Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS has no plans to test the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been posted but I found this article with a very strange statement:

The Model S has not yet been evaluated in crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Since the institute’s tests are different from N.H.T.S.A.’s, and some are more demanding, there is no way to know what the results will be until the institute, which is financed by the insurance industry, actually smashes a few Tesla E.V.’s. Tesla put in a request to undergo the institute’s testing regimen, but no tests are currently planned, said Joe Nolan, the vice president for vehicle research at the institute.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-safety-rating-inform-overall-vehicle-safety/

Is it because they feel there is not enough Tesla Model S cars on the road? I know the IIHS has not been a fan of Tesla overall but I would expect them to do a test. I hope they change their mind.

I am pretty sure that Model S would hold up well in IIHS tests.

The key differences between NHTSA and IIHS are:

Front test: IIHS does a partial overlap and small overlap test, which slams about 40% and 20% of the test vehicle into a barrier. This concentrates force onto a smaller area of the car.

Model S already demonstrated ability to do well in this test during a collision with a Honda Accord.

Side test: IIHS uses a higher, heavier ram to simulate an SUV or pickup strike. IIHS instituted this test to highlight the need for side impact and curtain airbags.

Model S should have no problem here.

Rollover Test: IIHS requires crush force of 4x or more vehicle weight before roof deforms around 7" to earn a Good rating.

Model S broke a test machine at force equivalent to 4x Model S stacked on top. I don't think this test will present any issues.

I hope that IIHS does test the Model S. I am sure that it would earn a Top Safety Pick + designation.

I'll admit to being a cynic regarding insurance. I would say that without IIHS tests, they can justify higher premiums because they "don't know" while they quietly expect the car to be very safe.
Well, that certainly is cynical, but I'm with you 100%.

Not all insurance companies practice great ethics. WA state just slapped fines on three Hartford companies for overcharging thousands in WA.

Last edited:
I think they do all cars of a certain class together. If the mid-size luxury class (or full size, not sure how IIHS classifies the model S) isn't scheduled yet for its next batch, then neither will the Model S.

But if that were the case he could have just said that we will test it next schedules run of full sized luxury sedans. But that is not what he said. I just hope they don't decide to skip it. Because it would be cool if Tesla aces the NHTSA, IIHS and EuroNCAP.

Green Car Reports tweeted that IIHS initially expected only 3,000 Tesla Model S's to sell. I tweeted back, asking for a source, but didn't get any. If true, they may have a bit of egg on their face.

Since there are several redesigns and introductions coming to the full-size luxury segment (e.g. Kia K900), maybe they'll throw Tesla a bone and include it in the next round of testing. However, it is notable that they purchase the vehicles they test right off dealer lots, which they obviously can't do with the Model S, but hopefully they'll make an exception. They'd have to order a minimum of five vehicles to conduct every test, and a sixth if/when forward collision warning is made an option.

Using data from goodcarbadcar, I compiled a list of 2013 sales numbers for 2014 cars already tested in the IIHS category for "Large luxury cars".

Make & Model2013 Sales
Mercedes E Class69,803
BMW 5 Series56,863
Cadillac XTS32,559
Cadillac CTS32,343
Hyundai Genesis32,330
Audi A622,428
Lexus GS19,742
Tesla Model S
Lincoln MKS10,793
Lexus LS10,727
Infiniti Q705283
Acura RLX5053
Maserati Ghibli4768
Hyundai Equus3578
Volvo S801935

I'm hoping they don't test it until Tesla adds some of the accident prevention technologies.
I would love to see Tesla get one of the IIHS top safety ratings. Which they won't without some of that tech.

2016 IIHS safety awards still don't include the Model S

Doesn't speak too highly of the institute. I wonder what their rationale is for omitting the Model S?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

Highway Institute.PNG

Maybe because there are no 2016 Tesla Model S cars to test?

Well that might make sense but as far as I can tell from their web site they have never included the Model S in testing going back to 2012.
Since Tesla doesn't follow the traditional make/year that other car companies do the Institute knows very well the Model S you purchase now is what you'll get in 2016.
Plus they don't include Tesla in Insurance losses by make and model.
Hopefully, as Tesla sells more and more cars the Institute will include the S and eventually the X.

Isn't Tesla the only car ever to score 5* in every safety test? I thought Elon mentioned that in the unveil of the Model X, due to:

1. Before collision emergency breaking and side collission avoidance help prevent an accident

2. Having an empty front trunk results in more of a crumple zone so likelihood of injury is very small

3. The stiff battery back makes the frame very sturdy so side collision results in very little dent in the door versus other cars where just a few more inches is the difference in life and death. Someone posted here about a week ago that he was hit in the driver side door at 45mph while crossing an intersection and survived with minor injury

4. Due to battery pack the low center of gravity makes it almost impossible to rollover

5. As you mentioned the roof crush broke a machine and there was a woman who had a huge tree trunk fall on her Model S in a landslide (also on the forum somewhere) and the roof had minimal damage saving her whole family from injury.