Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS implementing new safeguard rating for advanced driver assist systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is how every other manufacturer handles Lane Keep Assist. Put turn signal on, turn wheel with a little force to disengage lane keep(autosteer), once lane change is complete, lane keep turns back on once it detects lines on both sides. You don't have to re-engage autosteer every time you change lanes.
I have driven BMW iX, Id.4 I-pace and e-tron. All had "Driving Assistant pro", "Travel assist", ACC with steering assist" and "adaptive cruise assist" as names on their autopilot equialent.

These are not to be confused with a simple "lane keep assist" that will only pingpong the car if going towards a lane marker without blinking.

All of these are APs active even after manual lane corrections, but you have activate them first.
LKA on the other hand is always active by default from startup.

I have driven BMW iX, Id.4 I-pace and e-tron. All had "Driving Assistant pro", "Travel assist", ACC with steering assist" and "adaptive cruise assist" as names on their autopilot equialent.

These are not to be confused with a simple "lane keep assist" that will only pingpong the car if going towards a lane marker without blinking.

All of these are APs active even after manual lane corrections, but you have activate them first.
LKA on the other hand is always active by default from startup.
So those lane centering systems allow you to say swerve to avoid pothole or road debris without actually turning the lane centering off.

So those lane centering systems allow you to say swerve to avoid pothole or road debris without actually turning the lane centering off.
Yes for LKA and yes for the driver assist.

When driving manually, LKA will always be active above a certain speed. You steer manually and can do any evasive maneuvre. Some drivers find LKA annoying when going fast on narrow roads, cutting corners and when they need to get close to the edge because of oncoming traffic.

For drivers assist/German autopilot, you can manually assist within lane or do evasive manoeuvre, and system will still be active and settle within the lane and autosteer afterwards. These are not only lane centering, they autosteer in bends.

Yes for LKA and yes for the driver assist.

When driving manually, LKA will always be active above a certain speed. You steer manually and can do any evasive maneuvre. Some drivers find LKA annoying when going fast on narrow roads, cutting corners and when they need to get close to the edge because of oncoming traffic.

For drivers assist/German autopilot, you can manually assist within lane or do evasive manoeuvre, and system will still be active and settle within the lane and autosteer afterwards. These are not only lane centering, they autosteer in bends.
If they can do all that, why ever have them turn off (the lane centering options)?

If they can do all that, why ever have them turn off (the lane centering options)?
LKA is never off. You can turn it off for the rest of the rude.

Autosteer, you don't always want the car trying to drive itself? Auto -speed, distance and steering is useful in some scenarios, but a nuisance in others. I think it is logical that you activate that function on demand.

I don't understand why you call them "lane centering" when they have similar capabilities to Tesla autopilot.

LKA is never off. You can turn it off for the rest of the rude.

Autosteer, you don't always want the car trying to drive itself? Auto -speed, distance and steering is useful in some scenarios, but a nuisance in others. I think it is logical that you activate that function on demand.

I don't understand why you call them "lane centering" when they have similar capabilities to Tesla autopilot.
Autosteer is lane centering. Tesla also has lane keep assist that sorta works, lol.

I guess if you want to be really specific Autosteer can make turns and change lanes on its own, which kind of means it is more than lane centering, but for most lane centering is where it is at.

Autosteer is lane centering. Tesla also has lane keep assist that sorta works, lol.

I guess if you want to be really specific Autosteer can make turns and change lanes on its own, which kind of means it is more than lane centering, but for most lane centering is where it is at.
I understand. For me, lane centering is lane keep assist/LKA. It will bounce you back from crossing the lane sometimes, but never steer through a turn. It is for saying It if one falls asleep or similar, slowly drifting.