Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wet sand the scratches, clean the area with isopropyl alchohol, re-coat the area using any kind of clear coat, then polish or buff it a bit after it dries. Should look identical to the resin that makes up the rest of the piece.
Thanks. Probably easy for someone who knows wha they are doing. I’d rather just get a new one and let ikon repair this. They were very helpful on the phone.

I'm new to the Tesla world, but not new to modifying cars having put together some really great BMWs over the years. I've purchased several parts from IKON Motorsports in the past without any issues, I've always found the quality to be superb so when I saw they offered Model 3 parts, I was excited.

It also helped that in all of my searching, I did not think a single front lip out there looked any good. Most of them come too far up the bumper and looks like a cheap body kit someone glued on a Toyota Corolla. It doesn't flow and looks like an afterthought.

This was by far one of the best looking lips I could find, when I build cars they must be clean and look like they should have came like this from the factory. Not wild, just the way it should have been offered.

That said, both the weave and the fitment on this lip ($499.99) was perfect. It installed easily too, with a strip of pre-applied 3M double sided tape to hold it up against the edge, and 9 pre-drilled holes beneath it that will require some self-tapping screws. I used some stainless self-tapping screws with some washers to attach it.

Car looks spectacular.

6flMU5Q.jpg

zMZCxjx.jpg

RG09YtG.jpg

jtvWlei.jpg

cA5d3ZZ.jpg
Which turbine wheels are those? Is the rear different spec than front? Back looks to have a nice concave shape but maybe picture angle.

Hope I'm in the right place!

I recently installed the new "17-21 Tesla 3 IKON Front Bumper Lip Spoiler PP" on my M3P and took some pics for ya'll.
This is the version that does not require self tap screwing holes into your OEM panels.

As I'm trying to link the product I'm realizing they might have taken it down, unsure why...

This is the front lip after I wrapped it in a carbon fiber vinyl wrap:
20210813_171547.jpg

20210813_171746.jpg

Here's a pick of me pulling down the front of the plastic undertray to get the 6 threaded clamps in their proper place (does not to be fully removed to install the clamps):
20210813_181754.jpg

Here's a pic of Kirkland water bottles helping hold the lip to the bumper during fitment (They are the perfect height for stock height M3P):
20210813_190329.jpg

Here's the final product (I added the CF vent accents as well, I like the aggressive look it provides):
20210813_190414.jpg

What do you think?
I did use a black silicone caulk to fill the gap between the bumper and the lip. (gives a more professional finish look)
The 3M tape they provided was not strong enough.

Did you use 3M 1080 CF Wrap
nah I picked up some VVIVID XPO Black 3D Carbon Fiber 5ft x 5ft 25sq ft Cast Vinyl Decal Bubble-Free Car Wrap from amazon.
its very durable and self-healing with some heat gun action. I found it very easy to work with and very forgivable.
i've never wrapped anything before and I only had enough for 1 shot at getting it right.
if i had gone with something less forgiving i would have completely failed my first go at it.

Got my replacement from Ikon. Can you guys tell me if I’m being nit picky. There is a streak in the weave right in the middle and the two ends look like they have small cracks. Concerned they might get worse once it’s installed and it flexes. Also there are several areas missing paint and showing white. Should I let this ride? This was 550 plus tax.

Attachments

• F0279C07-1F91-42C5-B2E5-D850E6FDF907.jpeg
    F0279C07-1F91-42C5-B2E5-D850E6FDF907.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 248
  • C2C33A8D-BD80-4308-BF56-97E1480AD434.jpeg
    C2C33A8D-BD80-4308-BF56-97E1480AD434.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 214
  • AF08E7A0-8017-40F8-AC61-6FA943C26497.jpeg
    AF08E7A0-8017-40F8-AC61-6FA943C26497.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 208
Hope I'm in the right place!

I recently installed the new "17-21 Tesla 3 IKON Front Bumper Lip Spoiler PP" on my M3P and took some pics for ya'll.
This is the version that does not require self tap screwing holes into your OEM panels.

As I'm trying to link the product I'm realizing they might have taken it down, unsure why...

This is the front lip after I wrapped it in a carbon fiber vinyl wrap:
View attachment 697211
View attachment 697212

Here's a pick of me pulling down the front of the plastic undertray to get the 6 threaded clamps in their proper place (does not to be fully removed to install the clamps):
View attachment 697210

Here's a pic of Kirkland water bottles helping hold the lip to the bumper during fitment (They are the perfect height for stock height M3P):
View attachment 697209

Here's the final product (I added the CF vent accents as well, I like the aggressive look it provides):
View attachment 697208

What do you think?
I did use a black silicone caulk to fill the gap between the bumper and the lip. (gives a more professional finish look)
The 3M tape they provided was not strong enough.
I’m pretty bummed about the quality of the real cf from ikon. This is my second one and this one is full of issues. Poorly painted. Cracks. I took it to a shop and they expressed concern about fitment. It required a good deal of force to press the upper part to the bumper and around the sides. The shop seemed concerned that the tape won’t hold it. Any one have any ideas? Does anyone else make a real cf option? Would it be any better? Thanks.

