Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope I'm in the right place!

I recently installed the new "17-21 Tesla 3 IKON Front Bumper Lip Spoiler PP" on my M3P and took some pics for ya'll.
This is the version that does not require self tap screwing holes into your OEM panels.

As I'm trying to link the product I'm realizing they might have taken it down, unsure why...

This is the front lip after I wrapped it in a carbon fiber vinyl wrap:
View attachment 697211
View attachment 697212

Here's a pick of me pulling down the front of the plastic undertray to get the 6 threaded clamps in their proper place (does not to be fully removed to install the clamps):
View attachment 697210

Here's a pic of Kirkland water bottles helping hold the lip to the bumper during fitment (They are the perfect height for stock height M3P):
View attachment 697209

Here's the final product (I added the CF vent accents as well, I like the aggressive look it provides):
View attachment 697208

What do you think?
I did use a black silicone caulk to fill the gap between the bumper and the lip. (gives a more professional finish look)
The 3M tape they provided was not strong enough.
Is the black silicone caulk easily peeled off when you have to remove the lip? I have a gap i may want to fill. Which one did you use?

I got this on last year year, and I did efficiency testing before and after installation. I have a very fixed test run for 30 miles that goes north/south to counter elevation/wind/etc. The CF lip added 4% energy consumption (lower range). This is testing at 65 and 70mph cruising speed. I've kept it on because it looks cool. I believe that the reason this lowers efficiency is because of the open underside that likely causes airflow to swirl instead of smoothly going to the rest of the underbelly. I noticed that the Unplugged Performance lip fully covers this section, and now I just saw that the PP Ikon lip has been revised to do this as well. Has anybody else with my old style or the new style done any before/after efficiency testing? Or are you only going for looks? If the new one shows efficiency improvement, I may have to consider the upgrade.
DSC09339small.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned early how the spoiler needs 20” to look right. Maybe not 20, but I like my lip much better now that I put in 19”. Here it is with very similar design wheels but 18”. I always felt like it looked too much on the chin. Now with 19”, the car somehow looks more balanced.
23696069-0496-4A4E-9285-32F2AF530EA0.jpeg

Reactions: Dysan911
I got this on last year year, and I did efficiency testing before and after installation. I have a very fixed test run for 30 miles that goes north/south to counter elevation/wind/etc. The CF lip added 4% energy consumption (lower range). This is testing at 65 and 70mph cruising speed. I've kept it on because it looks cool. I believe that the reason this lowers efficiency is because of the open underside that likely causes airflow to swirl instead of smoothly going to the rest of the underbelly. I noticed that the Unplugged Performance lip fully covers this section, and now I just saw that the PP Ikon lip has been revised to do this as well. Has anybody else with my old style or the new style done any before/after efficiency testing? Or are you only going for looks? If the new one shows efficiency improvement, I may have to consider the upgrade.
View attachment 703062View attachment 703063
This was my favorite lip (aesthetics-wise) and hearing that it's as high as a 4% decrease in range is upsetting. Thanks for the diagram, it really helped define the "swirls" part.

I imagine city driving at low speeds shouldn't affect efficiency whatsoever.

This was my favorite lip (aesthetics-wise) and hearing that it's as high as a 4% decrease in range is upsetting. Thanks for the diagram, it really helped define the "swirls" part.

I imagine city driving at low speeds shouldn't affect efficiency whatsoever.
keep in mind I'm no aerodynamics expert. Just trying to justify why there was such a change. It honestly baffles me how such a small thing could make that much difference, but I just saw a 12% increase going from 18" stock width to 19" w/ wider tires. These cars are finicky. The flat bottom is the biggest difference I see between this and the Unplugged which allegedly improves efficiency by 4%. It makes me wonder if there is a way to create a flat bottom for it just to test the theory.

