression that the Xenon headlights from my previous car (Audi A5) were as good (or even better) than the current full led headlights on the Tesla. This test confirms it.
If I compare the led headlights with the led headlights of the new Audi, Mercedes and BMW headlights then there is a huge difference. Especially the adaptive part. This as the German brands change the light around vehicles, persons etc which works almost perfect.

seat belt allowed too much movt. Tesla to fix with a tweak.

upload_2017-2-1_7-32-28.png

"Injury measures

A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that head injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. Measures indicate that injuries to the right lower leg also would be possible.

Restraints and dummy kinematics
The dummy’s head contacted the frontal airbag but started to slide off the left side because the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the head and torso. The side curtain airbag deployed and has sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The side torso airbag also deployed."
Vehicle details

"To address the problem, Tesla said it made a production line change in January that it expects to address the issue."

Tesla's model s falls short of top safety rating awarded to 42 other cars

and a prior change:
"Beginning with 2016 models built after September 2016, the side curtain airbags were lengthened to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.)"

Glad to hear the headlights are getting looking into now. They've clearly been poor since 2012. Tesla should consider doing more night-time testing, see exhibit (a) above and (b) the Model X ghosting issue well doc'd in the Model X forums.

I found the rationale behind the roof rating interesting:

"One version of the Model S, the P100D, also falls short on roof strength, which is important for protecting people in a rollover crash. The rating is based on a strength-to-weight ratio. The P100D has the same roof structure as other Model S versions but is heavier, due to a larger battery, so it earns an acceptable rating."

My recollection is that the original testing was performed on the S85 model, which had an (initial) curb weight of 4,647 lbs. They have reduced weight on the cars over time with running design changes,

I've seen weights for the P100D list at 4,925 - 4,945 lbs. Basically a 300 lb. difference.

So, did they actually test the roof strength again? It seems a bit odd, or just base it off a calculation? It seems a bit odd that a vehicle with a roof structure so strong that it actually broke the testing machine the first time, is now getting a downgraded "acceptable" rating for only a 6% change in weight.

In addition as the car chassis weight has decreased, and yet the P100D's battery weight has increased, it would seem likely the center of gravity is also now lower. (Although the secondary front motor could change this). I'd be interested in knowing how that affects rollover.

On edit... ahh I see they are actually comparing it to an S60 originally, which had a listed weight of 4,452 lbs

Last edited:
and a prior change:
"Beginning with 2016 models built after September 2016, the side curtain airbags were lengthened to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.)"
This is something we've kind of expected for awhile. I got a lot of 'disagrees' for a post speculating that the reason Tesla hadn't pushed the IIHS to test the Model S, despite IIHS offering, was because they were worried it wouldn't do well in the small overlap frontal test. The airbag change basically confirmed that, though, and it looks like there's a seatbelt issue too. Pretty disappointing performance.

I don't think anyone's surprised about the headlights, though. The original HIDs weren't great, and anecdotally from a few nights in a loaner, the updated lights are worse.

So they've got a little work to do. Hopefully they can learn from this and get some more fixes out.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
While this sounds disappointing, is it fair to say that the Tesla is still a far more safer car than competitors due to automatic emergency braking? Assuming your not using AP, does the Tesla provide any additional safety features that other car's don't yet?

I just got my 2015 CPO. I am not sure how my year fared, but from the comments above, it sounds like this was a new test that was run. The one thing I have been disappointed about in my car is the headlights. I expected them to be brighter at night. I got my wife a new Infiniti QX60 3 weeks before I got my car and I was blown away with how much visibility at night they gave off. I am sure that had to do with the fact it's an SUV and perhaps is higher up, but not sure.