Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9E604EE3-8558-442A-88DC-901A1EC6D477.jpeg 6F972113-17FB-4881-ACA0-1111DD525279.jpeg A66C46D0-3919-4A3F-961E-17D83C009AEA.jpeg 18833B58-BE8B-428D-9DCB-DF9D6DCE1070.jpeg 1D765882-32D6-4E98-AC04-7C91E0707C53.jpeg I ordered the PP version of the Ikon lip and picked it up locally in Hacienda Heights a couple days ago. While I was there, I had the chance to test fit a matte carbon lip and it does have a very good fitment. The carbon version is still different than the PP in that it doesn’t have the wrap around edges that are secured by rivets, and it doesn’t utilize the stock under tray holes. It is a very tight fit and is difficult to install by yourself in that the carbon isn’t very forgiving/bendable to allow wiggle room for the 3M adhesive to attach the lip to the bumper. The lip does in fact go all the way to the edge of the bumper IF you install the lip at the highest point possible.
Comparing the PP to some of the CF installs, the CF installs have the edge of the lip at a low point, where it basically covers the small splash lip underneath. If you look at my pics below, you can see that the lip sits fairly high. As long as you have help to install where someone else can hold the other side of the lip as you try to press against the contour of the front bumper, you should be able to get it to fit.
One word of caution, the inside edges of the CF lip has a jagged backside that marred/scratched the paint off the corner of my bumper. Fortunately it’s covered by my PP lip but for those of you who choose the CF, you should definitely put some PPF or vinyl to protect the paint.

View attachment 639802 View attachment 639803 View attachment 639805 View attachment 639806 View attachment 639807 I ordered the PP version of the Ikon lip and picked it up locally in Hacienda Heights a couple days ago. While I was there, I had the chance to test fit a matte carbon lip and it does have a very good fitment. The carbon version is still different than the PP in that it doesn’t have the wrap around edges that are secured by rivets, and it doesn’t utilize the stock under tray holes. It is a very tight fit and is difficult to install by yourself in that the carbon isn’t very forgiving/bendable to allow wiggle room for the 3M adhesive to attach the lip to the bumper. The lip does in fact go all the way to the edge of the bumper IF you install the lip at the highest point possible.
Comparing the PP to some of the CF installs, the CF installs have the edge of the lip at a low point, where it basically covers the small splash lip underneath. If you look at my pics below, you can see that the lip sits fairly high. As long as you have help to install where someone else can hold the other side of the lip as you try to press against the contour of the front bumper, you should be able to get it to fit.
One word of caution, the inside edges of the CF lip has a jagged backside that marred/scratched the paint off the corner of my bumper. Fortunately it’s covered by my PP lip but for those of you who choose the CF, you should definitely put some PPF or vinyl to protect the paint.

IKON is in Hacienda Heights? They have a store front?

View attachment 639802 View attachment 639803 View attachment 639805 View attachment 639806 View attachment 639807 I ordered the PP version of the Ikon lip and picked it up locally in Hacienda Heights a couple days ago. While I was there, I had the chance to test fit a matte carbon lip and it does have a very good fitment. The carbon version is still different than the PP in that it doesn’t have the wrap around edges that are secured by rivets, and it doesn’t utilize the stock under tray holes. It is a very tight fit and is difficult to install by yourself in that the carbon isn’t very forgiving/bendable to allow wiggle room for the 3M adhesive to attach the lip to the bumper. The lip does in fact go all the way to the edge of the bumper IF you install the lip at the highest point possible.

@Hkbruin,

Did they say IF they were making a Matte CF with the ‘wrap-around’ push pins? I’ve seen it in gloss.

Ski

They offer curb-side pickup if you arrange it via Instagram Messenger. I was able to test fit the matte CF lip because it so happened to be there, most likely from a return as they usually don’t carry the matte one since it’s practically made to order.

Gotcha. I actually wanted to try the PP but would want a true glossy CF later down the road. If I can pick up, might be easier but I think shipping is free anyway.