I ride a Model Y but sasnr
I’m pretty bummed about the quality of the real cf from ikon. This is my second one and this one is full of issues. Poorly painted. Cracks. I took it to a shop and they expressed concern about fitment. It required a good deal of force to press the upper part to the bumper and around the sides. The shop seemed concerned that the tape won’t hold it. Any one have any ideas? Does anyone else make a real cf option? Would it be any better? Thanks.
Look up RPM

I ride a MYP but happened upon this thread. I want the Ikon Lip Spoiler for my MYP. But if RPM made this style for MYP, I’d buy it in a heart beat.

I ride a Model Y but sasnr

Look up RPM

I ride a MYP but happened upon this thread. I want the Ikon Lip Spoiler for my MYP. But if RPM made this style for MYP, I’d buy it in a heart beat.
Yeah I was considering that. RPM is a pain in the ass to deal with. They have a 4 to 8 week lead time on that one. They have all sorts of crazy rules about shipping and returns. I find that I am really put off by their business model. Pricing is hard to understand, long shipping times, nothing in stock and not a great attitude from customer service. The website has a lot of bait and switch and disclaimers. Almost like it’s confusing on purpose. Just my personal experience.

Reactions: Cypcode and MGsurf
Got my replacement from Ikon. Can you guys tell me if I’m being nit picky. There is a streak in the weave right in the middle and the two ends look like they have small cracks. Concerned they might get worse once it’s installed and it flexes. Also there are several areas missing paint and showing white. Should I let this ride? This was 550 plus tax.
Wow, that looks way worse than the other one with the surface scratches. Those were minor flaws IMO but this one looks like the weave itself is torn. I would find that unacceptable and definitely wouldn't mount it on a $50k car. Maybe just pick up the PP version and put an imitation CF wrap over it like the guy above did?

Wow, that looks way worse than the other one with the surface scratches. Those were minor flaws IMO but this one looks like the weave itself is torn. I would find that unacceptable and definitely wouldn't mount it on a $50k car. Maybe just pick up the PP version and put an imitation CF wrap over it like the guy above did?
Thanks. The pp version is sold out. They aren’t expecting more until November. Pretty bad experience with ikon. They don’t seem interested in helping. Just keep it or a refund. I was going to try to mount it but maybe I’ll send it back. The crack concerns me as it could get worse.

This is surprising. I initially thought more of Ikon. I’m assuming you ordered direct. Two things. One if you ordered direct I would have thought their customer service would have been better. Even more shocking is the apparent Quality Control or more to the point lack there of. I was initially thinking of this splitter as I feel it looks the best of what’s available but that QC is just egregious.
I would have the same concerns as to me it looks like the weave has fail potential in those spots. Im not sure if that was from the labor/manufacturing process or that happened during shipping/handling? Especially for the outlay/cost involved. Quite disappointing.

Ski

This is surprising. I initially thought more of Ikon. I’m assuming you ordered direct. Two things. One if you ordered direct I would have thought their customer service would have been better. Even more shocking is the apparent Quality Control or more to the point lack there of. I was initially thinking of this splitter as I feel it looks the best of what’s available but that QC is just egregious.
I would have the same concerns as to me it looks like the weave has fail potential in those spots. Im not sure if that was from the labor/manufacturing process or that happened during shipping/handling? Especially for the outlay/cost involved. Quite disappointing.

Ski
Agreed it’s the qc that’s the problem. They are shipping these out of the west coast. After the first one, they assured me they would look at the item before sending me the replacement. Worse yet, they had to change a shiny cf to a matte cf for me because the matte was sold out. So they actually worked on this, put it in a box and shipped it to me. There’s no way anyone could see that piece and send it out in that condition. The problem is I’m stuck because there’s almost nothing in stock and I don’t really like any of the alternatives except for the super pricey ones.

Ski
I can attest to the great quality of their PP lip itself and also their not so great customer service. As many have explained earlier in the thread, the 2 pins they ship for the wheel wells are way too large to fit into place. You have to use the stock pin with the Ikon supplied female snap to affix the lip and wheel well liner back to the body. Unfortunately, I tried to use the parts they provided and broke one female snap. When I reached out to Ikon, my first message was ignored and my follow-up got a reply that basically said "too bad, we don't have any extra snaps". If you follow the advice in this thread ie. don't use their pins, rough up the inside of the piece before applying the 3M, etc the product is great, but you'll get no instructions and don't expect any support if something fails.