Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IL / ComEd NetMetering +/- Hourly Price +/- Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
newbie here, on a quest to understand a little bit more about solar panels, solar batteries, net metering and hourly pricing.
Will be doing a major rehab, including new flat roofs that can get most of the south facing roof / sunshine.
In my area, Tesla Solar will only bundle PowerWalls, so the question is...
1. do I really need PowerWalls?
2. if batteries are not needed, do Tesla Solar Panels / Tesla support / software perform better than other solar panel brands, small company installs, like Silfab panels?
3. if batteries are needed, is there benefit in activating _both_ net metering and then hourly pricing program, and discharging batteries back to the grid when prices are high?
right now my rates are 6.7c flat, at 5pm the hourly rate is 15c, and at 2am it is at 3.5c
so, i guess, in answering my own question... i can buy / charge the batteries, at night at 3.5c, and then sell back at 15c...
will public utilities allow that?
I use about 800kwh per month on average, and expect to use that much with the new construction.

Wether you "need" home battery storage is a personal decision, but as for point #3, powerwalls in the US do not do that. You can not "discharge batteries back to grid when prices are high". Lots of people ask for this, tesla has not enabled this in the US, and there is no word it will be enabled.

To head off the inevitable discussion around that topic whenever someone brings it up, there are already existing threads here on that topic, and I will likely move any discussion on that specific topic to one of those existing threads. I am just letting the OP know that they wont be getting that (discharging powerwall batteries to grid, so strike all parts of that from your calculations.

@guanchon power cost by the hour? New one on me. So, when the hourly time comes, it is as you stated regardless what you use in that hour?
Or, you really mean kWh rates? If this is what you mean you really have cheap rates.

800kWh a month average is a good sized system, 9600kWh a year, especially up there with your weather patterns.