TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

IIHS 2016 EV/Hybrid Crash Tests - Video

Discussion in 'Model S' started by K-MTG, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

You can get Automatic Emergency Braking on a Hyundai, Chevrolet, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler, VW......you get the picture.

• Informative x 1
  2. michaelwb

michaelwb Member

Posted this in the other thread; basically there were a series of improvements made in 2016 to improve IIHS crash performance:

Tesla & BMW Fall Short in IIHS Safety Tests

"Improvements over time: Today we learn that Tesla made changes in 2016 to improve IIHS test performance. Models built after August 2016 have improved head restraints. Models built after September 2016 have redesigned curtain airbags for improved small overlap performance. Models built after October 2016 have reinforced B-pillars and roofrails, as well as deployment guides for the side curtain airbags, for improved side impact protection and roof strength."

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

4. maxell2hd

maxell2hd Member

#24 maxell2hd, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Yes the IIHS does test it and you can read the crush performance on their website. The earlier report of a machine breaking looks to be an exaggeration given the good but not exceptional score.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I am disappointed about the headlight performance. Why does it take IIHS to test this for Tesla to make improvement? These headlights are not new and inadequacies in performance should be noted during vendor / prototype evaluation. Paying $100k+ for a vehicle where a basic component under-performs is disappointing. I have a 90D that is about to enter production next week, I wonder if I can get it delayed by a couple of months so this can be sorted out first.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Maybe someone knows for sure, but it's my understanding that there have been B pillar changes between that original test and this one. It was one of the few components made of steel, so could have been a candidate for weight reduction if they thought they could do so without sacrificing strength.

7. yesup

yesup Member

This should not be too surprising once Tesla decided to save some money to go with LED reflectors design rather than LED projectors for the headlights.

LEDs are not necessarily better than HID, and projectors are not always better than reflectors. But in tight spots and very small space for each light element as in Tesla headlights design, projectors would give you much better light control than reflectors.

Seriously, if Toyota Corolla can put a LED projector as standard equipment in a $20k car, Tesla has no excuse not to use one in a $100+ car.
    And yes, the Toyota Corolla single LED projector performed better than the Tesla LED matrix reflectors.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Will the X ever be tested? Elon said it should be the safest SUV?

9. gghahram

gghahram Member

I was seriously considering ordering an x but will hold off for now until everything has been worked out.

10. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

What do we think the chances of an after delivery retrofit or upgrade would be? Have this happened in the history of automobiles before? I would gladly pay for a reasonable cost upgrade, or else I may have to forfeit my deposit and not take delivery

11. oktane

oktane Active Member

Tesla won't hesitate to compromise your safety in exchange for saving $20 per side in a proper LED projector. When I first picked up my car I kept rubbing my eyes thinking I was just really tired, wondering why I couldn't see the lanes as well as usual. In addition to the general build of the car, the door seals, the single-pane glass, the poor sound insulation, the crappy headlights make me feel great about my $155,000 purchase!

Oh, and improper roll cage testing, badly designed seat belts, lack of AP, lack of entry level collision avoidance features..........great job Tesla I recommend all my friends wait until the next iteration on EV ... and after reading this probably from a competitor that puts safety first over profits and gizmos that don't even work (what do the 8 cameras do on my car again?).

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The headlight issue is one more thing I'll add to the waiting list if/when I upgrade my AP1 car to AP2.

I have the HID lights right now, and I'm pretty happy with them. There is no way I want to downgrade on something so monumentally important.

13. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I'm only disappointed in the headlights being significantly shy of adequate. That's inexcusable.

14. MickC

MickC Member

Not going to happen. If Tesla would change/improve the headlights, then it would only be for new productions.

I love the look of the led lights, but not the performance.

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

16. chadever

chadever Member

Super disappointing. The Model S doesn't just come to a stop when it hits the wall, it bounces back. I can't imagine how hard that would be on your neck.

By comparison, the Volvo S90 just keeps on chuggin'

• Informative x 1
  17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Certainly not Tesla, but I'm sure at least a few companies will come out with upgrade kits.

I got an upgrade kit for my Jeep Wrangler which had the worst lights I've ever used. Completely, and totally inexcusable.

18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

It is even feasible to upgrade the headlights aftermarket? How would any adaptive turn optics work?
    My delivery manager said that Tesla is making some changes to address the short comings highlighted by IIHS tests, I pressed him for specifics and will post what I find out here.

19. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

This crash type is something Volvo specifically identified long ago as a potential problem. They'd been testing and designing their cars to perform well in this type of crash since before the IIHS even started testing for it. There's some discussion of it when the new test was launched here:

In general, they've placed a strong rigid brace from the front crash structure up to the A pillar, which results in the deflection of the vehicle so it can maintain momentum. For example, the XC90 is considered to have aced the test:

There's no reason Tesla couldn't replicate these results. Even with the crash structure as-is, there's a pretty good chance the Model S would have gotten a good rating if the seat belts had performed better. So Tesla's in a pretty good spot here. Time to utilize that rolling improvement process, I think.

• Informative x 1
  20. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

#40 bhzmark, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    It seems from the video that everything in front of and around the wheel gives way nicely, but then behind the wheel something mush sturdier hits the barrier and stops the car's forward progress quite violently.

I wonder if it isn't the battery pack which just after the wheel comes out to the edge of the car.

upload_2017-2-2_15-43-11.png

Maybe a better design would make it more of a V shape to glance/deflect off those immovable object hits.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1