Somebody mentioned early how the spoiler needs 20” to look right. Maybe not 20, but I like my lip much better now that I put in 19”. Here it is with very similar design wheels but 18”. I always felt like it looked too much on the chin. Now with 19”, the car somehow looks more balanced. View attachment 703097
Dude is that a Ferrari emblem on your hood?

Reactions: Freshness
keep in mind I'm no aerodynamics expert. Just trying to justify why there was such a change. It honestly baffles me how such a small thing could make that much difference, but I just saw a 12% increase going from 18" stock width to 19" w/ wider tires. These cars are finicky. The flat bottom is the biggest difference I see between this and the Unplugged which allegedly improves efficiency by 4%. It makes me wonder if there is a way to create a flat bottom for it just to test the theory.
Agree. The PP version seems to attach so securely between the 6 bolts, 2 plastic clips and the 3M tape as long as you sand the plastic surface and use adhesion promoter. It could easily support enough weight for them to make it solid or at least hollow with a flat underside. This was clearly more about cutting manufacturing costs and making something that "looks cool" versus functionality. I can't think of any way to fix it on the current version. You could possibly add a filler material then vinyl wrap to cover, but most fillers would shrink and crack under there then your handmade piece falls apart the first time you scrape.

Reactions: ppower
I'm new to the Tesla world, but not new to modifying cars having put together some really great BMWs over the years. I've purchased several parts from IKON Motorsports in the past without any issues, I've always found the quality to be superb so when I saw they offered Model 3 parts, I was excited.

It also helped that in all of my searching, I did not think a single front lip out there looked any good. Most of them come too far up the bumper and looks like a cheap body kit someone glued on a Toyota Corolla. It doesn't flow and looks like an afterthought.

This was by far one of the best looking lips I could find, when I build cars they must be clean and look like they should have came like this from the factory. Not wild, just the way it should have been offered.

That said, both the weave and the fitment on this lip ($499.99) was perfect. It installed easily too, with a strip of pre-applied 3M double sided tape to hold it up against the edge, and 9 pre-drilled holes beneath it that will require some self-tapping screws. I used some stainless self-tapping screws with some washers to attach it.

Car looks spectacular.

6flMU5Q.jpg

zMZCxjx.jpg

RG09YtG.jpg

jtvWlei.jpg

cA5d3ZZ.jpg
That is a sexy AF chin spoiler. I would consider this but up here, north of the 49th, in "Kuh-Nuh_Duh", it would not only act as a snow plow, but a curb-rash magnet for me, anyway. Still sexy AF, though!

As an update to me mentioning efficiency with the spoiler, I was wrong. So good news: a redesign or extra work isn’t needed. Bad news: there doesn’t seem to be a way to keep efficiency as good as stock or better. 4% loss.

Sealing the empty space did not improve airflow and improve efficiency. I borrowed some 6” tape from a buddy and covered it all.

My usual 15 mile trip north on AP, reset at exact same point on an overpass. Continue 15 miles, record results, go South and repeat the process. All cruising at 65mph. ~15mph S wind.
Without tape:
244wH/mi north
327wH/mi south

with tape:
240wH/mi north
330wH/mi south
25244EF1-31DF-4AFE-AD97-91D54F783671.jpeg
432DA6D8-035B-4093-AE83-AB736AACF672.jpeg

Reactions: Ren.OG
That's too bad, was hoping for better results.
I guess it has more to do with the amount of air it's scooping up rather than the swirls caused underneath.
I suppose so. I was completely disheartened to see no improvement. The difference shown was likely from slightly higher wind. The difference in north/south shows just how important wind speed is. 16mph wind is a 32mph difference north/south. Even a mild day will be 9mph. We all know the difference between driving 65 vs 75mph.

Note for Kpeng; Front lip looks great but are you sure your 'Genesis'(?) wheels are on the right sides of the car. I read that Tesla 'turbo' designs were to push slipstream out from the wheel wells and down the sides of the cars to aid aerodynamics. Do I have this wrong? Regards, Clive Shaw