Gotcha. I actually wanted to try the PP but would want a true glossy CF later down the road. If I can pick up, might be easier but I think shipping is free anyway.
I too will plan on upgrading to the CF if I feel the PP doesn’t go thru catastrophic damage from my daily driving. I decided to keep it the stock plastic color as any paint job will chip unless I ppf wrap it.. At that point the cost will be the same as the matte CF version. They do offer free shipping but I couldn’t wait the 4-5 days :)

Reactions: pg62
I too will plan on upgrading to the CF if I feel the PP doesn’t go thru catastrophic damage from my daily driving. I decided to keep it the stock plastic color as any paint job will chip unless I ppf wrap it.. At that point the cost will be the same as the matte CF version. They do offer free shipping but I couldn’t wait the 4-5 days :)

Gotcha. And I assume it was a fairly easy install? BTW, does the PP have the double-sided tape along the top as well?

Gotcha. And I assume it was a fairly easy install? BTW, does the PP have the double-sided tape along the top as well?

the PP does have the double-sided tape and it sticks really well along the frontal portion, but the rounded tapered section towards the back had a bit of a minute gap but doesn’t really affect the look or performance.

I just went on a 600 mile round trip weekender to Vegas and the front lip actually added immense value to my drive. It held up well and did not incur any damage or scratches save for some unfortunate bugs.
Much like having a front wing on an F1 car, that little bit of lip made the car feel much more stable at 84mph even with strong crosswinds through Baker and Yermo. The front end has much more responsiveness at changing directions but the biggest thing I noticed was how straight the car was tracking without using autopilot. Additionally, I almost think that the turbulent wind noise around the side window near my head has diminished as well. I was averaging around 279kw/h going around 80-85mph so that’s the not too bad for efficiency. I’m running on 5k miles old Continentals and the ride/drive was a pleasant one with AP.
I am really digging the design and function of the lip and I’m also glad to report that it clears parking blocks and typical sidewalk curbs if your car is not lowered.

Reactions: OUengineer
the PP does have the double-sided tape and it sticks really well along the frontal portion, but the rounded tapered section towards the back had a bit of a minute gap but doesn’t really affect the look or performance.

I just went on a 600 mile round trip weekender to Vegas and the front lip actually added immense value to my drive. It held up well and did not incur any damage or scratches save for some unfortunate bugs.
Much like having a front wing on an F1 car, that little bit of lip made the car feel much more stable at 84mph even with strong crosswinds through Baker and Yermo. The front end has much more responsiveness at changing directions but the biggest thing I noticed was how straight the car was tracking without using autopilot. Additionally, I almost think that the turbulent wind noise around the side window near my head has diminished as well. I was averaging around 279kw/h going around 80-85mph so that’s the not too bad for efficiency. I’m running on 5k miles old Continentals and the ride/drive was a pleasant one with AP.
I am really digging the design and function of the lip and I’m also glad to report that it clears parking blocks and typical sidewalk curbs if your car is not lowered.

Nice! I got my lip this weekend but have not installed it. Figured it was worth the $160 gamble. Suprisingly, it got here in 3 days from order. LOL I'll find some time to install it this week. Hopefully I can without jacking the car because Im just lazy like that. Hahaha!

@Hkbruin,
What was your efficiency 80-85 before installing the lip?

Ski

@pg62,
Why would they include u-clips that are literally “half” the length they need to be? Where’s the QC? So how’s the lip look otherwise? Fitment?

Ski

I did not install it yet because I didnt want to rely on just the double sided tape. I emailed Ikon and waiting for response. Looking at longer clips option as well in case. The clips are different from the normal one I see in cars though.

0F999C51-95BA-42C4-AF2D-BE3DE93AD5E2.png
I thought that too initially, but that’s not where it’s supposed to go. You need to separate the undertray from the front bumper and attach the clips to the bumper. It took a bit of force to separate it and you need to remove all of the clips underneath and 3 retainer clips along the side of each wheel well to allow the bumper to wiggle and move. At first I thought I had to remove the entire bumper but it’s all the bottom retainer clips and the ones in the wheel well and also 3 along the bottom of the fender lining. I have some video footage of it when it was off if any of you want to see it.

View attachment 641518
I thought that too initially, but that’s not where it’s supposed to go. You need to separate the undertray from the front bumper and attach the clips to the bumper. It took a bit of force to separate it and you need to remove all of the clips underneath and 3 retainer clips along the side of each wheel well to allow the bumper to wiggle and move. At first I thought I had to remove the entire bumper but it’s all the bottom retainer clips and the ones in the wheel well and also 3 along the bottom of the fender lining. I have some video footage of it when it was off if any of you want to see it.

Shiiii i read the instruction incorrectly then lol make me feel dumb now hahaha Can you link me to your vid?