Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog IIHS Test Pushes Consumer Reports to Award Top Pick Status to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Consumer Reports has reinstated the 2021 Tesla Model 3 with pure vision Autopilot as a “Top Pick” after a top safety designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Tesla is no longer equipping Model 3 sedans and Model Y SUVs with radar sensors, instead choosing a camera-based system called Tesla Vision. At the time the Tesla Vision-equipped Model 3 and Model Y went on sale, the technology’s forward crash warning (FCW) and automatic emergency braking (AEB) performance had not yet been independently tested.

“Given the IIHS’ recent evaluations of Tesla’s new camera-based system on its Model 3 and consistent with CR’s integration of IIHS ratings into our recommendations, CR is restoring the car’s Top Pick status,” Jake Fisher, senior director of CR’s Auto Test Center, said in a post.

The Model Y has not been formally tested by the IIHS, but it will likely go the way of the Model 3, leading to a Top Pick from Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports admitted the recent testing process has had difficult timing.

“While we are very glad to see the system performs well in preventing crashes, ideally consumers would not have been in a holding pattern, waiting to find out if the car they purchased has vital safety features,” Fisher said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BierNut
Too bad the IIHS AEB pedestrian rating is only the second-highest "Advanced" rating rather than the "Superior" rating, whether with the camera-only AP system or the previous combined camera plus radar system.

In the crossing child 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed is only reduced by 5 mph with the new system, compared to 12 mph with the previous radar+camera system.

Reactions: David29 and Platini
New update changes it to 80 (vs 90 with radar) and SS is back in it too. Follow still restricted to min of 3. And AFAIK auto highbeams still required (this one probably won't ever go away, though the speed/follow restrictions hopefully will in time)
So you can't turn off auto high beams in the newer vehicles without radar? Any idea if the plan is to just stop using radar all together in vehicles that have it equipped? I'd love to have my auto high beams locked on - somehow they are always getting turned off.

So you can't turn off auto high beams in the newer vehicles without radar? Any idea if the plan is to just stop using radar all together in vehicles that have it equipped? I'd love to have my auto high beams locked on - somehow they are always getting turned off.

From what I was recently told, it requires them to be on when you activate AP... but you can then turn them off without AP disengaging.

Which makes no sense- that's gotta be a bug.

Because either vision-only NEEDS them, or it doesn't.

If it NEEDS them then keeping AP on when you turn them off is a bug.

If it does NOT need them then requiring them to be on to activate AP is a bug.

ROTFL! So once another 'Consumer' organization - one that isn't funded by Ford and GM - actually tests Teslas instead of opining based on their ignorance and bias and suddenly CU approves.

Every time they make any statement about Tesla they just reinforce how out of their depth, biased and irrelevant they have become

From what I was recently told, it requires them to be on when you activate AP... but you can then turn them off without AP disengaging.

Which makes no sense- that's gotta be a bug.

Because either vision-only NEEDS them, or it doesn't.

If it NEEDS them then keeping AP on when you turn them off is a bug.

If it does NOT need them then requiring them to be on to activate AP is a bug.
If you're correct, then it must also be true that when you are driving with your high beams on and another car approaches, you must pull off the road and then lower your lights and wait for the other car to pass.

I think you don't do that, because you don't have to have high beans on to drive at night, it's just better to do so - just like Autopilot works.

If you're correct, then it must also be true that when you are driving with your high beams on and another car approaches, you must pull off the road and then lower your lights and wait for the other car to pass.

....that doesn't follow at all.

I don't need to turn on my high-beams to START driving. Ever. It's never required to have them enabled.

I DO (in a vision only car) need to turn them on to START using AP. It's alwaysrequired to have them enabled. (on the SW under discussion anyway- in case someone finds this thread later and the system has since changed)

....that doesn't follow at all.

I don't need to turn on my high-beams to START driving. Ever. It's never required to have them enabled.

I DO (in a vision only car) need to turn them on to START using AP. It's alwaysrequired to have them enabled. (on the SW under discussion anyway- in case someone finds this thread later and the system has since changed)
I thought the issue at hand was whether it was safe to have Autopilot drive with low beams since it was set to 'start' on high beams, and the objection was that if it "needed" high beams at any point it must need them all the time.