Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iihs - Public Doesn’t Understand Tesla Safety System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been posted before, I searched but could not find anything. I read this article in my local newspaper. It lists Tribune News Service as the source.

The article talks about driver-assist technologies by Tesla, Audi, Acura, Cadillac, BMW and Nissan but it focuses mainly on Tesla AutoPilot. IIHS says “drivers don’t fully understand the technologies’ capabilities and limitations. That disconnect between what tech can do and what people think it can do leads to risky behavior that has resulted in crashes, injuries and deaths, and it could provoke a backlash against potentially life-saving driverless cars.”

“AutoPilot created the most confusion among study respondents. Nearly half - 48% - thought it would be safe to take hands off the steering wheel when using the system. The Tesla Manual says the driver should hold the wheel at all times, and - when used as intended - AutoPilot warns drivers if they do not. Only 21% to 33% of study respondents thought (incorrectly) that it would be safe for the driver to take hands off the wheel when using the other driver assist systems.”

I do not know anything about how the IIHS study was carried out, but this does not bode well for Tesla specifically or driverless cars in general.

I know from reading multiple Tesla Model 3 forums that there are a lot of owners that definitely have a disconnect between what AutoPilot can do and what they “think” it can do. It never ceases to amaze me, by the basic questions that get asked over and over again, that there are a lot of owners on here that have never so much as read the Owner’s Manual or the Release Notes. That is really a scary thought to me that people are buying these cars, without taking the time to understanding how they function, and just “head out on the highway”!

Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? No.

I let just about anyone who wants to drive my car take it for a spin. Some people sit down in the driver seat and are like "LET'S GO!!". And I have to tell them hey there's a lot to learn here and get familiar with before we can take off. Most people aren't interested at all in the "boring" details and instead just want to floor it and turn on Autopilot immediately. So ya, not surprised at all.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I was not sure where to post this. Maybe the moderators can combine these two threads.

No problem. Since the article is about public perception of driver assist and autonomous systems in general across many different cars, not just Tesla, the Autonomous Vehicles forum is probably more appropriate IMO. This Model 3 forum is probably better for topics that just relate to the Model 3 specifically.

Despite the predictable media BS this study that tells us nothing about how Tesla drivers view the Autopilot system.

It is a survey of the general public, not Tesla drivers, who have a suite of instructions and warnings on the system's capabilities and how it is intended to be used (and not).

This Twitter thread nails it IMO.

Steven Paul Jobs on Twitter

Thanks for the Twitter thread. That makes sense that the survey was aimed at the general public and not Tesla Owners since the title says Public does not understand.

IMO it still raises a valid point that, according to numerous posts on Tesla forums, there are a lot of owners that have a disconnect in how they “think” AutoPilot” works and how it really works. There are some obvious ones on here that do not understand the difference between AP and FSD, thinking AP can totally protect them.

Thanks for the Twitter thread. That makes sense that the survey was aimed at the general public and not Tesla Owners since the title says Public does not understand.

IMO it still raises a valid point that, according to numerous posts on Tesla forums, there are a lot of owners that have a disconnect in how they “think” AutoPilot” works and how it really works. There are some obvious ones on here that do not understand the difference between AP and FSD, thinking AP can totally protect them.

So basically you just said, ‘Thanks for correcting me, but I’m still going to stick to my original incorrect assumption.’

Reactions: traxila
So basically you just said, ‘Thanks for correcting me, but I’m still going to stick to my original incorrect assumption.’

No. Thanks for correcting me about the basis of the IIHS study.

My opinion of some owners on the Tesla forums not understanding AutoPilot is just that, my opinion. If you disagree with me then fine, you are welcome to your opinion. It does not make my opinion incorrect.