TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Illinois Bill Mandating Alternative Fuels for State Cars & Electric Charging Stations

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Curt Renz, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Last year I ran for Illinois state representative and lost to David Harris with whom I remain on friendly terms. Today he informed me that he sponsored a bill requiring 25% of state vehicles to use alternative fuels and for electric recharging stations to be built on state highways and tollways. The bill has passed the state house and senate and is awaiting the governor's signature: Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB2695

If you are an Illinois resident, please email Governor Quinn and ask him to sign the bill into law: http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/ContacttheGovernor.aspx

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

What is your read, Curt, with respect to your governor's sense on this matter? Was there something resembling bipartisan support in both chambers? It certainly is an interesting development...it would be even more interesting were it to happen in, say, North Carolina or Texas!

3. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Ahem. We're not *that* backwards in Texas. We already have alternative fuel requirements for fleet vehicles, requirements for growth in wind electricity generation (which is already capable of 10% of the total), and apparently a credit for personal EVs coming in September. But, there's always room for improvement.

NC, my other home state, on the other hand, has a huge way to go.

4. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

The one house sponsor was my former Republican opponent. The two senate sponsors are Democrats whom I know personally. All three live near me in Chicago’s northwest suburbs. The Democratic state senate president from Chicago owns a Model S and cut the ribbon on a Supercharger station in central Illinois last week. I fully expect the Democratic governor (whom I know even better than the others from the days he was a tax attorney I interviewed on my TV show) to sign the bill. But a little nudging won’t hurt, and a lot of public support may get the attention of the media.

5. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

I've also written my mayor and village trustees asking them to nudge the governor. I included the bill's house sponsor (my election opponent) in a cc. He immediately responded with thanks for my supporting his bill and for my writing the governor, the village board and the members of this message board.

6. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

You're a great asset to the cause, Curt. Hope you can get the infrastructure in place so you can actually get a Model S for yourself!

7. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Thanks, Mike. I'm still lobbying the village board.