Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS: New Tesla Model 3 Reflector Headlights Improve Car’s Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tiny tweaks improve safety.

No car is safe at night if you can’t see the road that lies ahead. Yet, few safety agencies test headlights. One exception is the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).

According to the IIHS, any Tesla Model 3 built after June 2018 has a “good” rating for standard LED reflector headlights. Meanwhile, those built before June 2018 only were rated “acceptable.”

The IIHS has yet to release full test results for the Model 3. However, this “good” headlight rating opens the door for a higher overall score. We expect the full results to be released soon, but the IIHS seems content to tease for now. Fortunately, we already know the Model 3 is safe, so says the NHTSA.

See more on initial IIHS tests of the Model 3 here.

The 2018 Tesla Model 3 now earns a good rating for its standard LED reflector headlights for models built after June 2018. Previous models earn an acceptable rating. https://t.co/EUWXFLBnkm pic.twitter.com/TOctSTGaAl

— IIHS (@IIHS_autosafety) December 26, 2018

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
S2000 lights are very popular for swapping into other cars, ie: BMW E36 etc. They are a benchmark for sure. The projector headlights on my Acuras were very good as well, but I don't recall how they compare to the Tesla. What do you feel is lacking on the Tesla lights?

Honda did a great job with the S2000. I loved those headlights.
They are still some of the best. I know this forum is full of non-car people like @evpulse and @ShibbyRomes . And that's fine. But they just don't know enough to have an opinion on some things. This area is not even close enough that there can be a debate or discussion. Model 3 having worse headlights than a two decade old car is factual and objective.

The Model 3's reflector headlights don't even come close to the S2000's projector ones:

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
They are still some of the best. I know this forum is full of non-car people like @evpulse and @ShibbyRomes . And that's fine. But they just don't know enough to have an opinion on some things. This area is not even close enough that there can be a debate or discussion. Model 3 having worse headlights than a two decade old car is factual and objective.

The Model 3's reflector headlights don't even come close to the S2000's projector ones:

Cool story. Swap ‘em out then car guy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esquire